• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Asked to cover-up in a restaurant?

HKshooter

imported post

VA requires open carry in a restaurant that serves alcohol for on premmise consumption. How many people have been asked "Hey, can you cover that thing up" or "Hey, your gun is sticking out"?

I"m especially interested in anyone asked by a manager that was not well educated on VA law.

Purpose here is to see if managers prefer concealed carry to cut back on concerned patrons.

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
imported post

I have open carried literally acouple hundred times in restaurants in VA. Literally.

I have been asked exactly once to remove the gun or leave. Exactly once. (This exactly once is also the only time I have ever been asked to remove the gun or myself from any business.)*

Separate from that exactly once, I have encountered exactly twowaitstaff whospoke about feeling nervouswith my OC. Exactly two_One of them, a busboy,gave melooks of concern mixed with antagonism at various points during my visit. The other served me again ona fewvisits after,saying nothing.

*Citizen's Tips for Successful OC Ambassadorship:

• Maintain an air of confidence.
  • Bea little cheerful; keep a lighthearted expression.
  • Keep a friendly smile chambered, and several more ontop of the stack.
  • Dress neatly; maintain grooming.
  • Condition Yellow works to detect more than criminal trouble.
  • Be ready with several practiced phrases to handle inquiries.
  • Be outgoing.Ask friendly questions of the staff that show an interest in them as a person, beyond their function.
  • Always carry a voice-recorder.

Xeni

imported post

HKshooter wrote:
VA requires open carry in a restaurant that serves alcohol for on premmise consumption. How many people have been asked "Hey, can you cover that thing up" or "Hey, your gun is sticking out"?

I"m especially interested in anyone asked by a manager that was not well educated on VA law.

Purpose here is to see if managers prefer concealed carry to cut back on concerned patrons.
In such an instance, would you be legal in concealing regardless of if you had a permit or not since your on private property and have the permission of the owner?

VAopencarry

imported post

Citizen wrote:
I have open carried literally acouple hundred times in restaurants in VA. Literally.

I have been asked exactly once to remove the gun or leave. Exactly once. (This exactly once is also the only time I have ever been asked to remove the gun or myself from any business.)*

Separate from that exactly once, I have encountered exactly twowaitstaff whospoke about feeling nervouswith my OC. Exactly two_One of them, a busboy,gave melooks of concern mixed with antagonism at various points during my visit. The other served me again ona fewvisits after,saying nothing.

*Citizen's Tips for Successful OC Ambassadorship:
  • Maintain an air of confidence.
  • Bea little cheerful; keep a lighthearted expression.
  • Keep a friendly smile chambered, and several more ontop of the stack.
  • Dress neatly; maintain grooming.
  • Condition Yellow works to detect more than criminal trouble.
  • Be ready with several practiced phrases to handle inquiries.
  • Be outgoing.Ask friendly questions of the staff that show an interest in them as a person, beyond their function.
  • Always carry a voice-recorder.
Umm.... once? maybe twice?:D

Dutch Uncle

Campaign Veteran
imported post

In about 3 years of regular OC, never. I had a security guard get snippy with me outside a restaurant, but have had no problems with any restaurant staff.

GlockMan

imported post

I actually was pulled aside by the manager's of Champps in Reston (yes, THE Champps restaurant that had an LE ordeal with oc'ers a few years back) about a month ago.

Apparently, since I was open carrying, some patron complained so the managers pulled me aside and asked if I was LE, I said "no", then asked if I could just conceal it. After explaining the stoopid VA laws regarding such activity, they said "ok" and I sat down and had my meal.

The managers were polite and cooperative. And one of them actually told me he had submitted his CHP paperwork with the county! Which begs to ask why he didn't understand that I couldn't conceal in the first place, but whatever.

Tomahawk

imported post

Xeni wrote:
HKshooter wrote:

In such an instance, would you be legal in concealing regardless of if you had a permit or not since your on private property and have the permission of the owner?
Nope. The law prohibits carrying concealed weapons in establishments that serve alcohol for consumption. I believe the only exception is the actual proprietor. No citation, so I'm risking a penalty flag, I know.

longwatch

Founder's Club Member - Moderator
imported post

Tomahawk wrote:
Xeni wrote:
HKshooter wrote:

Nope. The law prohibits carrying concealed weapons in establishments that serve alcohol for consumption. I believe the only exception is the actual proprietor. No citation, so I'm risking a penalty flag, I know.
Fail:p employees and LEOs can too.

