• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Need ideas for OC and Concealed

netballs11

imported post

I am looking for a decent size and power pistol for my father to carry in a hip holster
Him and I are both looking to OC when possible and CC otherwise or winter time and such

I personally plan on getting a .44 Magnum DE because i have looked into it and have the money just need to turn 21. I have everything ready for when the day comes and Ive been prepared

My father on the other hand is unsure as what to get. He wants something that is decent sized, not too small and not as big as mine, and also has power and is fun to shoot.

And suggestions?

deepdiver

Campaign Veteran
imported post

With that criteria for what your dad wants, that limits it down to about a few thousand possibilities. Revolver or semi-auto? What caliber does he usually shoot? Is the cost of ammunition an issue? Etc.

Think about it in terms of vehicles. This is essentially the question you have asked: My dad wants a new vehicle. He wants something that is decent sized, not too small and not to big, and also has enough power and is fun to drive. Those descriptions mean a lot of different things to different people and don't give us enough information to even consider a starting point for making suggestions.

eyesopened

imported post

VAopencarry wrote:
If you are seriously buying a Desert Eagle for CC and OC purposes, you will find that to be a big mistake.
+1 I would not want to OC/CC anything the size of a Desert Eagle! Imagine walking around with a 3lb brick on your hip for hours. Get yourself a good Chiropractor in advance!

netballs11

imported post

deepdiver wrote:
With that criteria for what your dad wants, that limits it down to about a few thousand possibilities. Revolver or semi-auto? What caliber does he usually shoot? Is the cost of ammunition an issue? Etc.

Think about it in terms of vehicles. This is essentially the question you have asked: My dad wants a new vehicle. He wants something that is decent sized, not too small and not to big, and also has enough power and is fun to drive. Those descriptions mean a lot of different things to different people and don't give us enough information to even consider a starting point for making suggestions.

Well I tod him either a 9mm or a .40 because of size and ammunition. Semi auto preferably. And he doesnt shoot at all. So basically a starter pistol. Whats good for that? Sorry to be so vague, its just that he has no idea and Im trying to help him out.

eyesopened wrote:
VAopencarry wrote:
If you are seriously buying a Desert Eagle for CC and OC purposes, you will find that to be a big mistake.
+1 I would not want to OC/CC anything the size of a Desert Eagle! Imagine walking around with a 3lb brick on your hip for hours. Get yourself a good Chiropractor in advance!

Id be getting a shoulder holster. Granted Ill take advice if something seems more logical :)
And if it got to the point where it was too large for some reason I am unsure of (I am a big boy) then I would get something smaller. I have several ideas for what I would be getting.

KodiakISGOOD

imported post

netballs11 wrote:
I am looking for a decent size and power pistol for my father to carry in a hip holster
Him and I are both looking to OC when possible and CC otherwise or winter time and such

I personally plan on getting a .44 Magnum DE because i have looked into it and have the money just need to turn 21. I have everything ready for when the day comes and Ive been prepared

My father on the other hand is unsure as what to get. He wants something that is decent sized, not too small and not as big as mine, and also has power and is fun to shoot.

And suggestions?
For what my opinion is worth to you, DO NOT BUY A DE! While fun to fire, they tend to be a coin toss as far as reliability goes (from what ive seen). A close friend of mine owned one. This friend and I usually go to the range once a month or so. In the 2 years that he owned his DE the bolt broke twice and he also found that ammo was very difficult to find for it (.50AE). Not really practical IMO.

I am not familiar with your experience nor your father's, but what you are asking is something decent sized and not stupidly large, has stopping power and is fun to shoot.

Now for my suggestion..... GLOCK 20 (10mm Auto) capable of firing .357 sig, .40 S&W, 10mm auto, and 9x25 Dillon!!!!! :D Full size and since you are a big boy, you will probably be able to conceal it also. And BEST of ALL...IT'S A BLAST TO SHOOT! (excuse the pun)

I do not own a glock 20, but i will very soon!

If this has all gone in one ear and out the other and you still plan on purchasing a DE get one that is a .440 Corbon!

happy carrying

jason

Agent6-3/8

imported post

The DE is one of the most useless guns ever made, IMO. Both you and your father would be much better served with a NRA handgun course and a Glock 19/23/32 or S&W M&P or similar design.

Rando

imported post

I have a Glock 27, a Sig 229, and a Taurus PT-140 all in 40 cal. all are great guns and fun to shoot. The Sig is a little heavy for certain carry options, the Taurus is the easiest to conceal as it is smaller. I like the 40. over the 9mm because of better knock down and they can carry more rounds than the 45. and are usually slimmer than the 45. ie better to conceal. I also carry a couple of 380.'s at times that the bigger guns are not practical when you would rather go CC. I do agree with the others on the Desert Eagle to dang big for CC or OC and really how well can you control one for follow up shots if needed and to safegauard any innocents around that you might be trying to protect but might hit with poor gun control. I took my wife to a range with rental guns and let her try 7 or 8 different guns shehad a great time and found one that fit her hand well and that she could control well, this is best on somewhat limited funds you will not buy one that looks good but does'nt work for you and then take a loss trying to sell or trade for another!!!

Good luck and safe shooting,Rando:dude:

netballs11

imported post

So much hate for the Desert Eagle. Ive had a little prcatice with it as my friends own the .50 version, granted I didnt get hit in the head, its an awful lot of kick. But I do enjoy how it feels and with a smaller caliber I can hope to be able to control it, thats what practice is for.

Thanks for yalls help, I am gonna probably go for a .40 for myself as well as for my father. Then resave for something a little more fun for OC in the summer and such(DE).

And if I may ask, what do yall carry? Whether OC or CC. Im kind of curious and like to know whats out there

KodiakISGOOD

imported post

netballs11 wrote:
So much hate for the Desert Eagle. Ive had a little prcatice with it as my friends own the .50 version, granted I didnt get hit in the head, its an awful lot of kick. But I do enjoy how it feels and with a smaller caliber I can hope to be able to control it, thats what practice is for.

Thanks for yalls help, I am gonna probably go for a .40 for myself as well as for my father. Then resave for something a little more fun for OC in the summer and such(DE).

And if I may ask, what do yall carry? Whether OC or CC. Im kind of curious and like to know whats out there
i carry a glock 22 (.40 for work and not work), when i'm also not working i carry a sig p229 elite (.40 or .357sig depending on the mood) and i also have been known to carry a S&W model 19 revolver (.357 mag) :lol:

happy carrying

jason

deepdiver

Campaign Veteran
imported post

I typically carry an XD 45 compact or a Sig P228, although I do have some smaller calibers I occasionally carry when deeper, more inocuous concealment is required.

acrimsontide

imported post

netballs11 wrote:

Kimber Ultra Carry .45 ACP most of the time. Sometime a Sig 228 9mm

Sleepless

imported post

netballs11 wrote:

Presently OC I carry my mind and that makes me quite dangerous and CC well that isn't appropriate here. :lol:

Well as a gun presently I don't carry anything because here in Canada you have to jump through a lot of hoops and all the training courses that are close to me are all in french which is a language I don't speakvery well at all, and if you get a license here in Canada and you want to bring it to the range then you got to apply for a permit to transport your gun and in the application you gotto put where exactly you are gonna transport the gun and why, so right now I am gonna wait until I move to Virginia Beach and then I am gonna look at which gun to buy but I am actually leaning towards a XD Service 4" .45 ACP for both OC and CC purposes but I am not quite sure which one I am gonna choose as a CC backup gun in an ankle holster because you got to have something to protect yourself if you get your gun taken away from you.

But enjoy the DE, I was thinking about buying one later but from what I have been told of the weight and size of it then it doesn't sound good for me but I would recommend that you get the DE Kit so you can switch the barrel from .40 to .357 and .50 so you can choose what you like the most, good luck and let us know how you and your dad likes it.

ATCer

imported post

Glock 23... love every minute of it too! Didn't want the full size, so I went down a notch. (In size of course, not quality)

Marco

imported post

Since money isn't the problem and you apparently want the most bang for your buck I would consider the Glock 20 in 10mm, or a 1911(Dan Wesson) in the same caliber.

Thereis another option but the price goes up considerably, have you considered a Coonan.

EDIT:
There are usually one or two listed on Gunbroker.

Link to GB removed.

tju1973

imported post

To each his own-- I would vote against any DE or DE variant (Baby Eagle)--

I bought my wife a Taurus PT111 (in pink no less)-- It is a good shooter and fits her hands well-- and actually fits mine ok-- and I don't have small hands-- also the 9mm is as small as I would go for a primary carry.

I would always recommend almost any 1911 pistol-- it has been one of the most popular pistols of all time since 1911-- and the .45 ACP has always been my round of choice for non armored baddies-- and now you can ge them in 9mm, .40SW, and 10mm... Slabsides is good for all carrys IMHO--

For newer shooters, I would always recommend a revolver-- My preference is a Charter Bulldog in 44 Special, but almost any 38special and above would work...

Just some thoughts..