• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

How long did it take you to get your permit

bennor

imported post

As of this morning NewHaven PD now they claim my application is on the chiefs desk awaiting a signature and that they MIGHT have it ready by Friday and will call me when it's ready. Seeing has how they haven't called previously, I'llcall them on Friday to see if anything has changed.

I also called the Board of Firearms Permit Examiners and the person who I spoke with (at length) who indicated that there really isn't much you can do until the local PD rejects you. This person did say that a long delay (such as mine of over 5 months) is now being considered as form of rejection (from the local PD)by the firearms board. However, this person also said that there is a 2 year plus backlog in appeals and thatone "could" file an appeal whileone awaits the local PD. If one does appeal and if approved by the local PD before the appeals is processed (scheduled meeting with the board)one would need to call the board back to terminate the appeal. They also said to contact the State of Connecticut Department of Public Safety Special Licensing and Firearms (»http://www.ct.gov/dps/cwp/view.asp?a=21···psNav=|), but since that department is made up of Police Officers that you may not get much help from them. I emailed the DPS SLF address last night and haven't received a reply (doubt that I will since they never responded to my previous phone call)

The person from the board also indicated that there is various legislation currently pending, one of which isto increase the processing time from 8 weeks to 24, 12 for the local guys and 12 for the state guys. The appeals board does have an email address (»http://www.ct.gov/bfpe/cwp/view.asp?a=1···=400958) to submit comments/complains/or to initiate the appeals process (look for the Contact Us link at the top).

buketdude

imported post

Just so you know..there is a bill pending..i believe its SB178....but the part about increasing time from 8 to 12 weeks for a permit has been eliminated from the final bill....so don't worry about that..

bradco

imported post

Just got mine today 5 weeks, Thjanks to a Boater Buddy Detective that saw my application

bennor

imported post

Well NHPD finally came through this past Friday afternoon and I was able to pickup the local permit. Why it took just shy of six months is beyond me when other towns do it in 2 to 3 months. The person at Troop G laughed when I told them it took almost six months to process the forms.

On a side note, the people I dealt with at the NHPD were very nice at every stage. Same goes for the Detective I spoke with at the State Police Special Licensing and Firearms Unit and the person I spoke with at the Board of Firearms Permit Examiners. But and this is just my opinion some local PD’s have an unwritten policy to drag out the process for permit application. In a way I an understand the lengthy delay with all the crime in New Haven, but it was a frustrating, overly lengthy process for a law abiding citizen to go through. I did have several very interesting conversations with many of the people I dealt with during this process that were very informative. The bottom line though seems to be the local PD can pretty much do what ever they want to do with the permit application, add what ever extra non state required requirements like 3 letter’s of reference (and then only from people who live in your town), and there really isn’t much of a recourse (short of getting a lawyer and suing the town) to get them to process the application in a timely (as in 8 per the state statute) manner.

ruumis

imported post

FYI, I applied in early December 2007 in Wallingford. I received my local/temporary permit exactly two months later.

GoldCoaster

imported post

Speaking of Troop-G - what should I expect when I go down there to turn a town permit into a state one?

Walk in with ID, a check and the town permit? How long are you there for? do you walk out with the state permit or does that get finished up and mailed to you later?

Thanks

GC

bradco

imported post

You walk in with ID, Temporary permit, check or money order, take photo, on your way to legally purchase firearm.

bennor

imported post

You need to bring the temporary town pistol permit, a valid driver's license (or positive photo id), a $35.00 check or money order made out to the "Department of Public Safety". Cash is not accepted. And most importantly, and one that trips up many people, is you are now required to show proof of citizenship to them by either a birth certificate, voters registration card or valid U.S. Passport or Naturalization papers. Resident alien's (of the martian kind ;-) ) should provide their Alien Registration numbers and 90-day proof of residency documents.

The above information was taken from this DPS link under the Renewal section: http://www.ct.gov/dps/cwp/view.asp?a=2158&q=294502

It goes very quickly if there is a small line. I got mine done in about 15 minutes at Troop G in Bridgeport. You simply fill out a card they will give you. Give them the temporary town permit, your driver's license, citizenship documentation, and the $35 fee. They take your picture and ask you to review the card to ensure the data on it is correct. It wasn't on mine, so make sure you check it closely, they messed up my address. If everything is approved you get your new CT State Permit to Carry Pistols and Revolvers and are on your way. I went immediately afterwards and bought a gun and was shooting it that very afternoon at a range. There is no limit to the number of guns you can buy. And so long as you show them your state pistol permit there is no 14 day waiting period on rifles and shotguns.

Couple of comments on buying guns here in CT that, if you've never bought one, you may not know. Many gun stores (every one I've been in so far) will NOT let you handle handguns without the state pistol id. When you buy a gun there is a bunch of paperwork you will have to fill out and sign including a bunch of yes or now questions on one of the forms (the federal one I think). And they will have to call in the gun sale to the state which can take 20 to 30 minutes or longer if their, both the gun store and state people, are busy. Finally on a side note, check your local Walmart or Cabela's in Hartford for ammunition. So far they are usually cheaper than the gun stores I've seen if your buying a bunch of boxes.

LKB3rd

imported post

Mine took around 5 weeks in Branford. My Dad is waiting on his from New Haven, and it has been 9-10 weeks so far. He just had an interview with an officer, and they said it would be ready shortly after that.
He had problems and hassles at every step of the way. When he went to get the application, in a snow storm, several weeks after knee replacement surgery they told him they didn't have them, and after waiting 45 minutes. He had to return. Once he filled it out, and showed up to be fingerprinted, they told him they were out of fingerprint cards. He drove up to Meriden and had it done there. Now it has gone past 8 weeks, but hearing some other stories here and other places, I guess being a feeble old man with a bad knee may keep him from going into the 6 months range if they were being honest that it is nearly ready.

bennor

imported post

LKB3rd tell your dad to hang in from someone else who recently went through the process in New Haven. Its a very frustrating experience which I'm sure is one of the reasons they do it. Your dad should call often once it goes beyond the two month period the state indicates. I kept a lengthy log of what I went through and who I spoke with, from the local police up to the state police then the civilianappeals board when trying to find out why mine was taking so long and to use in case my permit application was rejected for any reason. The state police and civilianappeals board peopleI spoke with couldn't believe it was taking that long.I even took copies of everything with me when went in for the interview to show the detective asked him several times during the interview why is this process taking so long. The one thing that was super frustrating was the parking fees I had to pay each time I went down there because there's no free parking down there.all the while thelocals kept saying "it'll be ready soon" or it's "justawaiting the chief's signature"every time I called.

bradco

imported post

I notice 2 times people are mentioning interviews, what type of interview did they conduct?

bennor

imported post

bradco wrote:
I notice 2 times people are mentioning interviews, what type of interview did they conduct?
I was called in by NHPD for an interview by a detective from the firearms unit. They asked 10 to 15 questions among them where...
Do you own any guns? If so what kinds?
Any domestic problems?
Ever been arrested?
Any problems with your neighbors?
Ever had a permit before?
Asked what pistol course I took (ask if it was NRA)?
Asked how long I have lived in city?
Asked where work and the address for it?
Asked why I wanted a pistol permit?

From the time I submitted my permit application to when I had the interview was almost five months. From the date of the interview to the date I received the temporary town permit was just over one month.