• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Headaches

OC-Glock19

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Does anyone else suffer from what feels like a bad sinus headache after a couple hours of shooting? This is seriously affecting my enjoyment of the sport! I'd really like to know if there's anything I can do to prevent/mitigate it in the future, other than not going to the range anymore.

Thundar

imported post

IANAD, but sinus problems may indicate an allergy. It could be related to the firearm, the ammo or the location where you shoot.

First I would try a different venue for shooting to see if there was an allergy trigger from the range you use.

If that does not work go see an ENT (Ears, Nose, Throat) doctor.

Doug Huffman

Banned
Washington Island, across Death's Door, Wisconsin,
imported post

Being already 'hard of hearing' from years in enginerooms at high power, I never used hearing protection in order to train against flinching.

Perhaps better hearing protection is in order for you.

The 'sinus headache' mention suggests a possible sensitivity to something in burned powder. I am not an MD though I will excise a pustule on occasion. I am EMT trained.

Either we are equal or we are not. Good people ought to be armed where they will, with wits and guns and the truth. NRA KMA$$

Sa45auto

imported post

Being a scientist I like the scientific approach.

Try varying each of the following;

1. Where you shoot

2. Type of hearing protection

3. Type of ammo

4. How long you shoot

5. Take a decongestant 20 min. before shooting

My thoughts are either allergies to location or powder, or a hearing related phenomenon. In door as compared to outdoors could also have to do with perceived concussion from firing and the firing of others. Have a little fun and see what makes a difference, before you throw the baby out with the bath water.

Walther

imported post

I have felt the same way sometimes. I figured it was the pressure changes in my sinus every time I fired. The sound waves still travel through you and might change the pressure in the sinus cavity. Just a thought that I had. I was going to ask a doctor about it but have not had a chance yet.

Sa45auto

imported post

Walther wrote:
I have felt the same way sometimes. I figured it was the pressure changes in my sinus every time I fired. The sound waves still travel through you and might change the pressure in the sinus cavity. Just a thought that I had. I was going to ask a doctor about it but have not had a chance yet.
My wife cannot stand to shoot at an indoor range, but has no problem out of doors. She can not tolerate the concussion, especially form others near by.

longwatch

Founder's Club Member - Moderator
imported post

I wouldn't rule out dehydration. Did you ever blow your nose after shooting on an indoor range? Lots of black stuff there, and I think it tends to suck moisture out of your mucous membranes or just dry them out. Anyhow try getting that stuff out because it probably doesn't do you any good regardless and see what happens.

LEO 229

imported post

longwatch wrote:
I wouldn't rule out dehydration. Did you ever blow your nose after shooting on an indoor range? Lots of black stuff there, and I think it tends to suck moisture out of your mucous membranes or just dry them out. Anyhow try getting that stuff out because it probably doesn't do you any good regardless and see what happens.
Plus 1...

My wife and I shot Monday and shot told me to check my nose afterward.. I never thought about it... but damn I had a ton of black particles in my nose.

I always wash my hands and face before I leave the range but never took care of the airway.

Headaches can also be cause by earmuffs that are a little too tight. I have an old pair that gave both of us headaches after using them. We bout a nice set and now.. no problem!!

Schofield

imported post

Like others have said, concussion is a big factor in this. There's a reason why big game rifles can gives some people an actual concussion and nose bleed from being fired even with hearing protection. Personally, I don't like firing indoors with just silicone earbuds. That .45 going off a couple hundred times, bouncing off the stall, and in an enclosed air volume can really make you understand a miniature explosion is occuring in your hand.

I also second the cleaning of sinuses after a day of shooting... Or using your Dremel lots. This is why they suggest using a simple paper dust mask. :D

Doug Huffman

Banned
imported post

Will some one please define 'concussion', as used a number of times in this thread, so that it will make sense in this context, maybe the self-proclaimed 'scientist'?

If a dust mask is good, a HEPA filter is better. Which is to say, is it worth the cost to halve an already small probability? Safety is a tyrant's tool; no one can be against safety.

Either we are equal or we are not. Good people ought to be armed where they will, with wits and guns and the truth. NRA KMA$$ Members can kiss ol' Rusty.

Sa45auto

imported post

Doug Huffman wrote:
Will some one please define 'concussion', as used a number of times in this thread, so that it will make sense in this context, maybe the self-proclaimed 'scientist'?........

That would be me. :)

The use of the term "concussion", which is defined as mild brain trauma, from its Latin roots for violent shaking, in the context of this thread, for me, goes back to old WWII movies.

The bomb falls on the surface and kills the people hiding in the tunnels and the smart man that is always present in these movies says, "Well the concussion got them".

The hero solider to his buddies, "We need to get them out of that cave, I will use this concussion grenade to get them." He throws the grenade to the mouth of the cave and it goes boom. When they search the cave they find dead people with no marks on them.

The misnomer as applied here is to the associated "shock wave" from the blast of the bomb or the grenade, or the firing of the round at the enclosed shooting range.

It is known that the term "concussion" refers to the brain trauma condition, but from my early days of movie going, it has been broadened to include the shock wave which produces the brain trauma.

This concept still applies here, along with the allergies from the black gunk in your nose and the hearing protection that is not adequate and so on. :)

Thanks Doug, for asking.

Personally I have learned a lot from this thread.

OC-Glock19

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Thanks for all the replies. I'll be sure to stay hydrated, take a decongestant, wear ear tampons instead of vise-like muffs and blow my nose after shooting my next IDPA match.

Doug Huffman

Banned
imported post

Sa45auto wrote:
Doug Huffman wrote:
Will some one please define 'concussion', as used a number of times in this thread, so that it will make sense in this context, maybe the self-proclaimed 'scientist'?........

That would be me.

The use of the term "concussion", which is defined as mild brain trauma, from its Latin roots for violent shaking, in the context of this thread, for me, goes back to old WWII movies.

The bomb falls on the surface and kills the people hiding in the tunnels and the smart man that is always present in these movies says, "Well the concussion got them".

The hero solider to his buddies, "We need to get them out of that cave, I will use this concussion grenade to get them." He throws the grenade to the mouth of the cave and it goes boom. When they search the cave they find dead people with no marks on them.

The misnomer as applied here is to the associated "shock wave" from the blast of the bomb or the grenade, or the firing of the round at the enclosed shooting range.

It is known that the term "concussion" refers to the brain trauma condition, but from my early days of movie going, it has been broadened to include the shock wave which produces the brain trauma.

This concept still applies here, along with the allergies from the black gunk in your nose and the hearing protection that is not adequate and so on. :)

Thanks Doug, for asking.

I dropped the yellow card as gently and respectfully as possible. I'm throwing the red flag.

There is no index entry for 'concussion' in my freshman Physics 101 textbook, Fundamentals of Physics, by Halliday, Resnick and Walker - 4th ed., nor in The Handbook of Chemistry and Physics.

It is not a 'misnomer' but egregious error from those that should know better.

There is a misnomer, properly and archly used, in this thread.

To a 'scientist', I was trained to never ask a question to which I did not have sufficient foundation to detect gross error. Believe nothing you read or hear without verifying it yourself unless it fits your pre-existing world view.

'Scientist' is a claim to a way of thinking, much like 'pastor', rather than a predicate.

Either we are equal or we are not. Good people ought to be armed where they will, with wits and guns and the truth. NRA KMA$$

Sa45auto

imported post

Doug Huffman wrote:
Sa45auto wrote:
Doug Huffman wrote:

That would be me.

Thanks Doug, for asking.

I dropped the yellow card as gently and respectfully as possible. I'm throwing the red flag.

There is no index entry for 'concussion' in my freshman Physics 101 textbook, Fundamentals of Physics, by Halliday, Resnick and Walker - 4th ed., nor in The Handbook of Chemistry and Physics.

To a 'scientist', I was trained to never ask a question to which I did not have sufficient foundation to detect gross error. Believe nothing you read or hear without verifying it yourself unless it fits your pre-existing world view.

'Scientist' is a claim to a way of thinking, much like 'pastor', rather than a predicate.

Doug I answered your question simply and respectfully. I knew that you knew what the definition of "concussion" was and I referred to that definition. I indicated where my use of the term "concussion" originated, for your information and enlightenment, as you could not know why I used the term thusly.

I am sorry for you if you only ask questions to which you already know the answer. I, a scientist, ask questions to gain knowledge. I operate on an axiom from my first year Chemistry class; "The only dumb question, is the un-asked question"

If you don't like my use of the term "concussion" in my posts, then in your mind, just substitute the term "shock wave" and we can all be happy.

I made reference to being a scientist in an earlier post and did it in regard to using the scientific approach in determining why the headaches, and you were the one who wanted the "scientist" to define concussion.

If you don't like me referring to myself as a "scientist", I am sorry that you don't, but I am licensed in states from theEast end of this country to the West and have been practicing for over 33 years. :)

Decoligny

imported post

Sa45auto wrote:
Doug Huffman wrote:
Sa45auto wrote:
Doug Huffman wrote:

That would be me.

Thanks Doug, for asking.

Doug I answered your question simply and respectfully. I knew that you knew what the definition of "concussion" was and I referred to that definition. I indicated where my use of the term "concussion" originated, for your information and enlightenment, as you could not know why I used the term thusly.

I am sorry for you if you only ask questions to which you already know the answer. I, a scientist, ask questions to gain knowledge. I operate on an axiom from my first year Chemistry class; "The only dumb question, is the un-asked question"

If you don't like my use of the term "concussion" in my posts, then in your mind, just substitute the term "shock wave" and we can all be happy.

I made reference to being a scientist in an earlier post and did it in regard to using the scientific approach in determining why the headaches, and you were the one who wanted the "scientist" to define concussion.

If you don't like me referring to myself as a "scientist", I am sorry that you don't, but I am licensed in states from theEast end of this country to the West and have been practicing for over 33 years. :)

WEBSTER'S II New Riverside University Dictionary

Concussion - noun, 1. A hard jolt: SHOCK. 2. An injury of a soft structure, especiallly the brain, resulting from a violent blow.

Wow - looks like you are both right and there is no misnomer.

If it was used in the "Brain Trauma" context, then you could replace concussion with brain trauma in the earlier posts:

"In door as compared to outdoors could also have to do with perceived brain trauma from firing and the firing of others."

and

"My wife cannot stand to shoot at an indoor range, but has no problem out of doors. She can not tolerate the brain trauma, especially from others near by."

Sa45auto

imported post

Decoligny wrote:
WEBSTER'S II New Riverside University Dictionary

Concussion - noun, 1. A hard jolt: SHOCK. 2. An injury of a soft structure, especiallly the brain, resulting from a violent blow.

Wow - looks like you are both right and there is no misnomer.

If it was used in the "Brain Trauma" context, then you could replace concussion with brain trauma in the earlier posts:

"In door as compared to outdoors could also have to do with perceived brain trauma from firing and the firing of others."

and

"My wife cannot stand to shoot at an indoor range, but has no problem out of doors. She can not tolerate the brain trauma, especially from others near by."

Thanks...

I saw that definition (or at least one similar to it)too, but I was willing to admit that I didn't know everything and that I had, due to my own experience developed a definition for a word that was not exactly right. Of course I new what "a concussion" was, I had a roommate who got one when we crashed on our bikes back in the early 1970's, but I had never looked up the definition of "concussion"

My Websters New Collegiate Dictionary, copyright 1973 has as definition "2.... b: a stunning, damaging or shattering effect from a hard blow;"I knew it could apply, but I responded as I did, more because I could not understand why Doug would become so argumentative and attacking, when all I did was give him the explanation that he asked for, than because I was completely off base.

I am not threatened by him and could not understand why he should be threatened by me.

Thank you again....blessed are the peace makers. :)

Doug Huffman

Banned
imported post

Then I will explain a bit more.

An argument from authority (the logical fallacy) implies (as contrapositive) a personal attack. Formally argumentum ad verecundiam <=> ad hominem

The principle is "Either we are equal or we are not." We all have opinions, their value lies only in the effort of their development and exposition. You claim authority and then utter trivialities demonstrating neither development nor exposition.

I claim no authority but have put great effort into my opinions and their exposition.

I have addressed you respectfully and respectful of your claimed status. Please reciprocate to the group as a whole.

Good people ought to be armed where they will, with wits and guns and the truth. NRA KMA$$

Sa45auto

imported post

Doug

You are better off letting this one go.

Just because you have a problem with the perceived claim to authority of another, it in no way lessons your value or accomplishments.

The most respected intilect I have ever known had a 3rd grade education.

Your value will never be increased by pointing out YOUR perceived flaws in others.