Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How long did it take you to get your permit

Post imported post

Hello,

Well i finally did it, i've been shooting for over 22 yrs now (i'm only 29) I finally found some time to take the NRA course and submitted my application back on Feb 1 2008 to the norwich police department. So was wondering what kind of time frame is everyone seeing out there in the past 2 yrs or so of getting permits...not to discredit older permittees.

Thanks and God Bless

Post imported post

About 8 weeks for me in wallingford:celebrate

Post imported post

I applied for a non-resident permit. It was received Jan 24th at the SLB, so its been 4 weeks for me without anything. I won't start worrying until April 1st.

Post imported post

I live in West Haven, CT. My wife and I got our permits about a year ago. Ours took just over four months. I started bugging the city after the statutory 8 weeks, but that was just the beginning really.

In my mind, that's the most annonying part of the current push to change the statute to 12-weeks (SB-178). Does that mean that the police will actually comply now, or that it's going to take six months instead?

With appeals to the BFPE now taking up to two years, I fear that it's not going to get better unless the legislature adds some teeth to the law. Since they are almost all a bunch of liberal gun-grabbers, I fear we are out of luck.

Post imported post

Well today ten mins past 4 (4:10) i got the call that my 60 day temp was ready ...i did mach 1 to the pd and made it the 11 miles in 7 mins ...and Got my permit just in time as records n permits closes at 430. The sweet old lady incharge was so nice ...we need more public servants like her . So now according to the list i was giving i can go to troop E in montville and get the 5yr state. If im looking right there open the 2nd and 4th mondays ....and this monday is the second one total time 5 weeks to the day for the temp

Post imported post

not bad...mine was 2-3 weeks 4 years ago

Post imported post

Got mine today in the mail. It was dated 7 Mar 08, so about 5-6 weeks. Not bad at all.

Post imported post

Wow thats the date my local was issued ...hmm intresting. ..I've been busy hitting the gun stores buying left and right ...love that rainy day fund

Post imported post

back in '95, took me 3 months.

this Spring, my wife got hers in TWO WEEKS (electronic fingerprinting).

Gold Coast town (FFLD CTY).

Post imported post

You guys are lucky. I submitted my permit application to the New Haven PD back in October of LAST year, and still no notification as of today. Yes, you've read that correctly,5 months and still no approval.I've called several times and receive a variety of reasons why they haven't processed it yet.

Is there any way to move the process along? Iknow the State Firearms Board is basicallya lost causesince their working with a two year backlog of appeals and cases (or so I've read). Is there way to move the process along? Is the NHPD violating any kind of state statutes (or laws)by delaying as long as they've delayed? Everything I've read says the permit shouldn't take longer than 8 weeks, but it doesn't say what to do when the local issuing authoritydoesn't approve (or for that matter, deny) an application after the 8 week period.

Post imported post

Ask to speak with the chief ....law says 8 weeks but up to 12 weeks may be nesssary ...ur entitled to an answer just step up for your rights...just be kind and intelitgent about it as u represent all of us.

Post imported post

Almost 8 weeks to the day, I picked up my local permit and drove directly to the DPS an got my 5 year permit.

Post imported post

Get a hold of this :X

A co worker summated his paper work here in Wallingford and it went passed 8 week so he called to find out what was going on they told him they had the checks, fingerer print cards and his NRA safety certificate but not his application which he handed in all together. So he has to resubmit the application again and wait another 8 weeks.

If that is not of bunch of bull---- .
    Is there anything he can do with out the PD saying the lost application

Post imported post

Hmm...i would ask to speak with the head of the permits department personally, if not the cheif himself , that is a legal, noterizeddocument with sensitive personal information on it ...it simply not ok to refile they must have it and just dont wanna issue permits its a classic delay alot of departments pull or because they are short staffed.

Post imported post

Nice to see another police department isn't calling their applicants back either. Not ONCE has the New Haven PD called me since I’ve submitted my application, I've always had to call them since I submitted my paper work in October of last year (now going on 6 months ago:what. The notarized form is just one more tactic that the local PD's use to discourage people from submitting applications, much like the 3 letters of recommendation some towns ask for. The reason for the continuing delay this week is, my application is in the batch to be signed by the chief. Of course when I asked WHEN would the chief sign it, I got a vague answer back about how they’re in-between chiefs right now (current one retiring and the other being assigned as a temporary chief while the town searches for a permanent one). It's abundentlyclear to me the local PD's are simply ignoring the spirit of the State Statutes on Pistol Permits which states the permit application process should take no longer than 8 weeks.The 8 week statement can be found here: http://www.ct.gov/DPS/cwp/view.asp?a=2158&q=294502The trick is they don't deny the application, which you could then appeal,and instead keep it in limbo while they "process" it.

Thisreporter has an interesting article about his experience with trying to get a state pistol permit in New Haven back in 2001. He was able to appeal the rejection to the state firearms appeal board and have his permit granted.
    http://query.nytimes.com/gst/fullpage.html?res=9C00E3DE1230F937A25754C0A9649C8B 63&sec=&spon=&pagewanted=all

Post imported post

What is your recourse {if any} if it takes more then 8 weeks like the law states, besides talking to your local PD about your application? Who can you go to ?

Post imported post

CTHunter wrote:
    What is your recourse {if any} if it takes more then 8 weeks like the law states, besides talking to your local PD about your application? Who can you go to ?
    i guess if the police chief refuses, you could talk to the state police or get a lawyer......or move..... i got mine really quick!

Post imported post

I all ready have mine" in 8 weeks"

its my co-worker that is have theproblem getting his. they said they did not have his application but have everything else.

Post imported post

CTHunter wrote:
    I all ready have mine" in 8 weeks"

its my co-worker that is have theproblem getting his. they said they did not have his application but have everything else.
    he could re-do his app then...or file a complaint...i would be there everyday screaming...haha

Post imported post

Your friend should show up unanounced and ask for all of the stuff BACK. Just to see if he really didn't submit the form. Then request a new one and fill it out right there in front of them.My form was green and apparently was from the state. The NHPD added in addtional letters and documents that contradicted what the state form said.

Edit: Sorry for the additional edit but I forgot to add abovethat the Hamden years ago would out right reject everyone who applied. Asking for all the stuff you submited back unanounced may help push them along. It will also tell you if they cashed your fee's without the form which may consitute some kind of fraud or be illegal since without the form they cannot (supposidly)begin the various background checks.

Post imported post

As of this morning NewHaven PD now they claim my application is on the chiefs desk awaiting a signature and that they MIGHT have it ready by Friday and will call me when it's ready. Seeing has how they haven't called previously, I'llcall them on Friday to see if anything has changed.

I also called the Board of Firearms Permit Examiners and the person who I spoke with (at length) who indicated that there really isn't much you can do until the local PD rejects you. This person did say that a long delay (such as mine of over 5 months) is now being considered as form of rejection (from the local PD)by the firearms board. However, this person also said that there is a 2 year plus backlog in appeals and thatone "could" file an appeal whileone awaits the local PD. If one does appeal and if approved by the local PD before the appeals is processed (scheduled meeting with the board)one would need to call the board back to terminate the appeal. They also said to contact the State of Connecticut Department of Public Safety Special Licensing and Firearms (»http://www.ct.gov/dps/cwp/view.asp?a=21···psNav=|), but since that department is made up of Police Officers that you may not get much help from them. I emailed the DPS SLF address last night and haven't received a reply (doubt that I will since they never responded to my previous phone call)

The person from the board also indicated that there is various legislation currently pending, one of which isto increase the processing time from 8 weeks to 24, 12 for the local guys and 12 for the state guys. The appeals board does have an email address (»http://www.ct.gov/bfpe/cwp/view.asp?a=1···=400958) to submit comments/complains/or to initiate the appeals process (look for the Contact Us link at the top).

Post imported post

Just so you know..there is a bill pending..i believe its SB178....but the part about increasing time from 8 to 12 weeks for a permit has been eliminated from the final bill....so don't worry about that..

Post imported post

Just got mine today 5 weeks, Thjanks to a Boater Buddy Detective that saw my application

Post imported post

Well NHPD finally came through this past Friday afternoon and I was able to pickup the local permit. Why it took just shy of six months is beyond me when other towns do it in 2 to 3 months. The person at Troop G laughed when I told them it took almost six months to process the forms.

On a side note, the people I dealt with at the NHPD were very nice at every stage. Same goes for the Detective I spoke with at the State Police Special Licensing and Firearms Unit and the person I spoke with at the Board of Firearms Permit Examiners. But and this is just my opinion some local PD’s have an unwritten policy to drag out the process for permit application. In a way I an understand the lengthy delay with all the crime in New Haven, but it was a frustrating, overly lengthy process for a law abiding citizen to go through. I did have several very interesting conversations with many of the people I dealt with during this process that were very informative. The bottom line though seems to be the local PD can pretty much do what ever they want to do with the permit application, add what ever extra non state required requirements like 3 letter’s of reference (and then only from people who live in your town), and there really isn’t much of a recourse (short of getting a lawyer and suing the town) to get them to process the application in a timely (as in 8 per the state statute) manner.

Post imported post

FYI, I applied in early December 2007 in Wallingford. I received my local/temporary permit exactly two months later.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast