Results 1 to 17 of 17

Thread: Found this in my local newspaper today

  1. #1
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Gary, Indiana, USA
    Posts
    518

    Post imported post

    This editorial appeared in my local newspaper, the Post Tribune, today. Unfortunately, the paper is liberal, and I plan on writing a letter to the editor in response to it today.

    http://www.post-trib.com/news/opinio...5,edit.article

  2. #2
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Hammond, Indiana, USA
    Posts
    66

    Post imported post

    I didn't know you can buy a gun on ebay. Also, I believe the writer is talking about IUN because it has a notobacco and gun policy.

  3. #3
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Indiana, ,
    Posts
    96

    Post imported post

    It was my understanding that ebay doesn't alow guns to be sold, probably due to the whole FFL thing. You can sell a mgazine or holster on ebay for sure though. I could be wrong on the gun part, I'll have to look it up later.

  4. #4
    Regular Member Decoligny's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Rosamond, California, USA
    Posts
    1,865

    Post imported post

    It only says he bought guns on the internet, not on e-bay.

  5. #5
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Hammond, Indiana, USA
    Posts
    66

    Post imported post

    There isn't much oversight provided in the purchase of a gun on eBay.

    Read the whole thing.

  6. #6
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    New Hampshire
    Posts
    79

    Post imported post

    Tat, I'll look forward to hearing their response to your letter.

    The author made a point about mucking up the 2A waters even more. He is obviously brain washed because per the 2A anyone and everyone has the right given by god (birth) to OWN and Carry (keep and bear) a firearm. We already have limited those unalienable rights from felons and mentally troubled for the good of society.

    Anyone have any idea of there being any movement or bills in IN state for allowing Carry on school premises? I'd like to write some letters/give support.

  7. #7
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    NW Indiana, Indiana, USA
    Posts
    248

    Post imported post

    #1 You cannot buy a gun on eGay and have never been able to buy one on there.
    #2 You cannot purchase hicapacity magazines on eGay.
    #3 You MUST (by federal law) transfer any firearm bought online out of state thru a local federally licensed dealer.

    "buying the gun online" (like via gunbroker) still means you can only take possession of it thru a federal dealer using the same checks and paperwork done if you bought it in person at the dealer.

    That article should have NEVER made it past the editors, it's full of errors.

  8. #8
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Indiana, ,
    Posts
    96

    Post imported post

    Prometheus wrote:
    #1 You cannot buy a gun on eGay and have never been able to buy one on there.
    #2 You cannot purchase hicapacity magazines on eGay.
    #3 You MUST (by federal law) transfer any firearm bought online out of state thru a local federally licensed dealer.

    "buying the gun online" (like via gunbroker) still means you can only take possession of it thru a federal dealer using the same checks and paperwork done if you bought it in person at the dealer.

    That article should have NEVER made it past the editors, it's full of errors.
    1) Check thats what I thought

    2) whos definition of hi cap are you talking about ours (30 ish) or Bill Clintons (11+)

    3) Check

    Editors?!? They don't have no stinkin' editors

  9. #9
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    NW Indiana, Indiana, USA
    Posts
    248

    Post imported post

    squarepeg wrote:
    Prometheus wrote:
    #1 You cannot buy a gun on eGay and have never been able to buy one on there.
    #2 You cannot purchase hicapacity magazines on eGay.
    #3 You MUST (by federal law) transfer any firearm bought online out of state thru a local federally licensed dealer.

    "buying the gun online" (like via gunbroker) still means you can only take possession of it thru a federal dealer using the same checks and paperwork done if you bought it in person at the dealer.

    That article should have NEVER made it past the editors, it's full of errors.
    1) Check thats what I thought

    2) whos definition of hi cap are you talking about ours (30 ish) or Bill Clintons (11+)

    3) Check

    Editors?!? They don't have no stinkin' editors
    My definition of "hi capacity" involves a belt eGays is anything over 10 rounds. I heard they are going to stop the sale of all magazines soon. I acnnot confirm it an dto be quite honest I hate them. I don't do anything there anymore.

    I also try to boycott paypal when I can as well, paypal got bought by eGay a year or two ago. paypal also 'prohibts' there services involving guns.

  10. #10
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    10

    Post imported post

    I'll be surprised if it get's printed, but here's the letter I sent to the Post Tribune.


    While I share in the outrage at the NIU murders, and offer my prayers and sympathy to the victims families, I must address some inaccuracies in the opinion piece of February 19th.

    The author states that, "There isn't much oversight provided in the purchase of a gun on eBay".
    I'm not sure where they came up with this, since Ebay has never allowed guns to be listed.
    In fact, Ebay, and it's subsidiary Pay Pal, are rather anti gun.

    They author goes on to say, "Buying a lethal weapon should involve at least as much paperwork as an IRS Form 1040."
    Obviously they have never bought a gun. Every sale of a firearm requires an ATF form 4473, and in most cases a background check via the NICS system. Some states waive the NICS background check if the purchaser has a license to carry a handgun. Indiana does not.
    In the case of so called "on line" sales, the firearm is transfered to a local federally licensed dealer,and the paperwork is done there.