J3. No person shall carry a concealed handgun onto the premises of any restaurant or club as defined in § 4.1-100 for which a license to sell and serve alcoholic beverages for on-premises consumption has been granted by the Virginia Alcoholic Beverage Control Board under Title 4.1 of the Code of Virginia; however, nothing herein shall prohibit any sworn law-enforcement officer from carrying a concealed handgun on the premises of such restaurant or club or any owner or event sponsor or his employees from carrying a concealed handgun while on duty at such restaurant or club if such person has a concealed handgun permit.

hawgasm

imported post

Xeni wrote:

excellent question?

could this be a way around the resturant loophole?

tarzan1888

imported post

I do not live in Virginia, but I have never been asked to cover up. I have had people comment that they were glad that I was carrying. One lady told me that she wished that her husband would carry.

Sure I get my share of looks , but mostly I get nothing. It's like they see but don't see.

Tarzan

Nelson_Muntz

Campaign Veteran
imported post

I believe the reason he asked the question is for when the RB is repealed. He wants to know if anyone has come across a restaurant manager requesting that a customer cc vice oc as a means of gauging their general comfort level during your dining experience. After the repeal you will have a choice. He would like to make his choice based on a consensus of eatery managers, either way.

To the original poster: After the repeal, just OC. If the manager requests cc, then you can legally comply if you wish to still dine there.

Skeptic

Founder's Club Member
imported post

hawgasm wrote:
Xeni wrote:

excellent question?

could this be a way around the resturant loophole?
Yeah I was wondering this myself, could we be, for example, an "event sponsor" if the owner/manager said so? The event, of course being , our lunch or dinner :lol::lol:

HKshooter

imported post

Nelson_Muntz wrote:
I believe the reason he asked the question is for when the RB is repealed. He wants to know if anyone has come across a restaurant manager requesting that a customer cc vice oc as a means of gauging their general comfort level during your dining experience. After the repeal you will have a choice. He would like to make his choice based on a consensus of eatery managers, either way.

To the original poster: After the repeal, just OC. If the manager requests cc, then you can legally comply if you wish to still dine there.

Close. Reason for post was to see how many managers would prefer CC, and
use that as leverage to help push the RB repeal.

markand

imported post

A year ago at Tony's in Manassas, one of the first responding officers instructed us to cover our weapons, if I recall correctly. We didn't. Moments later, other responding Manassas police officers apparently browbeat the owner into asking us to leave. We did.

In the spring and summer of 2000, I took some "advanced" handgun classes that spanned a couple of weekends. One of my fellow students was a NOVA police officer with whom several of us were already acquainted. When we went out to lunch, he instructed us to carry concealed in the restaurant.

Those are the only two times I can recall being asked or instructed to cover in a restaurant.

Tomahawk

imported post

markand wrote:
A year ago at Tony's in Manassas, one of the first responding officers instructed us to cover our weapons, if I recall correctly. We didn't. Moments later, other responding Manassas police officers apparently browbeat the owner into asking us to leave. We did.

In the spring and summer of 2000, I took some "advanced" handgun classes that spanned a couple of weekends. One of my fellow students was a NOVA police officer with whom several of us were already acquainted. When we went out to lunch, he instructed us to carry concealed in the restaurant.

Those are the only two times I can recall being asked or instructed to cover in a restaurant.
I hope you explained to him that's a no-no. He probably meant well, but he could get your fellow students into trouble someday with that advice.

Mike

Site Co-Founder
imported post

Xeni wrote:
The owner or his agent cannot change the law - restaurants are off limits for concealed carry. The fact that it is private property is irrelevant - remember,it is illegal to conceal carry on private property without a permit except for limited exceptions - the owner cannot change that even for himself on his own property!!

roscoe13

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Mike wrote:
Xeni wrote:
The owner or his agent cannot change the law - restaurants are off limits for concealed carry. The fact that it is private property is irrelevant - remember,it is illegal to conceal carry on private property without a permit except for limited exceptions - the owner cannot change that even for himself on his own property!!
Huh?

From § 18.2-308.:B. This section shall not apply to any person while in his own place of abode or the curtilage thereof.
Except as provided in subsection J1, this section shall not apply to:
1. Any person while in his own place of business;