• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Sonic drive-ins apparently are anti-gun.

cloudcroft

Campaign Veteran
El Paso, TX (formerly Colorado Springs, CO)
imported post

I am sitting at a local IHOP and as per usual, turned on my laptop's WiFi to see what unsecured WiFi networks could pick up so I could possibly get online (IHOP has WiFi but it is security enabled and unavailable to customers).

A number of networks were lsited, one was named "THGuest" and was NOT security enabled (open) so I chose it...was able to connect (I'm using it now to write write this) but when I tried to connect to one of the gun forums I read, I got a screen that came up saying:

This site is blocked by the SonicWALL Content Filter Service.

URL: http://www.gunsnet.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=513

Reason for restriction: Forbidden Category "Weapons"

...but I was able to access OpenCarry.org, of course, or I wouldn't be able to post.

So, I'm just adding another corporation to the anti-gun list...

-- John D.

Tomahawk

imported post

I got something like that using Panera Bread's wifi a few months back when I tried to access keepandbeararms.com. The firewall sent me a message that siad something like "Blocked. Reason: weapons" The other day I tried again and it was fine now.

My guess is that these places don't decide which particular sites to block, but probably work off of a list provided by someone else, possibly the software vendor.

If you think it worth your while, you could write a letter to the appropriate company office explaining that they are blocking legitimate political discussion and that they should remove the offending sites from the list.

PT111

imported post

This site is blocked by the SonicWALL Content Filter Service.

This had nothing to do with Sonic Drive-Ins unless it was just a coincidence. Two entirely different companies.

vrwmiller

imported post

SonicWall is an internet security company that sells consume grade internet security appliances and software. I really don't think that it's relate to Sonic drive-ins.

soloban

imported post

Here's one to wrap your head around....back when I was active duty AF I was at work and wanted to show my supervisor which glock I used to own and went to pull up www.glock.com and the AF firewall blocked it out.

That got a WTF?? from both of us

BobCav

Founder's Club Member
imported post

En route to Reno, We stayed at a BestWestern and the WIFI access was BWGuest. I would imagine there's a nearby hotel or business with the initials TH.

cloudcroft

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Bob,

I'm not aware of any hotels anywhere near where I was, certainly nowhere close to802.11b/g WiFi range.

But you guys may be right: Even though a Sonic was next door, it may not be the "culprit," so I just don't know who the "THGuest" network was if it wasn't Sonic (and maybeit's like you guys say it's just acoincidence the name is similar).

There are other fast-food places close by, but none that "TH" of THGuest" would relate to that I know of...next time I'm out there I will look for a business that "TH" might stand for. I'll update this thread then.

Sorry for the fuss...I had not heard of SonicWall network-security software before.

-- John D.

P.S. Glad to see you still check inoccasionally...

v8shoguy

imported post

I've OC'd in Sonic before (in KY). The only questions I got were:
1) Are you LE?
2) Who makes that?
3) What's that chambered in?
4) Do you want a drink or fries with that?

Just wanted to make Sonic's stance (at least where I am) clear. I'd hate for a place to get labled as a CPZ incorrectly. There are enough of them as it is.

possumboy

imported post

There are two Sonics here in Northern Virginia that I go to often. I OC at both the little seating area and while watching eating in the car.

Eating in the car includes opening the sides doors of the van and sitting in the doorway while watching a DVD - so OC is visible during this time.

John Pierce

Administrator
Staff member
imported post

Just to clarify. SonicWall is the name of a firewall product ( http://www.sonicwall.com/ )and is NOT related to Sonic the restaurant.

Their content filtering has a number of these quirks by default but may be adjusted by the user.

PS. FWIW, I use the SonicWall products at the office and at home and love them!

Me

imported post

Roofles. Looks like this has already been covered, but I'll confirm anyway.

I work for a restaurant chain in Washington. I manage about 20 SonicWALL firewalls (one per location). These devices are multi-function devices. Content filtering is an optional add-on to these appliances. Whoever is managing the SonicWALL probably just checked a box that says "enable content filtering". One of the more detailed settings probably includes something about weapons. If you have any issue, your issue is with SonicWALL (the network security company) giving people the option of automatically blocking weapons sites. Who knows which business has this device set up, but even if you were to find out, they probably don't even know they're blocking weapons sites. I find it kind of irritating that anyone (SonicWALL?) would consider weapons sites some sort of wortwhile category to include in a filter.

Tess

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Many (most?) of US Army's networks block access to sites that say "weapon" or "gun".

I could get to opencarry.org, though, and vcdl.org.

Doug Huffman

Banned
Washington Island, across Death's Door, Wisconsin,
imported post

Tess wrote:
Many (most?) of US Army's networks block access to sites that say "weapon" or "gun".

I could get to opencarry.org, though, and vcdl.org.

I am surprised that OCDO's topic blocker copper hasn't been by to whine. Likley he's using his 'back-channel' to whine to the owner/administrator/moderators.

Either we are equal or we are not. Good people ought to be armed where they will, with wits and guns and the truth. NRA KMA$$, Leo may also

cloudcroft

Campaign Veteran
imported post

I will be going out to that part of town this coming weekend and will look around to see what business it might be that is using SonicWall as it's network security. Shouldn't be too hard to find places since they have to be within a 300' radius of IHOP.

It's just weird that a Sonic is there and the security software uses that same word in their name. And if Sonic is NOT anti-gun, they might want to clarify that given the name confusion here.

I apparently jumped to a conclusion -- and apologize for that -- but in this case, it seems to have been reasonable conclusion nonetheless.

-- John D.

P.S. I have no idea WTH Doug is referring to.

cloudcroft

Campaign Veteran
imported post

1. It's posted in the "General Discussion" area for less-restricted/more general topic posts.

2. If Sonic is anti-gun, you won't be OCing there.

3. The 1st Runner Up to the sorriest hamburger I ever had was one I got at a Sonic Drive-in. ;)

4. I had to use lethal force on it. :shock:

-- John D.

imperialism2024

imported post

cloudcroft wrote:
1. It's posted in the "General Discussion" area for less-restricted/more general topic posts.

2. If Sonic is anti-gun, you won't be OCing there.

3. The 1st Runner Up to the sorriest hamburger I ever had was one I got at a Sonic Drive-in. ;)

4. I had to use lethal force on it. :shock:

-- John D.

CC: There's a hamburger breaking in next door. Should I shoot it?
911: No John, there ain't no property worth killin' a hamburger over.
CC: *click click* Hear that? I'm pumping my shotgun.
911: Just stay inside...
CC: It's leaving. That's it, it's not going to get away with this. I'm gonna kill it. I'm gonna kill it.
CC: Move you're dead!*BAM BAM*