• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

The Basics..

bigbear

imported post

What is the age in which someone could open carry in NV?

Can an 18 year old be gifted a gun from a relative?

Is any legal documents needed for Open Carry in NV?

These are basics i appologize but i am interested in OC because i am starting security for a job site in North Las Vegas, and am considering OC.

Thanks in advance.

Felid`Maximus

Activist Member
imported post

At the age of 18 someone can open carry in NV by themselves.

Under 18, persons must be accompanied by an adult while in possession of a firearm unless they are at home, over 14, and have access to an unloadedrifle with permission from a parent.

An 18 year old can be gifted any firearm from a relative. (or buyone from anyone who is not a FFL holder. Rifles can be purchased from FFL holdersbut not pistols at18.) Note that it is illegal to buy a gun specifically for someone else as that would bea straw purchase (there may be some gift exception but I'm not sure how it works). However, someone may buy a gun and then decide to give it to someone. Being 18, I was given a revolver from my parents that they had.

Legal documentation required...not generally. I'm not from Clark County, but it may be that you need to have some paperwork relating to registration in Clark County, since registration is required there.

I would suggest having your drivers license but its not required.

expvideo

imported post

Felid`Maximus wrote:
Note that it is illegal to buy a gun specifically for someone else as that would bea straw purchase (there may be some gift exception but I'm not sure how it works).
That is incorrect. A straw purchase, as defined by wikipedia:
A straw purchase is any purchase where the buyer is not eligible to own the purchased item according to the law and therefore purchases the item through a proxy buyer.
That is not the same thing as purchasing a gun for someone as a gift. If you purchase the gun as a gift, and the person could have bought the gun themself, then it is not a straw purchase. If the person can't buy a gun because they are a felon, and you purchase the gun for them, then that is a straw purchase. You can buy guns for other people all day long, as long as they are allowed to buy/own them.

ETA: as for buying a pistol for an 18 year old, that is kind of a gray area. It is a straw purchase because they couldn't purchase it from the dealer legally. It is not a straw purchase, because they can legally purchase the gun from you. So long story short, it wouldn't be a big deal so long as the person you're asking to do the buying isn't a cop, lol. I would also be careful to keep a bill of sale from the person that is "gifting" it to you, saying that it is a "gift". Be sure to "gift" them back the sale price :D

deepdiver

Campaign Veteran
imported post

If memory serves there is a place on the NCIC form that asks if you are buying it for someone else. As it is conceivable that I would buy a pistol for my fiancee at some point, anyone know what happens if you check that it is for someone else? Or am I misremembering that being on the form?

VAopencarry

imported post

You may buy a gun for someone else if you are giving it to them. In the instance that you are purchasing to gift to someone else you are the 'actual buyer' of the firearm. If you answer No to the 1st question, then the test is over, you go home and the gun stays at the gun store.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A straw purchase DOES NOT!! have to be for a prohibited person.

Example:

Jim is shopping with his friend Bob. Jim picks out a gun to purchase. Jim discovers he does not have his ID with him. Bob says, he will get it for him. That would also be a straw purchase as we know Bob is not the actual buyer of the firearm.

A lot of what I call 'innocent' straw purchases(meaning they are not trying to buy for a prohibited person) are based on what is said by the buyer/buyers. Same 2 guys come into a gun store and you hear their conversation and determine Bob is buying Jim a gun as a wedding gift, then it would be legal for Bob to purchase the gun. Provided Jim is not a prohibited person.

That being said, I do not like the fact that the term 'buyer' is used. Anybody can pay for the gun but the person for whom the gun is for has to do the paperwork.