• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Home Invasion Death of Chesapeake Detective

Thundar

imported post

Link is here:

http://tidewaterliberty.wordpress.com/

Dr. Tabor is clear about many of the issues to gun owners surrounding the handling of this case.

His concern about the (mis)handling of this case, and the implications for any that would defend their home are clear.

1. Where did the .223 casing found in the search of the home after the shooting come from? - Not the homeowner. Police only foundthe home defenders.380 handgun but no .223 rifle. Chesapeake PD do have AR-15s. Did Chesapeake PD fire at or into the home? Did Chesapeake PD fire first?

2. Was the warrant a night time no-knock warrant, or was the night time home assault simply a method of police intimidation?

3. Why charge the defendant with 1st Degree murder, when the circumstances surrounding this case clearly do not call for 1st degree murder charges?

We do not know everything about this case, but what we do know does not giveme confidence that my city police department is conducting itself in a proper manner. One can understand the police dept. desire to quickly put away one who has killed a police officer, but the Chesapeake PD should not ride roughshod over our justice system. If the CPDwas incapable of properly handling this case, they should have stepped aside and asked the state police to handle the investigation. The Chesapeake Commonwealth's Attorney already has stepped aside.

I am usually on the side of police, as is the owner of Tidewater Liberty, Dr. Tabor. This is not police bashing, this is crying foul when the stench is bad.

Remember,if the shooter is railroaded, we all lose some of our ability to defend our homes.

Thundar

imported post

This case stinks more and more. According to tidewaterliberty there were only two detectives at the scene. That just does not make sense. Did the warrant authorize a home assault, or were the detectives doing this on their own to intimidate the suspect???

Now what we apparently have isCommonwealth testimonyfrom onlyone detective, who may have taken liberties with respect to the 4th A, and who was the partner of the dead detective.This detective'sobjectiveness will be an issue.

:banghead::banghead::banghead:

Please no flame wars. My concern is for the future of gun owners defending themselves in their homes if this defendant is railroaded. I mourn the loss of Detective Shivers and attended his memorial service.

LEO 229

imported post

This is off topic but a valued discussion since it has something to do with home defense.

One thing to remember is to never believe everything you read from the press.

Q1: The media is trying to discredit the confidentialinformant now and make him out to be a burglar when there is absolutely no proof of this.

Q2: I have no explanation. This is actually agood question.

Q3: It is not necessary to say you are going to be making "Forced Entry"in the warrant. You identify why you need to go in and what you intend to search. If the person is not at home you would be forcing entry anyway. You do not sit on his front porch waiting for him to return from work and unlock the door. :lol:

Q4: Those that were at the scene were likely orderedto not talk about it at all to ANYONE due to an internal investigation that will be conducted. This is common. Most departments have someone trained to speak to the media.

Q5: How did the police know the growing operation did not exist? The informant stated itwas thereand that is why the the policewere there.

Q6: The .223 shell casing could be from anyone and dropped weeks prior. The mediais now playing that this mystery bullet is from the cops and they shot at the house. Typical of the media.

Q7: How do we know the results on the door have been completed? How do we know they have not been released? There is no proof offered. At this point the public is not really entitled to the evidence since this is an active case.

The defendant is will be going to court and the media wants to try his case and release all the details so the Jury pool can be poisoned. :lol:

In the closingcomments the author clearly identifies why has has written this biased story. :X

Thundar.... it isyour opinion or fear that if the defendant is convicted that you will lose the ability to defend your home in some way. I highly doubt that.

I believe in protecting yourself and your family at home.... But we must still do so responsibly. This guy shot at the door with people on the other side!! Maybe we should have clear cut guidelines drawn up that says why you can shoot.

Was it a bad idea to go in at night? With what I have been told.. Ya. But Maybe there was a time constraint and the plants were going to be moved soon. We just do not know.

I am keeping an open mind here.....

worrbaron

imported post

Look I am not sure I understand this correctly, but LEO can you please explain why the reason for a no knock at night when the evidence they were searching for was supposedly outside in a green house?

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

Thundar, there is still a lot to learn before jumping on either bandwagon.
The media coverage is a good thing because it tends to balance what the police department may release or leak.

The PD there does have a bad track record and that scores against them...but we still don't have much in the way of facts yet.

With only two Detectives, I can almost guarantee that Detective #2, didn't see anything at all. If he wasn't watching the back, something really stinks.

Where were the holes in the door? Even Kiddie cops have enough sense to NOT position themselves in front of the door when knocking. Was the Detective just testing the doorknob to see if it was unlocked?

What alerted the homeowner? Knocking? That is a common procedure. Knock and when the owner asks, "who is it"...knock harder.

There is a lot to find out before crying foul. Nothing makes a group look worse or reduces their effectiveness, than to actively support someone that is wrong. I think I said to you in a PM once, "choose your fights wisely".

