• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

How in the hell can this bill do anything?

joshmmm

imported post

If the point of a restraining order is to inform a person that he/she will face serious consequences (supposedly) for coming within x distance of a person, what is the point of having said restraining order if the person doesn't freakin know about it!!!!

http://www.komotv.com/news/15823292.html

Talk about a waste of time, not to mention lack of due process and a host of other issues on the validity of service that I think are far beyond the point, but none-the-less literally will render the bill moot after an expensive, state/taxpayer funded fight...

expvideo

imported post

So I need to start watching the news paper classifieds to make sure I don't have a restraining order? That's retarded.

Jered

imported post

How would that law have stopped that guy?

He obviously isn't around to face the consequences.

And if they can't find him, how are they going to know where to mail it, or where to publish it?

heresolong

imported post

Didn't you guys read the story? Printing the restraining order in the newspaper will result in ""This crippling fear needs to be reversed onto the abuser,". I know that if I was thinking about killing my ex and then committing suicide I would be terrified if I read about a restraining order in the PI.

Johnny Law

imported post

I'm sure the victim's family is hurting, but this is a knee-jerk emotionalreaction to the problem on their part. Even if this passes, any attorney could get the charge dropped by arguing that there was no knowledge of an order.

It's true that it is sometimes hard to find the respondent to serve an order to, but this is usually because they do not wish to be found. I can't agree with arresting someone for a crime thatyou can't provethey knew they committed.

In the case of the U.W. Griegoincident, even a served order would not have stoppedthis person, as he was obviouslybent on homicide/suicide.

DrewGunner

imported post

What would this have do for Griego? Not a god dam thing.

She did everything she could have done to protect herself, except for buying a gun.

Those Who Forget History Are Doomed to Repeat It. I will not soon forget this.

Arm Yourself, Protect Life.

spike89

imported post

the last line of the KOMO story:
"The Rebecca Griego bill has already passed the Senate and is expected to pass the House and be signed by the governor."

I just love how our esteemed queen Gregoire, previously the ATTORNEY GENERAL, acts as if she has no knowledge of, or worse, a complete disregard for law. She supported the DUI checkpoint bill (Constitution? We don't need no stinking constitution!) and now this (Due process? We don't need no stinking due process!).

I'm all for keeping the bad guys down, but c'mon. I don't know how easy it is to get a protection order against somebody but if that process can be abused by vengeful spouses just hoping to make some poor sap's life miserable, this law is like giving them an upgrade from a .22 to a 155mm Howitzer in how much misery they could dish out.

Jered

imported post

This won't even do anything, because the police have no legal duty to protect you even if you do have an order in the first place.

And, she could have paid the sheriff to serve the dirtbag.