• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

handguns on ATV's

weatherman

imported post

My wife and I are coming to Ruby's Inn in June for some riding and to see our new Grandson.

I like to carry when out in the bonnies, and from what I've seen here, if I have my CCW permit, I should be fine. Is this correct

I'm in Wyoming and it's not a problem here.

dng

State Researcher
imported post

Hopefully I'm not dreaming this one up, but isn't it illegal to carry guns into most national forests?

colormered

imported post

No, it's just (for now) the National Parks that restrict firearms. If you ever want to give yourself a good chuckle, find someone who works for the Forest Service and ask them the difference between the U.S. Forest Service and the U.S. Park Service. If you don't get an earful, at the very least you will get a VERY heavy sigh......

tarzan1888

imported post

dngreer wrote:
Hopefully I'm not dreaming this one up, but isn't it illegal to carry guns into most national forests?

You are dreaming. The prohibition is in NATIONAL PARKS not National Forests.

Tarzan

tarzan1888

imported post

weatherman wrote:
My wife and I are coming to Ruby's Inn in June for some riding and to see our new Grandson.

I like to carry when out in the bonnies, and from what I've seen here, if I have my CCW permit, I should be fine. Is this correct

If you have a permit you are good to go in Utah, as a permit allows open carry and Utah recognizes all permits.

Tarzan

utbagpiper

Banned
imported post

weatherman wrote:

There are two laws at play here in Utah on this:

[font="<!--"] 76-10-504. Carrying concealed dangerous weapon <http://le.utah.gov/~code/TITLE76/htm/76_0C033.htm> prohibits carrying a concealed weapon.

[/font][font="<!--"] 76-10-505. Carrying loaded firearm in vehicle or on street. <http://le.utah.gov/~code/TITLE76/htm/76_0C034.htm> prohibits carrying a "Utah loaded" firearm in or on a vehicle.

With a valid CCW permit you are legal to carry a firearm on your ATVs either loaded or not, concealed or not. Without a valid CCW, make sure the firearm is not concealed (either in plain view or securely cased, need not be locked), AND that is is not "loaded" as per Utah definition in 76-10-502.

Off topic to guns, but perhaps of relevance to you, last I heard, Utah was NOT honoring the OHV/ATV registration of other States. So if you are brining ATVs with you, you will need to get a temporary Utah registration for them to avoid risking a ticket for unregistered vehicles. I know, it sucks.

IANAL, etc.

All the best and enjoy your time in Utah.
[/font]

combatcarry

imported post

A non-resident can use an off-road vehicle in Utah for a maximum of 14 days per year. If it is used more than 14 days you can buy a permit for $30 annually. If you ride here I would print out the following webpage and carry it with you: http://dmv.utah.gov/registergeneral.html

Ruby's Inn is a great place to stay, ran by a great family. I'm sure they wouldn't mind if you open carryat Ruby's Inn.

You will be fine to open carry, or conceal carry, everywhere around Ruby's Inn. Just be sure if you enter Bryce Canyon National Park your gun is either broken down, or unloaded and cased.

utbagpiper

Banned
imported post

combatcarry wrote:
A non-resident can use an off-road vehicle in Utah for a maximum of 14 days per year. If it is used more than 14 days you can buy a permit for $30 annually. If you ride here I would print out the following webpage and carry it with you: http://dmv.utah.gov/registergeneral.html

Ruby's Inn is a great place to stay, ran by a great family. I'm sure they wouldn't mind if you open carryat Ruby's Inn.

You will be fine to open carry, or conceal carry, everywhere around Ruby's Inn. Just be sure if you enter Bryce Canyon National Park your gun is either broken down, or unloaded and cased.
Good news. Thank you for the correction combat.

And I'll second your recommendation on Ruby's Inn. I must disclose they are distant relatives. Of course, roughly half the residents of nearby Tropic are close relatives.

Charles

weatherman

imported post

Thanks for all your helpful replys. We are really looking foreward to this trip.

As to the ATV regestration...Since Wyoming has no resiprosity agreement with Utah for out of state riders, we will nedd to regster our quads. I don't really mind as the money goes to trail maintainence. I consider it a small price to pay for the sport.

Again, thanks for the help.