This may be a good one....but then again.....

Remember, to most seasoned cops, it is just a job. Not a fast run down the ski slope or a fast day on the mountain bike...just a job that is for the most part, pretty dull.
whether this Detective was having another day at the office or, on Safari will come out sooner or later. Wait for the facts!

LEO 229

imported post

worrbaron wrote:
Look I am not sure I understand this correctly, but LEO can you please explain why the reason for a no knock at night when the evidence they were searching for was supposedly outside in a green house?
Be happy to if I knew more about it being a greenhouse.

Can you elaborate a little?

LEO 229

imported post

peter nap wrote:
Snipped.....
What alerted the homeowner? Knocking? That is a common procedure. Knock and when the owner asks, "who is it"...knock harder.

.... snipped
It would be interesting to know the exact details and how long they were at the front door before the homeowner came running.

I guess they could not kick the door open and could only punch a hole in it. In my experience.. door jams are pathetic and easy to bust apart.

I can understand how scary this would be to the homeowner... It would be hard to NOT fire. But maybe it is my professional training that makes me want to wait and see what it is first.

Maybe Virginia does need to create some kind of law to protect homeowners but also provide a guideline for when deadly action can be taken.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

LEO 229 wrote:
peter nap wrote:
Snipped.....

.... snipped
It would be interesting to know the exact details and how long they were at the front door before the homeowner came running.

I guess they could not kick the door open and could only punch a hole in it. In my experience.. door jams are pathetic and easy to bust apart.

I can understand how scary this would be to the homeowner... It would be hard to NOT fire. But maybe it is my professional training that makes me want to wait and see what it is first.

Maybe Virginia does need to create some kind of law to protect homeowners but also provide a guideline for when deadly action can be taken.
That's one of the things that I really want to know. Since it was a drug related warrant, I seriously doubt they knocked.

Most doors will splinter at the jackpost and even with a steel jamb, pop right open. I'm sure this Detective knew enough to hit it between the security lock and the door knob, and if he did, he should have been in the house before the homeowner had a chance to react.

Just a lot that's unclear.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

OH....let me qualify the seriously doubt they knocked, remark.

I seriously doubt it IF.....the warrant included the residence.

If the warrant was for a detached structure only and they had already peeked and were sure no one was in there, they may well have knocked on the residence door, just to have the owner in hand.

worrbaron

imported post

Sorry I mis-read the article, it said garage. However that still leaves me with some confusion regarding the tactics involved. Where exactly did the informant suggest drugs were? And why were there only two officers?

LEO 229

imported post

peter nap wrote:
That's one of the things that I really want to know. Since it was a drug related warrant, I seriously doubt they knocked.

Most doors will splinter at the jackpost and even with a steel jamb, pop right open. I'm sure this Detective knew enough to hit it between the security lock and the door knob, and if he did, he should have been in the house before the homeowner had a chance to react.

Just a lot that's unclear.
True

I am going to try not jump to any conclusions and seethingsexplained more.

LEO 229

imported post

worrbaron wrote:
Sorry I mis-read the article, it said garage. However that still leaves me with some confusion regarding the tactics involved. Where exactly did the informant suggest drugs were? And why were there only two officers?
Very hard to believe it was just two officers.

If it was... this is really strange and I would love an explanation.

Normally.... you would have a team that would cover all exterior doors so that evidence does not walk out the back while you are at the front.

Even if the drugs were reported to be in the garage alone... attached or otherwise... I am confident the officers would ask to go for the house too.

Past events will show that illegal activity is not confined to a single location in a home. In this case.. you can grow in the garage and process the plants in the house where you can be more comfortable. ;)

Don Tabor

imported post

Leo,

I don't usually respond to these things, but I have never been referred to as "media" before. I can't let that pass. I am the Chairman of the Tidewater Libertarian Party and the proprietor of the Tiderwater Liberty blog. I am pro-gun and pro-police, as well as being personally opposed to drug use.

You may think you understand my motives for taking the stand I have on this issue, but I doubt it. If you want to know why this concerns me so deeply, see :

http://tidewaterliberty.wordpress.com/2008/01/22/knock-knock/

I believe a brave police officer is dead because his superiors sent him into unnecessary danger. The warrant could have been served just as effectively in a non-confrontational manner that would have placed neither the citizen or the officer at risk.

I further believe that the leadership of the CPD is covering up bad policy and in doing so is placing other citizens and police officers at risk.

The police in a free society should be honest with the citizens they serve. When mistakes are made, they should be admitted so they can serve as lessons that will save lives later.

LEO 229

imported post

Good of you to join us....

The web link does say "world press" where your story is being posted. Maybe I should have said "Press" but I am used to the word media as this is who loves to embellish and give half the story on a regular basis. Please forgive me.

