• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Why OC as opposed to CC?

fullauto223cal

imported post

David I have CC for the last 11 yrs. and I CC because that's the way I prefer to carry. Don't want the shoot me first deal.
charlie12 - I premis this question by saying if you prefer CC over OC then you have every right to but I question your reasoning for doing so. What basis in fact can you provide that those who open carry are targeted for attack any more than those who don't. History and simple reasoning would seem to suggest otherwise but I'll keep an eye out for your response. Assuming your state law allows it, if you CC because you are afraid of "offending" someone then just say that instead.

charlie12

imported post

fullauto223cal wrote:
David I have CC for the last 11 yrs. and I CC because that's the way I prefer to carry. Don't want the shoot me first deal.
charlie12 - I premis this question by saying if you prefer CC over OC then you have every right to but I question your reasoning for doing so. What basis in fact can you provide that those who open carry are targeted for attack any more than those who don't. History and simple reasoning would seem to suggest otherwise but I'll keep an eye out for your response. Assuming your state law allows it, if you CC because you are afraid of "offending" someone then just say that instead.

I prefer to CC for the element of surprise, also the comment about the shoot me first comes from if I'm in a store and someone is open carrying and I'm not someone comes in to rob they will probably take out the person with the gun first. Maybe giving me time to do something. And yes we can OC in Louisiana.

Hope that answers your question.

BobCav

Founder's Club Member
imported post

:cuss::banghead:

Here we go again....

Glad you're here Charlie12 andif CC is what you're most comfortable with, then that's awesome. At least you're carrying!

Butplease remind me to NEVER OC with you in a store, ok? :what: LOL....

In that scenario you are using the OC'er getting shot at first (and possibly killed) to give you time to draw and cover. Gee thanks! I'd much rather work on being faster!

Getting picked out and shot first because you OCjust doesn't happen except in Hollywoodand it's an unreasonable fear put intopeople's minds by CC instructors that MAKE A LIVING (re: $$$) by CC classes! Of course they want EVERYONE to CC! It's their livelihood and they're protecting their incomes. It's a survival thing. OC = no CC = no classes = no $$. (You could make the point that somePolice might not want OC for the same reason? Hmmmmm..)

It just doesn't happen. Exactlyhow many OC'ers , just in the last year, have ever been picked out and shot first? Andhow many times have CWP holders drew their weapon during a crime? Though we'll never know,I also wonder how many times a CC holder COULD have drawn, but didn't get involved out of fear and stayed hidden...because they could. To me, in the situation you gave of being in a store when it's robbed CC only gives someonethe option to do NOTHING in the face of a crime. And I'll bet cash money THAT happens a lot more than OC'ers getting picked out and shot first.

To me, OC puts my money where my mouth is. Puts it all out there.I'd much ratherPREVENT the gunfight/crime with my deterent of OC, rather than have the element of surprise IN a gunfight. I'd much rather the "surprise" be how fast and accurate I could be under stress. To be truly honest I'd much rather never have to find out!

"We few...we happy few..."

Decoligny

imported post

charlie12 wrote:
fullauto223cal wrote:

I prefer to CC for the element of surprise, also the comment about the shoot me first comes from if I'm in a store and someone is open carrying and I'm not someone comes in to rob they will probably take out the person with the gun first. Maybe giving me time to do something. And yes we can OC in Louisiana.

Most criminal are cowardly predators. They seek soft targets. A thief walks into a 7-11 and sees a man with a gun on his hip, he most likely rethinks his target choice and goes someplace else where there isn't the probability that he will get shot.

charlie12

imported post

Decoligny wrote:
charlie12 wrote:
fullauto223cal wrote:

Most criminal are cowardly predators. They seek soft targets. A thief walks into a 7-11 and sees a man with a gun on his hip, he most likely rethinks his target choice and goes someplace else where there isn't the probability that he will get shot.
I agree most criminals are lazy and look for easy pickings.

drkarrow

imported post

For me it's three reasons.

#1 I am not a coward who hides in the closet. There are some out there who think guns are dirty bad things that should be hidden, and there are others who are simply afraid of what others will think of them.

