• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Delaware open carry shooting.

Schofield

imported post

It's possible things have been muddled by the news. The reason the criminal shot at the clerk might have been because he suddenly noticed the clerk was carrying a gun and looked back at him. Though this still counts as "crimintal too dumb/intent to notice firearm."

And about the parent responsibility thing: I only meant that parents have a reasonable amount of responsibility to know what their kids are doing under a certain age, usually 18. If parents took more responsibility for their children instead of allowing them to become a part of the system's problem, things wouldn't be so bad.

DrewGunner

imported post

Doug Huffman wrote:
DrewGunner wrote:
7 shots and only one hit, in the thigh. Yikes.

The shooter was a citizen and not necessarily a CQB trained keyboard cowboi or cop-wannabe.

Either we are equal or we are not. Good people ought to be armed where they will, with wits and guns and the truth. NRA KMA$$

Citizen, cop, military, swat, the pope. He's reasonible for the lead that comes out of his noise maker. But I'm sure he checked to see what was in the background before shooting and missing 6 times.

WhiteRabbit22

imported post

Martin said he fired into the residential street because it was empty that night.
“If it wasn’t, this wouldn’t have happened,” he said about the robbery.

Exactly.

kmcdowel

imported post

But when Martin looked out the doorway, he said the gunman yelled “what are you looking at” and fired his rifle.

That’s when Martin said he reached for his Smith & Wesson M&P 9 mm pistol, which he holsters to his hip.
...anyone else think that maybe Martin should have fired sooner?

WhiteRabbit22

imported post

way sooner...

having a rifle pointed at you is a very real and life theatening thing, and i would have been looking for the first opportunity to stop that threat.

imperialism2024

imported post

WhiteRabbit22 wrote:
It intrigues me that the boy didn't notice the OCed handgun. or maybe he did and got the drop on him? if that's the case why didn't he ask for that too? something makes me think the boy didn't see the gun, or was to nervous to notice. This brings up another good question and argument to the deterent claim. Would a criminal be too concentrated on what he/she's about to do to notice a citizen OCing? if so then it's no different than CCing (other than comforting soccer moms). and if that's the case I'd much rather OC due to faster draw times and better comfort.

or it could have just been too dark to see it. no big deal. great article.

Maybe the robber thought it "wasn't real." Or that the guy didn't "have a permit for that." :lol:

But in all seriousness, I've thought the same thing. Especially in a society where guns aren't openly carried regularly, a BG may think "he doesn't have a police uniform, so he's unarmed."

imperialism2024

imported post

Schofield wrote:
And about the parent responsibility thing: I only meant that parents have a reasonable amount of responsibility to know what their kids are doing under a certain age, usually 18. If parents took more responsibility for their children instead of allowing them to become a part of the system's problem, things wouldn't be so bad.

That what I thought, but figured it was worth mentioning anyway.

Though, by the age of 15, the parental responsibility can only extend so far. If the parents didn't instill the correct values by then, there's little they can do to control their children after that.

kmcdowel

imported post

That’s when Martin said he reached for his Smith & Wesson M&P 9 mm pistol, which he holsters to his hip -- Delaware law allows people to carry an exposed weapon without a permit.
I holster my gun on my hip, even when CCing

...they never said he was OCing. Maybe the writer is really pro-OC and thought he should sneak that in to get the word out:celebrate.

Neplusultra

imported post

kmcdowel wrote:
That’s when Martin said he reached for his Smith & Wesson M&P 9 mm pistol, which he holsters to his hip -- Delaware law allows people to carry an exposed weapon without a permit.
I holster my gun on my hip, even when CCing

...they never said he was OCing. Maybe the writer is really pro-OC and thought he should sneak that in to get the word out:celebrate.
Could be, but I'd say we all have had experiences where people have not noticed the big hunk of metal hanging off our belts. I like to carry my gun at around 4-4:30 position, far enough behind my pants pocket so I can get my hand in easy. In that position it's really not that easy to see from the front, not at all if you're slightly to my left.

Tomahawk

imported post

Wynder wrote:
PavePusher wrote:
Excellent article all the way through... until the very last sentance. Sigh. Almost had it dead right.:banghead:
I'd have to agree with the last sentence, actually... I mean, if someone had a gun on you, are you going to A) Give them your wallet, or B) see if you can draw, get a sight picture, and pull the trigger faster than they can move their finger? If you try to run and lunge at the person, you're most likely going to wind up bleeding on the floor.

Now, if that person is a decent distance away and pulls a knife on me, damned straight I'm going to, at the very least, draw down on him, but the guy did the right thing... give up the cash, try to disengage and, if there's still a threat and you're safely able to, use deadly force.

Well, with the price of ammo as high as it is, there's probably a lot more money in my gun than my wallet these days...