I have learned over the years that you cannot believe everything you read. The pressor authorwill often times embellish things to stir interest and generate ratings, or solicit a response from the reader. It is not that often astory is posted that is not biased in some way towards the views of the pressor author.

Your story was targeted in the end at the leadership of that department. But the items you pointoutmade it appear that the detectives and others are all bad and there is some type of cover up going on. This is my take on it.

I know nothing about that department so am Iexpected to believe everything you post while you have not backedit up?It may be your opinion alone or perhaps that department really isbad.

However... whatwas the point in your speculation in the numerous points you have made?

You have done nothing but promote rumors and speculation. You are should be sticking to the facts in your story.

Two items of interest are

• Was the Confidential Informant also the burglar
  • no explanation for that .223 leading many to speculate that there is a sinister reason for not accounting for that round
Pure speculation on your part!! It is my opinion that the press should NEVER be doing this.But I guess you are NOT the press since you are a "blog" even if your web link contains the word "press?"

Do you see where I am coming from?

Ihave also read your story you conveniently posted after the shooting event happened. As I said previously... You cannot believe everything you read. I am now being presented with a story of an event that is reported to havehappened 36 years ago in another state.

Not saying it did not happen.... and not saying it does not happen. But I am not going to believe everything I read.

It is clear what your views are as far as the department goes and the charges that have been placed.

Sa45auto

imported post

LEO 229 wrote:

The web link does say "world press" where your story is being posted. Maybe I should have said "Press" but I am used to the word media as this is who loves to embellish and give half the story on a regular basis. Please forgive me.

I have learned over the years that you cannot believe everything you read. The pressor authorwill often times embellish things to stir interest and generate ratings, or solicit a response from the reader. It is not that often astory is posted that is not biased in some way towards the views of the pressor author.

Your story was targeted in the end at the leadership of that department. But the items you pointoutmade it appear that the detectives and others are all bad and there is some type of cover up going on. This is my take on it.

I know nothing about that department so am Iexpected to believe everything you post while you have not backedit up?It may be your opinion alone or perhaps that department really isbad.

However... whatwas the point in your speculation in the numerous points you have made?

You have done nothing but promote rumors and speculation. You are should be sticking to the facts in your story.

Two items of interest are

• Was the Confidential Informant also the burglar
  • no explanation for that .223 leading many to speculate that there is a sinister reason for not accounting for that round
Pure speculation on your part!! It is my opinion that the press should NEVER be doing this.But I guess you are NOT there press since you are a "blog" even if your web link contains the word "press?"

Do you see where I am coming from?

Ihave also read your story you conveniently posted after the shooting event happened. As I said previously... You cannot believe everything you read. I am now being presented with a story of an event that is reported to havehappened 36 years ago in another state.

Not saying it did not happen.... and not saying it does not happen. But I am not going to believe everything I read.

It is clear what your views are as far as the department goes and the charges that have been placed.
Way to go.....LEO

Don Tabor

imported post

LEO 229 wrote:

I see the confusion. Wordpress is a hosting service that hosts a number of blogs, Tidewater Liberty being one of them. Tidewater Liberty is a forum, much like this one, for Libertarians and others to express their opinions. It is more like a group of ladies and gentlemen discussing politics and the affiars of the day in a Pub, than an arm of the media or press. You are welcome to comment there if you choose.

Of course there is speculation. That is the point. The CPD has withheld important information from the public, and specualtion has filled that vaccuum. If you think my views are speculative, you should see the posts on the VA Pilot's online blogs. I have had to moderate my blog to remove posts I found unnecessarily insulting or insensitive to the family of the fallen officer.

You point out some possible explanations for that .223 casing. There is a lot of speculation about that round down here. The CPD has known the truth about that round since the day of the raid. They could end that speculation simply by telling the truth about it. But over a month after the raid, they have not said a word about it in any of the interviews of the spokesmen they have provided.

I want very much to believe there is no wrongdoing associated with that round, but by stonewalling on the subject, the CPD invites speculation, some of it very dark.

36 years ago, I came within a couple of seconds of killing a police officer, who, with all the noblest of intentions, took a short cut around the law and made a serious mistake. We have laws and procedures for good reasons. The history that taught those lessons is written in blood. We should not ignore those lessons.

In almost every case, when mistakes are made, the coverup does more harm than the mistake.

LEO 229

imported post

I see where you are coming from then. ;)

We post here openly and speculate on stuffbut it is obvious what we are doingas we actively exchange information, thoughts, and ideas.

In your case... your posting speculation however it is one sided as it isnot discussed. You can only give your opinion and you are clearly entitled to it.

The bad part is that the casual reader that pops in and reads what appears to be an official press report may run with it and believe what you say is the real deal.

We truly have enough speculation and arm chair quarterbacking in the world already. Even here.... I prefer to wait for the information to be revealed and understand that not everything you want to know is going to be told immediately.

