• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Disturbing the peace charge

ghostrider

imported post

This from the Grand Rapids PD website:
Question:
I know it is required to have a concealed weapons permit to carry a pistol concealed, but is it against the law to carry a pistol out in the open?
Answer:
With or without a Carrying a Concealed Weapons (CCW) permit, you cannot walk around with a firearm in public. If you have a valid CCW permit, you would be violating both State and City ordinances pertaining to brandishing or flourishing a firearm (reference State law 750.234e and City ordinance 9.172.) If you do not have a valid CCW permit, you would be violating the above laws and several others.

From the Grand Rapids Code:
Sec. 9.172. Discharging or Flourishing. No person shall discharge any firearm in the City of Grand Rapids, and no person shall draw, handle or flourish any firearm in any public street, alley or other place open to the public in the City of Grand Rapids.
From State Code

[align=center]THE MICHIGAN PENAL CODE (EXCERPT)
Act 328 of 1931

[/align]
750.234e Brandishing firearm in public; applicability; violation as misdemeanor; penalty.
Sec. 234e.

(1) Except as provided in subsection (2), a person shall not knowingly brandish a firearm in public.
(2) Subsection (1) does not apply to any of the following:
(a) A peace officer lawfully performing his or her duties as a peace officer.
(b) A person lawfully engaged in hunting.
(c) A person lawfully engaged in target practice.
(d) A person lawfully engaged in the sale, purchase, repair, or transfer of that firearm.
(3) A person who violates this section is guilty of a misdemeanor punishable by imprisonment for not more than 90 days, or a fine of not more than $100.00, or both.

History: Add. 1990, Act 321, Eff. Mar. 28, 1991

I’ve not found definitions for “brandish” or “flourish” in either State, or GR code.

The following are from the dictionary:

Flourish:
-To make showy, wavy motions. As of the arms.

Brandish:
-To wave, shake, or exhibit in a menacing, challenging , or exultant way.

Venator

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter
imported post

ghostrider wrote:
Question:
I know it is required to have a concealed weapons permit to carry a pistol concealed, but is it against the law to carry a pistol out in the open?
Answer:
With or without a Carrying a Concealed Weapons (CCW) permit, you cannot walk around with a firearm in public. If you have a valid CCW permit, you would be violating both State and City ordinances pertaining to brandishing or flourishing a firearm (reference State law 750.234e and City ordinance 9.172.) If you do not have a valid CCW permit, you would be violating the above laws and several others.
I'm on this. I will email the department and set them straight on this crap. Send me the link to this section Please, I can't find it. NEVER MIND I FOUND IT. Disgusting.

ghostrider

imported post

Venator wrote:
ghostrider wrote:
Question:
Answer:
I'm on this. I will email the department and set them straight on this crap. Send me the link to this section Please, I can't find it. NEVER MIND I FOUND IT. Disgusting.
The significant thing about this is that it could easily make accidental exposure or printing of CCW fall under the same offense. It also explaines why my CCW instructor told us that accidental exposure would be illegal.

kmcdowel

imported post

ghostrider wrote:
The significant thing about this is that it could easily make accidental exposure or printing of CCW fall under the same offense.
It also explaines why my CCW instructor told us that accidental exposure would be illegal.

...did you see what skippy wrote? Please check into it. It clearly defines what brandishing is and is not in Michigan.

1. Accidental exposure or printing of your handgun violates no law. None. Please prove me wrong...

2. Your instructor is a misinformedand is lying.I hope you bring it to his/her attention. Accidental exposure is not illegal.

The AG opinion.
In the absence of any reported Michigan appellate court decisions defining "brandishing," it is appropriate to rely upon dictionary definitions. People v Denio, 454 Mich 691, 699; 564 NW2d 13 (1997). According to The American Heritage Dictionary, Second College Edition (1982), at p 204, the term brandishing is defined as: "1. To wave or flourish menacingly, as a weapon. 2. To display ostentatiously. –n. A menacing or defiant wave or flourish." This definition comports with the meaning ascribed to this term by courts of other jurisdictions. For example, in United States v Moerman, 233 F3d 379, 380 (CA 6, 2000), the court recognized that in federal sentencing guidelines, "brandishing" a weapon is defined to mean "that the weapon was pointed or waved about, or displayed in a threatening manner."

Applying these definitions to your question, it is clear that a reserve police officer, regardless whether he or she qualifies as a "peace officer," when carrying a handgun in a holster in plain view, is not waving or displaying the firearm in a threatening manner. Thus, such conduct does not constitute brandishing a firearm in violation of section 234e of the Michigan Penal Code.

EDIT: In regards to the local ordinance, please see the discussions regarding preemption.

ghostrider

imported post

kmcdowel wrote:
ghostrider wrote:
The significant thing about this is that it could easily make accidental exposure or printing of CCW fall under the same offense.
It also explaines why my CCW instructor told us that accidental exposure would be illegal.

...did you see what skippy wrote? Please check into it. It clearly defines what brandishing is and is not in Michigan.

1. Accidental exposure or printing of your handgun violates no law. None. Please prove me wrong...

2. Your instructor is a misinformedand is lying.I hope you bring it to his/her attention. Accidental exposure is not illegal.

The AG opinion.
In the absence of any reported Michigan appellate court decisions defining "brandishing," it is appropriate to rely upon dictionary definitions. People v Denio, 454 Mich 691, 699; 564 NW2d 13 (1997). According to The American Heritage Dictionary, Second College Edition (1982), at p 204, the term brandishing is defined as: "1. To wave or flourish menacingly, as a weapon. 2. To display ostentatiously. –n. A menacing or defiant wave or flourish." This definition comports with the meaning ascribed to this term by courts of other jurisdictions. For example, in United States v Moerman, 233 F3d 379, 380 (CA 6, 2000), the court recognized that in federal sentencing guidelines, "brandishing" a weapon is defined to mean "that the weapon was pointed or waved about, or displayed in a threatening manner."

Applying these definitions to your question, it is clear that a reserve police officer, regardless whether he or she qualifies as a "peace officer," when carrying a handgun in a holster in plain view, is not waving or displaying the firearm in a threatening manner. Thus, such conduct does not constitute brandishing a firearm in violation of section 234e of the Michigan Penal Code.

EDIT: In regards to the local ordinance, please see the discussions regarding preemption.
I'm familiar with all that. I'm just saying that it makes sense that the instructor would teach that since the GRPD has stated it's policy. No need to shoot the messenger. The instructor doesn't need to teach his students something that will get them in trouble in the local area, right or wrong. He isn't an activist.

I've read a great many of the threads on this forum dealing with OC and preemption. I'm not saying I agree with him, just connecting the dots as to why he would teach the misinformation. Even the lawyer who taught the class told me in a private conversation that OC was illegal in GR. Now I know why.

Notice how the statement by GRPD said that OC is in voilation of "State and Citty ordinance."

Still haven't found the MCL for DTP.

SpringerXDacp

imported post

ghostrider wrote:
SNIP

Notice how the statement by GRPD said that OC is in voilation of "State and Citty ordinance."

I've been searching Michigan Legislature for DTP, Inducing Panic, etc., and found nothing.

I have found DTP to be at a local unit of gov level (Townships & Cities):

http://www.municode.com/resources/code_list.asp?stateID=22

Venator

imported post

ghostrider wrote:
kmcdowel wrote:
ghostrider wrote:

The AG opinion.

I'm familiar with all that. I'm just saying that it makes sense that the instructor would teach that since the GRPD has stated it's policy. No need to shoot the messenger. The instructor doesn't need to teach his students something that will get them in trouble in the local area, right or wrong. He isn't an activist.

I've read a great many of the threads on this forum dealing with OC and preemption. I'm not saying I agree with him, just connecting the dots as to why he would teach the misinformation. Even the lawyer who taught the class told me in a private conversation that OC was illegal in GR. Now I know why.

THE GRPD IS POSTING INCORRECT DATA. IT is not illegal to open carry in GR. The chief keeps this info up so he can manipulate the un-informed, and control the citizenry of the city.

I have sent an email to the chief explaining all this. No response yet and I'm not expecting one. I will continue to ask the Chief to remove his erronious and deceptive information. Perhaps I can get an attorney to write a letter to have it removed.

Seems our next open carry meeting should be in downtown GR.

ghostrider

imported post

SpringerXDacp wrote:
ghostrider wrote:
SNIP

I've been searching Michigan Legislature for DTP, Inducing Panic, etc., and found nothing.

I have found DTP to be at a local unit of gov level (Townships & Cities):

http://www.municode.com/resources/code_list.asp?stateID=22
I've had about the same results.

ghostrider

imported post

Venator wrote:

THE GRPD IS POSTING INCORRECT DATA. IT is not illegal to open carry in GR. The chief keeps this info up so he can manipulate the un-informed, and control the citizenry of the city.

I have sent an email to the chief explaining all this. No response yet and I'm not expecting one. I will continue to ask the Chief to remove his erronious and deceptive information. Perhaps I can get an attorney to write a letter to have it removed.

Seems our next open carry meeting should be in downtown GR.
Maybe you should know that they just appointed a new chief a couple weeks ago. The old chief left less than maybe six months ago and there was an interim chief durring the in between period. Judging by some of the comments on that site, I'm guessing that those answers were probably posted when the old chief was still in office.

I would come to an OC meeting in GR, but should point out that I don't OC, and really don't wish to. GR is a "small town" and I really don't want people in my neighborhood to know I have a gun, and single me out for home invasion when I am not there. However, that doesn't mean I don't support the cause. If you guys come, I'll try my best to be there.

adam40cal

imported post

I'm gonna write the governor and have her inform the police chiefs that open carry is not illegal in the state of Michigan. They need to hear this from the person in charge of our government.

Michigander

imported post

Adam, I am not sure that would do much. She is a thick headed twit. I say that based on 2 people I have known that worked with her.

It may do some good, and it may not. I sincerely doubt she will do anything to further our cause. But what the hey, it can't hurt to write to her.

UpNorth

imported post

If she could find a way to TAX people who openy carry (advertisement fee for Glock, sig, Colt, etc..), then maybe, just maybe, she would.....

chaneyd

imported post

Don't understand all this crap about OC. The law is very clear on that and the Attorney General has made his ruling about this. OC is NOT against the law and any LEO attempting to violate people on this law will be dealt with.

Some LEO's will attempt to ticket or arrest you for assumed violations such as Brandishing (the Attorney General has stated that brandishing will be understood as what the Webster dictionary says it is. Showing in a menacing manner. OC is not menacing by itself, therefore no crime is being committed). It doesn't matter if John Q. Citizen is spooked by the sight of OC. Get over it.

Some LEO's will also try to cite you for disturbing the peace. What most police officers are not aware of is that Michigan law is very clear about charging citizens with false crimes. It is against the law to do so. You can't be charged or arrested for committing a crime that doesn't exist. I know. That was tried with me twice and I sued the police departments and won. OC is not against the law by itself. Too bad that some LEO's don't approve. I don't need their approval. Their job is to enforce the laws, not interpret them. That's for lawyers, judges and courts. Worked for me.

Venator

imported post

chaneyd wrote:
Don't understand all this crap about OC. The law is very clear on that and the Attorney General has made his ruling about this. OC is NOT against the law and any LEO attempting to violate people on this law will be dealt with.

Some LEO's will attempt to ticket or arrest you for assumed violations such as Brandishing (the Attorney General has stated that brandishing will be understood as what the Webster dictionary says it is. Showing in a menacing manner. OC is not menacing by itself, therefore no crime is being committed). It doesn't matter if John Q. Citizen is spooked by the sight of OC. Get over it.

Some LEO's will also try to cite you for disturbing the peace. What most police officers are not aware of is that Michigan law is very clear about charging citizens with false crimes. It is against the law to do so. You can't be charged or arrested for committing a crime that doesn't exist. I know. That was tried with me twice and I sued the police departments and won. OC is not against the law by itself. Too bad that some LEO's don't approve. I don't need their approval. Their job is to enforce the laws, not interpret them. That's for lawyers, judges and courts. Worked for me.

Were the arrests for Open carry? If you do open carry tell us about your experiences on the sticky thread at the top of the page.