• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

The Basics

bigbear

imported post

What is the age in which someone could open carry in NV?

Can an 18 year old be gifted a gun from a relative?

Is any legal documents needed for Open Carry in NV?

These are basics i appologize but i am interested in OC because i am starting security for a job site in North Las Vegas, and am considering OC.

Thanks in advance.

Felid`Maximus

Activist Member
imported post

At the age of 18 someone can open carry in NV by themselves.

Under 18, persons must be accompanied by an adult while in possession of a firearm unless they are at home, over 14, and have access to an unloadedrifle with permission from a parent.

An 18 year old can be gifted any firearm from a relative. (or buyone from anyone who is not a FFL holder. Rifles can be purchased from FFL holdersbut not pistols at18.) Note that it is illegal to buy a gun specifically for someone else as that would bea straw purchase (there may be some gift exception but I'm not sure how it works). However, someone may buy a gun and then decide to give it to someone. Being 18, I was given a revolver from my parents that they had.

Legal documentation required...not generally. I'm not from Clark County, but it may be that you need to have some paperwork relating to registration in Clark County, since registration is required there.

I would suggest having your drivers license but its not required.

Erus

imported post

timf343 wrote:
Although it is necessary to have the firearm registered in Clark County, it is not necessary to carry said registration with the firearm.

Tim, You are correct.. there is no "legal requirement" to carry the blue card... BUT it is HIGHLY recommended that you have it on you. Cops much prefer it that way and it will save you tons of hassle. Note that visitors have 60 (I think.. it might be 90) days to register, but locals must get the card right away... which is free and easy at any Metro substation. (which does not mean it's not still a PITA to have to register, IMO)

Erus

Edited to add: Having the blue card on your person also eliminates the three day waiting ("cooling off") period to buy a handgun in Clark County.

timf343

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Erus-

Granted, it's always easier just to consent and show ID when you don't have to, show blue card when you don't have to, etc. I lean either way depending on my mood. If I'm in a foul mood, some arrogant cop isn't going to get anything from me other than what I'm required by law to give. If I just got my tax refund check, I'll probably do whatever just to go on about my business as quickly as possible.

For the blue card though, why would the cop prefer it that way? Are you allowing the cop to illegally seize your gun so that he can verify the serial number against the blue card? Why would your firearm be out of your holster?

By the way, I checked out your profile and see you are a bartender. Anyone ever walk in openly carrying?

Tim

Erus

imported post

timf343 wrote:
Erus-

Granted, it's always easier just to consent and show ID when you don't have to, show blue card when you don't have to, etc. I lean either way depending on my mood. If I'm in a foul mood, some arrogant cop isn't going to get anything from me other than what I'm required by law to give. If I just got my tax refund check, I'll probably do whatever just to go on about my business as quickly as possible.

For the blue card though, why would the cop prefer it that way? Are you allowing the cop to illegally seize your gun so that he can verify the serial number against the blue card? Why would your firearm be out of your holster?

By the way, I checked out your profile and see you are a bartender. Anyone ever walk in openly carrying?

Tim

I completely agree with you, tim.. (and have my moods too) It is implicit here in So. NV that you have the card.. (though a recent thread exposed the fact (which I did not know) that it is not a "law" to have it with you. I have been told all my life here by cops, etc that you have to have it on you, though I will not argue it with a cop (sad as it is, most seem to know less about the law than I do) unless I have nothing else to do for the day, and am in one of those "moods"...I have been conditioned, I admit it, shamefully, but sometimes the easier route (though leaving a bad taste) is the best choice for me. (damn I am really NOT happy to admit that)

Every time I have been asked about my handgun in town, and that has not been all that many times, really... maybe 10 or 15... the cop always has asked if I have my blue card.. (and either took my word for it, or gave it a glance, though I can not remember one actually checking it against the piece, now that I think about it.

As far as the bar, I have not been behind one for a little while and my last one was in NYE county (little beer and shot bar in Pahrump) but yes, OC can, and does happen there. There is nothing in NV law about carrying in a bar except that you can not be in possession if under the influence, and of course, the property owner's wishes. (Mom used to run Thaddeus Thudpuckers back in the day on W. Charleston.. and old biker/rough and tumble bar, anddamn near everyoneOC'd (or CC'd) in there, even some now prominent local bigwigs who shall remain nameless here... in fact, one of thier most prized possessions was a bullet proof bankteller's window with a couple of .45 holes in it. lol. Mom discouraged actual SHOOTING in the bar. lol) I have OC'd in a few bars, (rare that I go into them despite having earned my living in them for a while) and most people don't care/notice/fret. At least here in Nv.

Hell, I remember being on Fremont during Helldorado days as a kid and seeing live sixguns fired into the air. (I even OC'd my lil cap gun back then. lol)

Vegas has changed.

</ end Nostalgic remblings>

Erus

mrFREEZZE

imported post

Hey everyone, I was jus wondering,last weekend (my days off) I had been O.C.n all day started off my mornin with breakfast @ Pancake House with tha familyon Fort Apache, got uh few stares and made a couple more errons. Anywayhoo my last erron was @ tha Boulevard Mall. My lady suggested I leave tha Kimber in the car.Does anyone have any ideas on O.C.n in tha malls. Jus 4 tha record,I already heard rulesabout FashionShow Mall. Any suggestions???:?:dude:

Felid`Maximus

Activist Member
imported post

mrFREEZZE wrote:
Hey everyone, I was jus wondering,last weekend (my days off) I had been O.C.n all day started off my mornin with breakfast @ Pancake House with tha familyon Fort Apache, got uh few stares and made a couple more errons. Anywayhoo my last erron was @ tha Boulevard Mall. My lady suggested I leave tha Kimber in the car.Does anyone have any ideas on O.C.n in tha malls. Jus 4 tha record,I already heard rulesabout FashionShow Mall. Any suggestions???:?:dude:

No rules concerning carrying in the malls.

Like any other private establishment, they may ask you to leave and you must or you will be considered tresspassing.