How about before speculating you try to obtain the information yourself and then you can speak from a first hand experience. :D

Having said all that..... I do hope some good will come out of this and changes made to prevent this tragic loss in the future.

utbagpiper

Banned
imported post

LEO 229 wrote:
I believe in protecting yourself and your family at home.... But we must still do so responsibly. This guy shot at the door with people on the other side!! Maybe we should have clear cut guidelines drawn up that says why you can shoot.
Perhaps off topic, but I will point out that Utah's defense of habitation law allows me to use deadly force to prevent an unlawful ATTEMPT to enter my home. I need not wait until my perimeter is actually breached. Someone illegally trying to pick my locks, or to illegally force his way in IS subject to catching a load of double-ought THROUGH the door. And while caution needs to be exercised, one cannot really expect me to walk up and put an eye to the peephole in the case of a violent and potentially armed criminal trying to force his way through my front door.

And here is the problem with any forced entry by police, much less a no-knock or no-announce entry. As a law abiding person I certainly don't expect the police to be executing a forced entry of my home. For that matter, since I don't mingle in criminal circles, my odds of ANY forced entry or home invasion are very low.

But if one happens I am forced to determine whether it is bad guys trying to kill my entire family, or "good guys" who misread an address, or accepted inaccurate information from some informant without verifying it, etc. If I assume it is the police and I'm wrong, my whole family dies after being raped and beaten and tortured. If I assume it is bad guys and I'm wrong, police officers may die and I may go to prison on trumped up charges.

Not a pretty choice, but for any man worthy to be called such, I can only see on viable option if I can't very quickly determine that it is "good guys" beating down my door.

Which brings me to a general philosophical view of such things: forced entry and no announce warrants need to be reserved as the very last resort and certainly not to keep some small amount of drugs from being flushed or something similar. They should not be conducted until AFTER trained AND SWORN officers (not CIs, but sworn officers) have done proper surveillance on the address long enough to determine that information is accurate, that a less intrusive method (such as arresting someone as he goes to the mailbox or out to buy pizza) is not viable, that innocents are accounted for, etc.

A man's home is his castle and breaching it in a violent manner needs to be reserved for most limited and extreme cases such as a known hostage with failed negotiations.

Our entire criminal justice system is based on the premise that it is better for 10 guilty men to go free than for one innocent man to be wrongly convicted. It seems not too much to expect that police procedure, the issuance of warrants, etc would likewise temper desires to catch the bad guys with assurances that the good guys are never wrongly targeted, AND that if they are that they not be railroaded. Indeed, even a criminal has a right to defend his home from unknown invaders and until he has a reasonable chance to know that those kicking in his door are in fact police officers executing a warrant, he should not be expected to treat those persons as anything other than home invaders.

And yes, I realize this is heavy burden to place on police officers. I just don't see how a free society can accept anything less and survive. Much less an armed society.

I was living in Boston some 15 years back when the police executed a forced entry. I forget whether it was based on bad info from a CI looking to cut a deal, or a bad address or what. But long story short, they burst in on an elderly and retired minister who was as clean as the day is long. They did not figure that until AFTER they had yanked him from bed, put a boot on his back, AND he suffered a fatal heart attack as a result of the stress. Not a gun or pot plant to be found. Just a dead retired minister in hand cuffs on his bedroom floor. I recall the taxpayers got off for only a couple of million in a wrongful death settlement with the city. One innocent man dead.

We had a recent case here in Utah where a husband and wife and a vocal argument and neighbor called the police. Someone knew the guy was a vet from Iraq and had some guns so the cops called in the full swat team. Fortunately, they did not try force. He sent his wife and kids out to make clear there were no hostages and then in a stroke a genius called the local TV station to explain there had been a misunderstanding, but no violence and that he had violated no laws. But he wasn't about to come out and be railroaded because the police decided to over react and call in the full SWAT team. He refused to come out until someone brought him a signed letter from a judge that he was NOT going to be charged with anything. He never brandished a weapon, never threatened anyone, he simply refused to come out.

After a couple of hours and with mounting media pressure the police finally contacted a judge who looked over the facts, and signed a letter. Turns out no crime had been committed. End of story. Everyone goes home alive AND FREE. But any bets on how this turns out had the fellow not played his cards just as he did?

Our police do a tough job. But they are not the military and we need to resist and turn back the militarization of peace officers who need to presume that people are innocent until proven guilty. The military makes no such assumptions on the field of battle.

Concerns about how and where and under what circumstances forced entries are used and how mistakes or even reasonable defense from home owners is handled ARE of central concern to gun owners.

If I can't ID potential intruders as cops, I WILL defend myself, my family, and our home. I'd really prefer not to face a 1st or capital degree murder charge for doing so when it turns out the home invaders had a badge.

Charles