• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Carrying in private vehicles on public campuses

Jimmy Dean

imported post

OK, I live on campus, at La Tech in Ruston.

I own a .45

I have almost always kept my gun in my truck, on occasion in my campus apartment (when my truck was goin into the shop)

I know the Tech cops, they know that I keep a gun in my truck and sometimes in my apartment, in fact there have been a few times where they have come over and seen a box of ammo on the countertop.

Anyways, while Ihave had no problem 'getting away with it,' I am not so friendly with some of the newer cops, and as of right now, one of my cop friends is holding my gun for me (thing doesnt work right now anyways, missing the assembly pin for it) Can I legally keep the gun in my truck while on campus? Does it need to be unloaded, locked, etc when it is there. It is a bit of a PITA to have to part another half a mile away from my apartment and classrooms in order to keep my truck off campus

-Jimmy Dean-

p.s. I will hopefully soon be working on letters and petition to work on revoking laws against CCW on public college and university campuses....in light of the very recent and close to home shootings at LSU and La. Tech...I personally feel this is an important issue for us, and with a new gov on hte lake...well...who knows

DMB

imported post

Jimmy Dean wrote:
I have almost always kept my gun in my truck, on occasion in my campus apartment (when my truck was goin into the shop)
Jimmy, I got to tell you buddy that storing a pistol in your truck is very irresponsible. I am a Detective and work a lot of vehicle burglary cases. Every time I work a large case where multiple vehicles in a subdivision are burglarized, always without exception a gun or guns are stolen. The majority of the time the owner has no serial number on file to aid us in recovering the weapon and charging someone should it be recovered. There are enough illegal weapons on the street without us making it easier on criminals to obtain them. I would urge, no ask, you to please not keep weapons in your vehicle as a means of storage. - David

Jimmy Dean

imported post

Quistion is, Would you rather advise me that I store my weapon (illegally) in my campus apartment, or sit there and disallow me to carry at all based on the fact that I live on a college campus and have no other option but to keep it in my truck?

I mean, I understand your point, but I don't have alot of choices here

DMB

imported post

Jimmy Dean wrote:
Quistion is, Would you rather advise me that I store my weapon (illegally) in my campus apartment, or sit there and disallow me to carry at all based on the fact that I live on a college campus and have no other option but to keep it in my truck?

I mean, I understand your point, but I don't have alot of choices here
First of all, I never said anything about disallowing you to keep a weapon. Let's set the record straight on that right now because invariably someone will misinterpret that into "the cops are saying I can't own a weapon because I live on a college campus." And yes, you are correct in that you don't have many choices. Based on your statements it sounds like you aren't supposed to keep it in your truck either (if it's on campus) I don't have the perfect answer for you other than to move off campus, however I was a broke ass college student once upon a time as well so I realize that may not be a viable option. At least record the model, serial number, etc so that in the unfortunate event it is stolen from your vehicle it can possibly be identified and recovered. Good luck, I feel your pain. - David

aroundlsu

imported post

It has been decided by case law that your car is an extension of your home and as such you can keep a gun in your car on campus. You may wish to consider an inexpensive lock box for your car that can be bolted to the floor. Even cheaper, get a good set of handcuffs and cuff the pistol to a rigid portion of the vehicle. While this will not guarantee they won't steal it, it will make it far more difficult.

You should ask this question on bayoushooter.com. LouisianaCarry is very knowledgeable on state laws and can quote you the exact case numbers.

Jimmy Dean

imported post

ok, I will get hte serial numbes and what not to write down, I have been wanting to get a lockbox, even for when it is in the truck

jbs

imported post

I was told by my ccw instructor that a dorm room or campus apt. is considered your "domicile" and therefore it is legal for you to keep a weapon there. Same with the vehicle. It is an extension of your property, so regardless of where your vehicle is the weapons inside it are your business. I'm not a lawyer, but that's what the guy teaching this stuff said.

charlie12

imported post

jbs wrote:
I was told by my ccw instructor that a dorm room or campus apt. is considered your "domicile" and therefore it is legal for you to keep a weapon there. Same with the vehicle. It is an extension of your property, so regardless of where your vehicle is the weapons inside it are your business. I'm not a lawyer, but that's what the guy teaching this stuff said.

They might try to bust you for walking from your car to your dorm room with the gun.

jbs

imported post

charlie12 wrote:
 They might  try to bust you for walking from your car to your dorm room with the gun.
[/quote]

Sorry, should have also put that it is legal to transport from one to the other