• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Chesterfield Area

WhiteFeather

imported post

I am looking for first hand information about Chesterfield VA.

I have always wanted to return south however I find the political climate in NC less to my liking than VA. I have been researching areas of interest in VA and so far I like what I see in Chesterfield. I have a backround in EMS and security, I would like to work my way into the Shariffs Dept at some point. My girlfriend is a year or so away from getting a degree in teaching.

I am looking for any information about the area. Shops, ranges, malls, economic status. Does anyone from this board live in the area? Is it a bad area? Really any information will help. I am planning a vacation to VA beach this summer and I may make my way out there to snoop around.

Thank you up front for all your information.

Oldvirginian

imported post

....stay away from chesterfield try new kent county about 20 min away. u will like it here much better.little town called quinton.

sitedzn

imported post

WhiteFeather wrote:
I am looking for first hand information about Chesterfield VA.

I have always wanted to return south however I find the political climate in NC less to my liking than VA. I have been researching areas of interest in VA and so far I like what I see in Chesterfield. I have a backround in EMS and security, I would like to work my way into the Shariffs Dept at some point. My girlfriend is a year or so away from getting a degree in teaching.

I am looking for any information about the area. Shops, ranges, malls, economic status. Does anyone from this board live in the area? Is it a bad area? Really any information will help. I am planning a vacation to VA beach this summer and I may make my way out there to snoop around.

Thank you up front for all your information.

Born here, moved away (for college) and came back. Depending on when you're planning to move, the housing right now is stagnant - tons for sale with no one buying.

Only 1 range that I'm aware of in Chesterfield (that allows pistols) http://www.dominionshootingrange.com/. I just make my way out to Black Creek in Hanover - bigger range with lots of options (and none of that "gotta buy our ammo" crap). I do know that Chesterfield PD is looking for folks.

Like most places, it has its good and bad areas. Based on my own personal experience, the closer to the city line you get, the worse it gets. And that's still not that bad.

Feel free to PM me if you have questions you don't want completely exposed.

vt357

imported post

I live in Chesterfield. It used to be more of a rural type county but in the last 20 years almost all rural areas have been gobbled up by suburban sprawl. There are areas of the county that have high crime (areas surrounding the I95 corridor) and areas that have little or mainly petty crime (to the north and west - Midlothian).

There are some good gun shops in the Richmond area, but I personally feel that the choice of gun ranges is poorly lacking. There is only 1 range in the county - an indoor 25 yd mainly pistol range. It is a nice facility, but in my opinion expensive. There are a couple of gun clubs/ranges in Hanover (about 30 to 45 minutes away depending on the part of Chesterfield you are in). There is a free state run range in Amelia (30 to 45 minutes away again) but is rifle and shotgun only - no pistols.

Powhatan is North West of Chesterfield and is an up and coming county but still lots of land available. Amelia is to the West and is totally rural. New Kent is to the East - not much there either but the county is getting ready to blow up in growth too.

I would prefer to live in eastern Powhatan, be able to have a moderate piece of property, and still have the rural feel while being only minutes from the modern life in Chesterfield.

What is the housing market like where you are in PA? Housing in Chesterfield is significantly cheaper than in Northern VA, but it might still be a struggle to afford something on a Teacher's and LEO's salaries.

Skeptic

Founder's Club Member
imported post

vt357 wrote:
I would prefer to live in eastern Powhatan, be able to have a moderate piece of property, and still have the rural feel while being only minutes from the modern life in Chesterfield.

What is the housing market like where you are in PA? Housing in Chesterfield is significantly cheaper than in Northern VA, but it might still be a struggle to afford something on a Teacher's and LEO's salaries.
Just so happens I did some looking into houses not too far from there. I would say that area fairly comparable, except the property taxes are probably 1/2 to 2/3 in VA of what they are in PA.

Whether you want to live in New Kent or Powhatan sort of depends on where you and your gf are going to work.

Personally Chesterfield is way too congested for my tastes, but there is plenty of shopping there, inclding at least 2 gun shops along with plenty of malls/shopping centers.

Also note, I would say the poltical climate in Chesterfield is trending towards anti-gun; based on the overwheming support for Obama in that county ( they expected 17 K voters for the dem primary, that was more than twice as many voters as they had for previous democratic primary, but they got 39K voters in the dem primary, 71% who voted for Obama); not to mention some of the residents beating the drum about the guy who blew himself up with the civil war ordinance the other day. I don't know offhand who represents Chesterfield now, but the way the county is trending, I would say if you like gun friendly representatives, it may not be one in the very near future.

doug23838

imported post

Here's my take on C-field. Many years ago(25 -30), C-field poured money into their schools. The schools became well ranked and as a result many people moved to the county. The growth overwhelmed the infrastructure (roads, utilities, police, fire, sanitation, etc.) Then came increasing taxes to pay the bills for upfitting the schools and the corresponding infrastructureimprovements.It really hasn't abated much as two newschools opened (were set to open) this year and until recently the sound of carpenters driving nails was a steady roar.

That said, as a single + childless person, I probably shouldn't live here. However I've been in the county 7 years and my home has appreciated nicely. I always wanted to live in a million dollar home, thanks to the Chesterfield assessors office, my dream is going to come true.

Skeptic wrote:
SNIP...Also note, I would say the poltical climate in Chesterfield is trending towards anti-gun; based on the overwheming support for Obama in that county ( they expected 17 K voters for the dem primary, that was more than twice as many voters as they had for previous democratic primary, but they got 39K voters in the dem primary, 71% who voted for Obama);

Skeptic: Two of my closest friends (both quite conservative Republicans) crossed over to vote Demo in the primary so they could vote Obama. Listening to WRVA on primary day, lots of callers said they did the same thing. That gives me hope that the Va. primary elections were a shill contrived to help tee-up Obama so he can get knocked out of the park in Nov.

WhiteFeather

imported post

Thanks forthe info.

A colleague of mine travels to Va and NC often and he said that of everywhere he had been, Chesterfield was the nicest. I posted hoping to hear some positive and I was a little dissapointed. Since my significant other will have the degree we were kinda looking at towns with a need for teachers and Chesterfield seemed like it would be perfect. I do not particulary want to be a police officer but rather a shariff's deputy for my own reasons.

PA has lost its charm to me. I really didn't care for itcoming from NC, but the political and person climate here just isn't up to par withwhat I consider a nice place. I would really like to move to VA but I am just at a loss as is to where I should try. My other considerations are Williamsburg, Petersburg, Emporia, and blank. I am very open for suggestion.

vt357

imported post

WhiteFeather wrote:
Thanks forthe info.

A colleague of mine travels to Va and NC often and he said that of everywhere he had been, Chesterfield was the nicest. I posted hoping to hear some positive and I was a little dissapointed. Since my significant other will have the degree we were kinda looking at towns with a need for teachers and Chesterfield seemed like it would be perfect. I do not particulary want to be a police officer but rather a shariff's deputy for my own reasons.

PA has lost its charm to me. I really didn't care for itcoming from NC, but the political and person climate here just isn't up to par withwhat I consider a nice place. I would really like to move to VA but I am just at a loss as is to where I should try. My other considerations are Williamsburg, Petersburg, Emporia, and blank. I am very open for suggestion.
I do like Chesterfield, and it isn't all bad as we might have made it out to be. I lived just inside the Richmond city line while growing up, but went to private school in Chesterfield all the way through 12th grade. After college I moved back to the area and bought a house in Chesterfield. I have never had a problem here with my OCing and all the LEO I have met have been very professional.

But I will give you some advice from my perspective. My wife got her masters degree in teaching last year (with really good grades in grad school and lots of student teaching experience) and applied to Chesterfield County Schools. It is a great school system - therefore everyone else applied too. She couldn't even get the time of day with them. Powhatan and Goochland county schools, however, were very eager to interview her. She ended up taking a job at a private school (which there a quite a few of in the county).

From your other choices, I'd say throw Petersburg out the window. The crime there is quite high and it is a very low income area. I don't know a lot about Emporia myself, but there isn't a whole lot in the central southern part of VA except open spaces and the Lake Gaston communities. Williamsburg is a very very nice area. It is probably one of the nicer cities in the state. That said - it is very expensive to live there. Also Williamsburg is surrounded by military bases and national parks and parkways - you have to watch out where you drive while carrying to make sure you don't accidentally enter federal property.

When you come for your trip in the summer definitely check out Williamsburg (both the Colonial/historical area and the actual city where you might live - well worth the visit). But also make the drive up to Chesterfield too. Depending on when you come up, you might be able to make it to one of our OC dinners.

Another person who hasn't chimed in yet is hlh. He would probably have some good advice from the area too.

Loquinho

imported post

I live in downtown Richmond, and I love it, for city living. It's certainly not my first choice, but it's a reasonable sized city. If you're looking for more areas of Virginia to check out, look at Charlottesville, Staunton, Roanoke/Salem... all those areas are in the western part of the state - a little more mountains and rural areas than the eastern half. I'm looking at moving out to Powhatan or out near Tappahannock, which would get me out of the city but still within commuting distances.

Carpetbagger

Campaign Veteran
imported post

WhiteFeather wrote:
I have always wanted to return south however I find the political climate in NC less to my liking than VA.
I completely agree with you about this. I lived in Charlotte, NC for two years and was not very happy with the high-tax nanny state that NC has become. NC is much more similar to my home state of Mass. than it is to my adopted home state of VA...and anyone who has lived in Mass. will know that is not a compliment.

Skeptic

Founder's Club Member
imported post

doug23838 wrote:
Skeptic: Two of my closest friends (both quite conservative Republicans) crossed over to vote Demo in the primary so they could vote Obama. Listening to WRVA on primary day, lots of callers said they did the same thing. That gives me hope that the Va. primary elections were a shill contrived to help tee-up Obama so he can get knocked out of the park in Nov.
not to take this too far off topic, but of the 2, Obama is going to be much harder to beat, and is actually the ore dangerous politically. There will always be those who oppose Clinton because of her lack of likeability on top of her policies.

Obama is a smooth marxist who is far more anti gun than Bill Clinton. Even the Clintons never voted for a law to ban ALL semi automatic firearms, ALL handguns, and to put a federal ban on all civilian concealed carry. With both houses of congress and a popular president, he will get to do pretty much what he wants :(

Skeptic

Founder's Club Member
imported post

hlh wrote:
Don't come to Powhatan. We don't want any more growth. We don't want to become the future Chesterfield... Tell eveyone that Powhatan is a backward place where no one want's to live... We still have roaming indians out here! :what:
Eastern Powhatan is already showing signs of this.. of course Eastern Goochland is becoming the far far west end.

I figure out towards Hadensville/shannon hills in Goochland I am in a good place, for awhile, since it is over a 15 minute drive to the nearest regular traffic light :lol::lol:

doug23838

imported post

WhiteFeather wrote:
SNIP....My other considerations are Williamsburg, Petersburg, Emporia, and blank. I am very open for suggestion.

If I owned hell and Petersburg, I'd live in hell and rent out Petersburg. High crime. High un-employment. High taxes. I would avoid Petersburg.

Its going to depend on your lifestyle and what you need.

Hook up with one of the OC dinners here in the Richmond area. (I'm one to talk, I've missed the last 3 or 4 because of one thing or another.)

sitedzn

imported post

I think vt357 hit it on the head with the teaching jobs in the area. My wife applied to C'field and Henrico, got offers from both (this was like 4 years ago). The problem was, C'field didn't let her know anything until like mid-August. By that time she had already taken the Henrico job for $5k more per year. I think the ability for your significant other to find a teaching job relies heavily on what the subject is. My wife taught Spanish, so it was possibly a little easier to get a job teaching a language.

Lots of OCers in the county (and surrounding areas) with good times at the dinners (at least that's what I'm told since I seem to make about 3 a year:cuss:).

But yes, Williamsburg is a very nice area - just stear clear of Camp Peary!! I think there's a thread I saw on here where someone took that exit by mistake.:uhoh:

WhiteFeather

imported post

Thank you all for the wonderful information!!!

The more we look at what Chesterfield offers the more we like it.

I am more of a "middle of no where" guy. A house so far removed from society that I can do whatever I want and not batt and eyelash is my kind of living.

The little lady is enough story, although not a city girl she likes the idea of cookie cutter homes and neighborhoods. Chesterfield seems like it is a nice inbetween. I would love to take a trip down to Richmond and just check it out. However I don't think this will happen on my vacation since she has a huge agenda. But maybe sometime in the fall I will take some time off and just see what its like.

I have kinda discounted the Williamsburg area because of all the parks both amusement and other.

But I thank you all and will let everyone know when I am coming down.

P.S. What is the climate in the VA beach area for OC?

Spectre

imported post

sitedzn wrote:

Only 1 range that I'm aware of in Chesterfield (that allows pistols) http://www.dominionshootingrange.com/. I just make my way out to Black Creek in Hanover - bigger range with lots of options (and none of that "gotta buy our ammo" crap). I do know that Chesterfield PD is looking for folks.

That "crap" isn't crap at all. It's for safety. They don't want some yahoo with AP ammo shooting through the backstop and hitting little Suzy in the neighborhood behind them. Yes they mark up the ammo a little, but who doesn't nowadays? Just pay the extra $2 dollars and have fun. Eric, Dwayne, Craig, and Joel are great guys, and I have never been steered wrong by them.

Also they are planning on expanding their range so it will open up a lot more options are far as what you can shoot there in the near future.

vt357

imported post

Spectre wrote:
sitedzn wrote:
(and none of that "gotta buy our ammo" crap).

That "crap" isn't crap at all. It's for safety. They don't want some yahoo with AP ammo shooting through the backstop and hitting little Suzy in the neighborhood behind them. Yes they mark up the ammo a little, but who doesn't nowadays? Just pay the extra $2 dollars and have fun. Eric, Dwayne, Craig, and Joel are great guys, and I have never been steered wrong by them.

Also they are planning on expanding their range so it will open up a lot more options are far as what you can shoot there in the near future.
Most of the other indoor ranges that I have seen allow you to use your own ammo. Same rules apply - you're not supposed to use AP rounds. Did they have problems in the past? Liability insurance issues?

And it isn't $2 extra. I have almost stopped going to Dominion altogether. I could buy 100 rounds from Walmart for what they charge for 50 (yes its walmart and it is difficult to compete with their prices - exactly why I want to shoot my own ammo there). I also don't like that I can't try out my carry ammo there, unless I buy it from them.

67GT390FB

imported post

vt357 wrote:
Spectre wrote:
sitedzn wrote:
(and none of that "gotta buy our ammo" crap).

Most of the other indoor ranges that I have seen allow you to use your own ammo. Same rules apply - you're not supposed to use AP rounds. Did they have problems in the past? Liability insurance issues?

And it isn't $2 extra. I have almost stopped going to Dominion altogether. I could buy 100 rounds from Walmart for what they charge for 50 (yes its walmart and it is difficult to compete with their prices - exactly why I want to shoot my own ammo there). I also don't like that I can't try out my carry ammo there, unless I buy it from them.

chris and lucas,

its not just AP rounds that they are worried about. They also don't want and more importantly their insurance company doesn't want the liabilty of someones hand loads either having too much charge orreloaded brass that was reused one too many times and going kaboom.

I shudder to think what Dominions Liabilty Insurance premium is every year.

I understand about trying to save money but with 3.00+ per gallon gasoline i wonder how much of it is being saved by driving all the way out to Black Creek or the DGIF range in Amelia or Cavalier in western Hanover when if i remember correctly you guys live relatively close to dominion. I understand the drive for shooting rifles but if you are after pistol practice then save on gas and spend on ammo. either that or buy land that you can shoot on for free except for the mortgage interest and real estate taxes.

Just curious what is the range fee for the other indoor ranges? i guarantee if you are not paying for it through ammo you are paying for it somewhere else.

Also did you ask if you could shoot a mag or two of your carry ammo? I have before and they have never said no. They may want to know what you are going to shoot but they understand the need to check reliabilty of your carry ammo.adam, eric,craig etc are not ammo nazis.

joe

vt357

imported post

Joe,

That is true, Dominion does have a very cheap range fee compared to other ranges. I am just a little bitter because I am pretty spoiled. I got into firearms when I was a student at Tech - and there is a free forest service shooting range 5 minutes from Blacksburg. It was just so painful having to pay around $45 to shoot 100 rounds of .40 the first time I went. I have not asked about shooting a few carry ammo rounds - I had always assumed their policy was firm. You are right, I'd guess their insurance is through the roof.

67GT390FB

imported post

vt357 wrote:
Joe,

That is true, Dominion does have a very cheap range fee compared to other ranges. I am just a little bitter because I am pretty spoiled. I got into firearms when I was a student at Tech - and there is a free forest service shooting range 5 minutes from Blacksburg. It was just so painful having to pay around $45 to shoot 100 rounds of .40 the first time I went. I have not asked about shooting a few carry ammo rounds - I had always assumed their policy was firm. You are right, I'd guess their insurance is through the roof.
believe me i'd be complaining too if I wasn't blessed with being able to shoot on my parents and grandparents farms in Goochland or on my huntclub leases. I'd like to join cavalier but that 500.00 initial membership fee plus 275.00 yearly dues is hard to swallow. but i may just have to do it as an insurance policy.we are steadily losing land to development, for example we lost the big woods on either side of 288 where they are doing all the Watkins Center construction just north of the rt 60 /288 interchange. that was 350+/- acres.