• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Asked to cover-up in a restaurant?

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

roscoe13 wrote:
Mike wrote:
Xeni wrote:
In such an instance, would you be legal in concealing regardless of if you had a permit or not since your on private property and have the permission of the owner?
The owner or his agent cannot change the law - restaurants are off limits for concealed carry (only if they sell alcohol). The fact that it is private property is irrelevant - remember,it is illegal to conceal carry on private property without a permit except for limited exceptions - the owner cannot change that even for himself on his own property!!
Huh?

From § 18.2-308.:B. This section shall not apply to any person while in his own place of abode or the curtilage thereof.
Except as provided in subsection J1, this section shall not apply to:
1. Any person while in his own place of business;

Long day at the corral Mike?
Yata hey

HKshooter

imported post

roscoe13 wrot
Huh?

From § 18.2-308.:B. This section shall not apply to any person while in his own place of abode or the curtilage thereof.
And from J3:
"nothing herein shall prohibit any sworn law-enforcement officer from carrying a concealed handgun on the premises of such restaurant or club or any owner or event sponsor or his employees from carrying a concealed handgun while on duty at such restaurant or club if such person has a concealed handgun permit."

So all I need to do is get each manager to hire me as a food taster and I'm covered!

SouthernBoy

Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA
imported post

Tomahawk wrote:
markand wrote:
A year ago at Tony's in Manassas, one of the first responding officers instructed us to cover our weapons, if I recall correctly. We didn't. Moments later, other responding Manassas police officers apparently browbeat the owner into asking us to leave. We did.

In the spring and summer of 2000, I took some "advanced" handgun classes that spanned a couple of weekends. One of my fellow students was a NOVA police officer with whom several of us were already acquainted. When we went out to lunch, he instructed us to carry concealed in the restaurant.

Those are the only two times I can recall being asked or instructed to cover in a restaurant.
I hope you explained to him that's a no-no. He probably meant well, but he could get your fellow students into trouble someday with that advice.

Also there is this. I don't think I am mistaken about this but if an LEO instructs you to conceal your weapon in an ABC-ON establishment, he can be arrested for being an accessory after the fact since it was his illegal instruction that caused an illegal act.

bohdi

imported post

I've been lucky. Never been asked to cover up, never been asked to leave. Though by most standards I'm still "new" to OC'ing as it's been less than a year since I started.

Doug Huffman

Banned
Washington Island, across Death's Door, Wisconsin,
imported post

SouthernBoy wrote:
I don't think I am mistaken about this but if an LEO instructs you to conceal your weapon in an ABC-ON establishment, he can be arrested for being an accessory after the fact since it was his illegal instruction that caused an illegal act.

'Accessory after the fact'? Not a term much favored in law now, though once in common law. The cop is more properly characterized in law as accomplice and instigator since the actor held no intention to break the law until induced by the cop.

Pa. Patriot

State Researcher
Just a "wannabe" in Mtn. Top, Pennsylvania, USA
imported post

GlockMan wrote:
Apparently, since I was open carrying, some patron complained so the managers pulled me aside and asked if I was LE, ....

Side bar:
Many people have reported managers confronting them and they very often report to the OC'er their contact is the result of a patron complaining.
I call BS.
Why would a customer inform management about onother patron OC'ing?
If they were genuinely concerned (due to their astounding ignorance) they would call the police.
I think these managers are trying to justify their nosey tendendancies by claiming this.

Just something I am always astounded by...

On topic: I have never been asked to cover up, or any other neg encounter, while OC'ing in PA

Carry on

HKshooter

imported post

Pa. Patriot wrote:
GlockMan wrote:
Apparently, since I was open carrying, some patron complained so the managers pulled me aside and asked if I was LE, ....

Side bar:
Many people have reported managers confronting them and they very often report to the OC'er their contact is the result of a patron complaining.
I call BS.
Why would a customer inform management about onother patron OC'ing?
If they were genuinely concerned (due to their astounding ignorance) they would call the police.
I think these managers are trying to justify their nosey tendendancies by claiming this.

Just something I am always astounded by...

On topic: I have never been asked to cover up, or any other neg encounter, while OC'ing in PA

Carry on
I had a manager at a Chesapeake VA restaurant come up to me ~3/4 of the way through our meal just checking on things. she said

"by the way, most of the staff
is talking in the kitchen about 'the guy at table xx with the gun'. I told them,
yea so?, get back to work!". She didn't care.

I do believe there's occasions where patrons flag it to a waitress or manager.
They're not concerned enough for a 911 call, just want to stick their nose in and see if there's a problem or not.

And then of course there's the famed CHAMPPS incident where a patron, on their
way out the door, did call 911 on us and then run.

Mike

Site Co-Founder
imported post

Grapeshot wrote:
roscoe13 wrote:
Mike wrote:
Xeni wrote:
In such an instance, would you be legal in concealing regardless of if you had a permit or not since your on private property and have the permission of the owner?
The owner or his agent cannot change the law - restaurants are off limits for concealed carry (only if they sell alcohol). The fact that it is private property is irrelevant - remember,it is illegal to conceal carry on private property without a permit except for limited exceptions - the owner cannot change that even for himself on his own property!!
Huh?

Yata hey
I was referring to private property generally - yes there is a "place of business" exemption, but that does not apply to all the private property you own!

roscoe13

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Mike wrote:
Grapeshot wrote:
roscoe13 wrote:
Mike wrote:
Xeni wrote:
Huh?

Yata hey
I was referring to private property generally - yes there is a "place of business" exemption, but that does not apply to all the private property you own!
For the vast majority of people, they don't own any private property that isn't covered...

Decoligny

imported post

Doug Huffman wrote:
SouthernBoy wrote:
I don't think I am mistaken about this but if an LEO instructs you to conceal your weapon in an ABC-ON establishment, he can be arrested for being an accessory after the fact since it was his illegal instruction that caused an illegal act.

'Accessory after the fact'? Not a term much favored in law now, though once in common law. The cop is more properly characterized in law as accomplice and instigator since the actor held no intention to break the law until induced by the cop.
It could even be characterized as "entrapment". The offender had no intention of commiting the offense until purposefully led to do so by the cop.