#2 Because with OC I'm less likely to ever have to use it. People who CC do have the element of surprise, thus when something really bad happens they will be to draw and shoot. I would much rather have the bad guy know that I am armed and have him know that I will respond. This reduces the odds of me ever having to use it. Most criminals are looking for crimes of easy opportunity, and a OC'er is certainly not an easy target. An armed society is a polite society.

#3 I find OC more comfortable. I'm not going to make myself uncomfortable simply to prevent alarming the sheeple.

UTOC-45-44

imported post

drkarrow wrote:
For me it's three reasons.

#1 I am not a coward who hides in the closet. There are some out there who think guns are dirty bad things that should be hidden, and there are others who are simply afraid of what others will think of them.

#2 Because with OC I'm less likely to ever have to use it. People who CC do have the element of surprise, thus when something really bad happens they will be to draw and shoot. I would much rather have the bad guy know that I am armed and have him know that I will respond. This reduces the odds of me ever having to use it. Most criminals are looking for crimes of easy opportunity, and a OC'er is certainly not an easy target. An armed society is a polite society.

#3 I find OC more comfortable. I'm not going to make myself uncomfortable simply to prevent alarming the sheeple.
1000%:celebrate

broadmoorjc

imported post

I amconcerned! I do no want to antagonize the police. I do not want to make my fellow citizens feel uncomfortable. that being said, I do want to feel safe wherever I go. I am in a situation here in New Orleans, where the police really can't provide protection for the citizens who do not intend harm to others. It has been proven in court lately that the only people who are protected from harm are those who intentionally harm others. I am the security in my neighborhood, because the police cannot respond to armed robberies, shootings, and the like. I open carry at ALL times. I have not had a poblem, presumably because there are no cops patrolling my area. ( I live in uptown New Orleans, we are not talking about upper ninth, Hollygrove, or Central City) I DO want to be comfortable that I will not be arrested for exercising my rights. Does anyone have any information to verify that I am within my rights to carry my registered firearm openly on my hip.

FogRider

imported post

broadmoorjc wrote:
I amconcerned! I do no want to antagonize the police. I do not want to make my fellow citizens feel uncomfortable. that being said, I do want to feel safe wherever I go. I am in a situation here in New Orleans, where the police really can't provide protection for the citizens who do not intend harm to others. It has been proven in court lately that the only people who are protected from harm are those who intentionally harm others. I am the security in my neighborhood, because the police cannot respond to armed robberies, shootings, and the like. I open carry at ALL times. I have not had a poblem, presumably because there are no cops patrolling my area. ( I live in uptown New Orleans, we are not talking about upper ninth, Hollygrove, or Central City) I DO want to be comfortable that I will not be arrested for exercising my rights. Does anyone have any information to verify that I am within my rights to carry my registered firearm openly on my hip.
Peacfully carrying a gun is not "antagonizing the police", regardeless of what they may say. The same goes for your fellow citizens. Why should you care if your fellow citizens feel uncomfortable about you taking steps to protect yourself? Would you stop wearing a seatbelt if everyone else felt uncomfortable about it?

CrashVector

imported post

I look at it this way:

Why pay a $300 fee so I can hide a gun on my person when I can easily (and more comfortably) open-carry for free?

I OC because I have absolutely nothing to hide. I have the right to protect myself and my family, and I exercise that right.

Are there times that I would CC? Sure. Like in winter or when I'd like to wear a suit or an over-shirt or something...but again..I'm not going to jump through all kinds of hoops, pay $300, and have my name and address available as public record that I have a CC permit.

Maybe if the Louisiana government would think a little more about the privacy of those getting a CC permit, then more people would consider it. Publishing the names and addresses, or making it public record so that anyone can get the list of permit holders, is just senseless...and pointless except that it discourages people from getting the permit. Add to this the fact that OC is legal, and free and I honestly dont see why anyone in Louisiana bothers with a CC permit at all. $300 for a right thatis free is just ignorant on the government's part.

charlie12

imported post

CrashVector wrote:
I look at it this way:

Why pay a $300 fee so I can hide a gun on my person when I can easily (and more comfortably) open-carry for free?

I OC because I have absolutely nothing to hide. I have the right to protect myself and my family, and I exercise that right.

Are there times that I would CC? Sure. Like in winter or when I'd like to wear a suit or an over-shirt or something...but again..I'm not going to jump through all kinds of hoops, pay $300, and have my name and address available as public record that I have a CC permit.

Maybe if the Louisiana government would think a little more about the privacy of those getting a CC permit, then more people would consider it. Publishing the names and addresses, or making it public record so that anyone can get the list of permit holders, is just senseless...and pointless except that it discourages people from getting the permit. Add to this the fact that OC is legal, and free and I honestly dont see why anyone in Louisiana bothers with a CC permit at all. $300 for a right thatis free is just ignorant on the government's part.
Where is it published where you can see who has a permit?

CrashVector

imported post

read the application you filled out.

I quote: "Notice: Upon issuance of your concealed handgun permit, your name, address, and date of birth will become public record."

That is a direct quote from the CCW permit application that can be found at the Louisiana State Police website.

http://www.lsp.org/pdf/chApplication.pdf

It's on the first page.

I think I'll continue to OC instead of my name, address, and birth date becoming permanant public record. So...CC still more appealing? At least when I OC, no one knows my home address or the fact that there are firearms stored there.

Flintlock

imported post

charlie12 wrote:
I think you might find that you would have a very hard time finding any evidence of even one incident that has taken place where an armed citizen, open carrying, was specifically targeted because the weapon was in plain sight. Most people that I observe don't even notice and have no clue what is going on around them and I have never heard of any such incidents...

Edit: Spelling

UTOC-45-44

imported post

Flintlock wrote:
charlie12 wrote:
I think you might find that you would have a very hard time finding any evidence of even one incident that has taken place where an armed citizen, open carrying, was specifically targeted because the weapon was in plain sight. Most people that I observe don't even notice and have no clue what is going on around them adn I have never heard of nay such incidents...

Flintlock, I agree with you.

I OC EVERY DAY. NEVER had ANYBODY shooting at me just because I OCed. However I know tha I have DETERED crimes while OCing, including an invasion of my own home.

NOBODY "draws" down on my because I merely OC.

TJ

Doug Huffman

Banned
Washington Island, across Death's Door, Wisconsin,
imported post

Elsewhere they are called Sworn Officers of the Law (SOL) to remove the confusion/conflation between officers of law enforcement and 'law enforcement officers' (LEO). Note how easily 'cop' is embraced, perhaps meaning Constable on Patrol, but not Constable the traditional title.

Hearks back to Ferdinand Tonnies' Gemeinschaft und Gesellschaft; loosely translated as 'traditional community and civil society'.

UTOC-45-44

imported post

mark edward marchiafava wrote:
I've been drawn on TWICE, both times by "law enforcement officers" acting outside the law, for merely openly carrying.
Will I grovel for a permit to conceal from a paid public servant? Never.

Mark, I stand corrected.

I have NEVER been "drawn" down on by a "civilian", but by a LEO only once so far.

Bravo_Sierra

imported post

DMB wrote:
Hello, new here and curious. I have a few basic questions that might help me understand better the OC movement. First: Why OC? Yea, it's your right (in some places) but why not CC? I had a CC permit before I was a cop and I know it's a pain in the ass to obtain and expensive. If it were free, would you prefer it? I never OC when I'm off duty. Even on duty many times I CC due to my position (detective). Is it just the fees and hassle of obtaining a CC permit? Personally, I don't like the added attention it draws. I know some say it may hinder access to a weapon, but I think it is your responsibility to be proficient in drawing your weapon from whatever the configuration you choose.

Also, what would you like to see from LEOs with respect to individuals who OC? Thanks - David

Plain and simple: I don't see the need to pay $250 for a Government permission slip to hide my God-Given right. So for now, I'll wear my pistol out in the open.

concerned_citizen

imported post

I have recently completed all the necessary requirements (gun safety class, fingerprints, photos, notary, etc) for the LA concealed weapon application, but I'm? considering not applying. The $$$ isn't a huge deal, but are there any 'more' places I can carry with a CC permit? or is it just the difference of concealment or not?

For example, can I open carry in a restaurant or in Walmart? Can they ask me to leave? Would then the CC permit be better? What is the 'real' advantage?

Secondly, I don't like the idea of being in a national database as a permit-holder. Is it not a common war-time tactic to obtain such lists for population disarmament? Did Hitler and Stalin not employ such tactics?