    While the author certainly has a right to his or her opinion, they may wish to take the time to verify the facts before expressing it.

  11. #11
    Founder's Club Member OC-Glock19's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Woodbridge, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    561

    Post imported post

    I once listed a few extra gun items on eBay and they pulled my auctions for a muzzle brake and a pinned and glued collapsible AWB stock from an AR-15 because it violated their policy. The same thing happened with 2 standard-capacity Glock magazines that I tried to sell there.

  12. #12
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Indianapolis, ,
    Posts
    133

    Post imported post

    mac45 wrote:
    They author goes on to say, "Buying a lethal weapon should involve at least as much paperwork as an IRS Form 1040."
    Obviously they have never bought a gun. Every sale of a firearm requires an ATF form 4473, and in most cases a background check via the NICS system.
    Erm...face-to-face private sales in Indiana require no paperwork whatsoever.

  13. #13
    Regular Member Beau's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    East of Aurora, Colorado, USA
    Posts
    672

    Post imported post

    mac45 wrote:
    I'll be surprised if it get's printed, but here's the letter I sent to the Post Tribune.


    While I share in the outrage at the NIU murders, and offer my prayers and sympathy to the victims families, I must address some inaccuracies in the opinion piece of February 19th.

    The author states that, "There isn't much oversight provided in the purchase of a gun on eBay".
    I'm not sure where they came up with this, since Ebay has never allowed guns to be listed.
    In fact, Ebay, and it's subsidiary Pay Pal, are rather anti gun.

    They author goes on to say, "Buying a lethal weapon should involve at least as much paperwork as an IRS Form 1040."
    Obviously they have never bought a gun. Every sale of a firearm requires an ATF form 4473, and in most cases a background check via the NICS system. Some states waive the NICS background check if the purchaser has a license to carry a handgun. Indiana does not.
    In the case of so called "on line" sales, the firearm is transfered to a local federally licensed dealer,and the paperwork is done there.

    While the author certainly has a right to his or her opinion, they may wish to take the time to verify the facts before expressing it.
    Not only do I doubt the letter will get printed, Iwill be suprised if theyeven print a correction in one of those little boxes the papers use when they make amistake.
    Colorado Gun Owners - COGO
    http://www.ColoradoGunOwners.com

    A discussion forum for Colorado Gun Owners.

    Colorado Firearm law.
    http://www.lexisnexis.com/hottopics/colorado/
    Lexis Nexis: Colorado law pertaining to firearms.
    Title 18, Article 12

  14. #14
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    10

    Post imported post

    Skippy wrote:
    mac45 wrote:
    They author goes on to say, "Buying a lethal weapon should involve at least as much paperwork as an IRS Form 1040."
    Obviously they have never bought a gun. Every sale of a firearm requires an ATF form 4473, and in most cases a background check via the NICS system.
    Erm...face-to-face private sales in Indiana require no paperwork whatsoever.
    I was trying to address the fallacy that you could buy guns on Ebay.
    But you are absolutly correct, and I should have said "retail sale".


  15. #15
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Indianapolis, ,
    Posts
    133

    Post imported post

    mac45 wrote:
    was trying to address the fallacy that you could buy guns on Ebay.
    But you are absolutly correct, and I should have said "retail sale".
    The only reason that I pointed it out is that it seems ironic to note the flaws in the article by sending a factually incorrect letter yourself.

  16. #16
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    10

    Post imported post

    Skippy wrote:
    mac45 wrote:
    was trying to address the fallacy that you could buy guns on Ebay.
    But you are absolutly correct, and I should have said "retail sale".
    The only reason that I pointed it out is that it seems ironic to note the flaws in the article by sending a factually incorrect letter yourself.
    So write a better letter and learn from my mistake

  17. #17
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    NW Indiana, Indiana, USA
    Posts
    248

    Post imported post

    mac45 wrote:
    Skippy wrote:
    mac45 wrote:
    They author goes on to say, "Buying a lethal weapon should involve at least as much paperwork as an IRS Form 1040."
    Obviously they have never bought a gun. Every sale of a firearm requires an ATF form 4473, and in most cases a background check via the NICS system.
    Erm...face-to-face private sales in Indiana require no paperwork whatsoever.
    I was trying to address the fallacy that you could buy guns on Ebay.
    But you are absolutly correct, and I should have said "retail sale".
    With Mac's letter being a response to the opinion piece leaving out "online or thru a dealer" isn't a big deal IMO. Especially since it was referencing online sales and ILLanoyed in particular.

    I don't think 'private' sales are legal in ILL are they?

    Either way, good letter Mac, I hope it gets printed.

    On a side note, prior to '68 there was no paperwork or background checks for non-NFA items... and basically none of these shootings. It's long over due to roll back gunlaws to 1787!
    September 17, 1787 the US Consitution was signed this was the law of the land:
    "The Right of the People to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed."


Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •