• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

How long did it take you to get your permit

mlathrop

imported post

Hello,

Well i finally did it, i've been shooting for over 22 yrs now (i'm only 29) I finally found some time to take the NRA course and submitted my application back on Feb 1 2008 to the norwich police department. So was wondering what kind of time frame is everyone seeing out there in the past 2 yrs or so of getting permits...not to discredit older permittees.

Thanks and God Bless

cahilj

imported post

I applied for a non-resident permit. It was received Jan 24th at the SLB, so its been 4 weeks for me without anything. I won't start worrying until April 1st.

nrawling

imported post

I live in West Haven, CT. My wife and I got our permits about a year ago. Ours took just over four months. I started bugging the city after the statutory 8 weeks, but that was just the beginning really.

In my mind, that's the most annonying part of the current push to change the statute to 12-weeks (SB-178). Does that mean that the police will actually comply now, or that it's going to take six months instead?

With appeals to the BFPE now taking up to two years, I fear that it's not going to get better unless the legislature adds some teeth to the law. Since they are almost all a bunch of liberal gun-grabbers, I fear we are out of luck.

mlathrop

imported post

Well today ten mins past 4 (4:10) i got the call that my 60 day temp was ready ...i did mach 1 to the pd and made it the 11 miles in 7 mins ...and Got my permit just in time as records n permits closes at 430. The sweet old lady incharge was so nice ...we need more public servants like her . So now according to the list i was giving i can go to troop E in montville and get the 5yr state. If im looking right there open the 2nd and 4th mondays ....and this monday is the second one:) total time 5 weeks to the day for the temp

mlathrop

imported post

Wow thats the date my local was issued ...hmm intresting. ..I've been busy hitting the gun stores buying left and right ...love that rainy day fund

30 cal slut

imported post

back in '95, took me 3 months.

this Spring, my wife got hers in TWO WEEKS (electronic fingerprinting). :D

Gold Coast town (FFLD CTY).

bennor

imported post

You guys are lucky. I submitted my permit application to the New Haven PD back in October of LAST year, and still no notification as of today. Yes, you've read that correctly,5 months and still no approval.I've called several times and receive a variety of reasons why they haven't processed it yet.

Is there any way to move the process along? Iknow the State Firearms Board is basicallya lost causesince their working with a two year backlog of appeals and cases (or so I've read). Is there way to move the process along? Is the NHPD violating any kind of state statutes (or laws)by delaying as long as they've delayed? Everything I've read says the permit shouldn't take longer than 8 weeks, but it doesn't say what to do when the local issuing authoritydoesn't approve (or for that matter, deny) an application after the 8 week period.

mlathrop

imported post

Ask to speak with the chief ....law says 8 weeks but up to 12 weeks may be nesssary ...ur entitled to an answer just step up for your rights...just be kind and intelitgent about it as u represent all of us.

SuperSD

imported post

Almost 8 weeks to the day, I picked up my local permit and drove directly to the DPS an got my 5 year permit.

CTHunter

imported post

Get a hold of this :X

A co worker summated his paper work here in Wallingford and it went passed 8 week so he called to find out what was going on they told him they had the checks, fingerer print cards and his NRA safety certificate but not his application which he handed in all together. So he has to resubmit the application again and wait another 8 weeks.

If that is not of bunch of bull---- .:cuss:
Is there anything he can do with out the PD saying the lost application

mlathrop

imported post

Hmm...i would ask to speak with the head of the permits department personally, if not the cheif himself , that is a legal, noterizeddocument with sensitive personal information on it ...it simply not ok to refile they must have it and just dont wanna issue permits its a classic delay alot of departments pull or because they are short staffed.

bennor

imported post

Nice to see another police department isn't calling their applicants back either. Not ONCE has the New Haven PD called me since I’ve submitted my application, I've always had to call them since I submitted my paper work in October of last year (now going on 6 months ago:what:). The notarized form is just one more tactic that the local PD's use to discourage people from submitting applications, much like the 3 letters of recommendation some towns ask for. The reason for the continuing delay this week is, my application is in the batch to be signed by the chief. Of course when I asked WHEN would the chief sign it, I got a vague answer back about how they’re in-between chiefs right now (current one retiring and the other being assigned as a temporary chief while the town searches for a permanent one). It's abundentlyclear to me the local PD's are simply ignoring the spirit of the State Statutes on Pistol Permits which states the permit application process should take no longer than 8 weeks.The 8 week statement can be found here: http://www.ct.gov/DPS/cwp/view.asp?a=2158&q=294502The trick is they don't deny the application, which you could then appeal,and instead keep it in limbo while they "process" it.

Thisreporter has an interesting article about his experience with trying to get a state pistol permit in New Haven back in 2001. He was able to appeal the rejection to the state firearms appeal board and have his permit granted.
http://query.nytimes.com/gst/fullpage.html?res=9C00E3DE1230F937A25754C0A9649C8B63&sec=&spon=&pagewanted=all

buketdude

imported post

CTHunter wrote:
What is your recourse {if any} if it takes more then 8 weeks like the law states, besides talking to your local PD about your application? Who can you go to ?
i guess if the police chief refuses, you could talk to the state police or get a lawyer......or move....:D. i got mine really quick!

CTHunter

imported post

I all ready have mine:lol:" in 8 weeks"

its my co-worker that is have theproblem getting his. they said they did not have his application but have everything else.

buketdude

imported post

CTHunter wrote:
I all ready have mine:lol:" in 8 weeks"

its my co-worker that is have theproblem getting his. they said they did not have his application but have everything else.
he could re-do his app then...or file a complaint...i would be there everyday screaming...haha

bennor

imported post

Your friend should show up unanounced and ask for all of the stuff BACK. Just to see if he really didn't submit the form. Then request a new one and fill it out right there in front of them.My form was green and apparently was from the state. The NHPD added in addtional letters and documents that contradicted what the state form said.

Edit: Sorry for the additional edit but I forgot to add abovethat the Hamden years ago would out right reject everyone who applied. Asking for all the stuff you submited back unanounced may help push them along. It will also tell you if they cashed your fee's without the form which may consitute some kind of fraud or be illegal since without the form they cannot (supposidly)begin the various background checks.