• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Things to say when explaining why I carry.

SWhetsel

imported post

Not that I personally need a reason to carry, I think anyone with half a brain can see how crappy some places are getting. I love the article on the Boy Scouts getting robbed, proof in the pudding there. The problem I have is that I’m not always able to convey how I feel about carrying to some people, such as my mother.

What I’m looking for is how to explain to her that Guns aren’t dangerous and ARE needed. She grew up with guns, and 3 brothers that hunted. Yet, she never allowed guns at her house, even when I was growing up. I had a shotgun for deer hunting, a .22 for squirrel, and I wasn’t allowed to keep them at the house. I had to lock them up over at my Grandfathers.

Now I am by no means irresponsible, and have always been a “good” kid. I was introduced to guns at a young age in the Cub Scouts and earned both the Shotgun and Rifle merit badge in Boy Scouts. I have gone through Army basic training, and Military Police school.

I can’t carry in her house and I asked her what she doesn’t like about guns. She says that, “Carrying a gun shows that you are scared. I don't have anything to be scared of, I live in a good neighborhood, and it’s only a 15 sec walk to my car at work.” Now, she works in a bad part of Cleveland and I would love to see her carry a little .38, but one thing at a time.

How can I show her that guns aren’t the problem, it’s the thugs and irresponsible people using them. I need facts to show her that she is mistaken on all of her, “I heard from so and so” rants on how guns are unsafe. She doesn’t understand things like, Gun accidents may go up when more people carry, but that’s because you are increasing the odds of it happening. Like, more car accidents happen in a city than they do in the country. Only because there are more people and more variables, not because the people are worse drives.

Help on what to say!!! Thanks in advance.

Decoligny

imported post

1. Ask her if she carries a spare tire in her car.

If she answers yes, ask her if that proves that she afraid she will get a flat tire.

2. Ask her if she keeps a box of bandaids in the bathroom medicine cabinet.

If she answers yes, ask her if that proves that she afraid she will get a cut.

3. Ask her if shelocksher doors at night.

If she answers yes, ask her ifthat provesthat she is afraid of burglers.

These items are all there "Just In Case" they happen to be needed.

sehiser

imported post

Over 2 million crimes prevented last year due to firearms.

It's cheap life insurance.

Keep in mind, guns aren't for everybody. I believe it's a 1 in 4 chance of somebody being a victim of a preventable crime. What are the chances of being hit by lightening? People still take cover and don't hold metal objects.

sehiser

imported post

Here's one I just googled.
http://www.timesenterprise.com/opinion/local_story_051232516.html?keyword=topstory

I believe this video does make that claim as well. I'll have you notice one of the persons in this video who used their handgun for self-defense lives here in Toledo.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pgNUqtkXTQ8

Here's the story in the Toledo Blade (which has written a number of anti-gun columns)
http://www.toledoblade.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20040511/NEWS03/405110407

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Saying things probably isn't going to help, given what you reported.

I'm thinking there is something deeper. I suspect its going to take a very tactful campaign.

Her reply to why she doesn't approve guns doesn't hold up. Its too shallow. Also, and perhaps the most direct point is that it has nothing to do with guns. Lots of people live in good neighborhoods and have nothing to fear in their daily life, yet they elect to own and/or carry firearms.

I suspectsomething like a friendof hers was injured, killed or suicided with a gun, perhaps well before you came along.Or maybe she was the victim of a crime that involved a gun or threats of use of one. Or maybe when she was a girl she was out with the brothers one time and somebody suckered her into shooting a 12 guage shotgun, or a pistol that was way too powerful for a 12 year old girl and it scared her badly, or the laughter was too stinging. You might even ask your uncles if they know anything. Many parents have a depth of experience in their lives their children know nothing about simply because the parent never related it.

You might try a gentle probing conversation to find out what it is,with LOTS of patience, and NO, ZERO, NONE countering of her statements, and a gentle mild tone.* It may take more than one conversation; in fact it probably will.Just keep removing the layers.Its vitally important that youexpress nocontrary statements or judgements of your own.

It may also be that she just has a hard and set principle against them based on some personal idea not connected to emotional trauma.

You could try asking if she ever personally knew anybody injured by a gun.

Once you get to the bottom of why she is opposed to guns, then you can start working on showing her that they are beneficial. Notice I didn't say showing her how her ideas were wrong. Just showing her how guns are beneficial.

But first you have to get to the real reason so you get her to look at it. Only she can get it out of the way. And she won't do that until she looks squarely at it.

An alternative is to just take her shooting. You'll know better than us whether there is a hope or chance of her agreeing to go along.

"A man convinced against his will is of his former opinion still."

reefteach

imported post

A bad deal can go down anytime, anywhere. The scumbags are out there. They aare waiting for the unsuspecting. The odds are you and your wife will never encounter them. But wouldn't it be better to be armed and ready, than not. A gun at home in a range bag will not do you any good when you have been targeted. After a while, arming up becomes second nature when leaving the house. I see carrying as being like wearing a seatbelt or having a fire extinguisher.I don't think I will need them, but it sure would suck to not have them if I needed them. Here is an eye opening local experience I use to demonstrate my point. It happened in a busy, touristy type area with shopping malls and restaurants nearby.

http://www.wlwt.com/news/14012541/detail.html?rss=cin&psp=news

Pauly

imported post

Citizen wrote:
Saying things probably isn't going to help, given what you reported.

I'm thinking there is something deeper. I suspect its going to take a very tactful campaign.

Her reply to why she doesn't approve guns doesn't hold up. Its too shallow. Also, and perhaps the most direct point is that it has nothing to do with guns. Lots of people live in good neighborhoods and have nothing to fear in their daily life, yet they elect to own and/or carry firearms.

I live in a good neighborhood. I recently discovered that almost ALL of the houses in my neighborhood have guns in them. I wonder if that has anything to do with it.

Sorry to thread jack. I was making an observation.

I don't know if anything you say will convince your mother otherwise. Like someone said already, guns aren't for everyone. My mother owns a gun. She bought it during her divorce. (not from my dad!!) I don't know if she ever practices with it. I doubt she has ever fired it. So, in my opinion she might as well not have it. Even if you get your mother to buy a gun if she doesn't practice it is of no use to her. Just owning a gun doesn't offer enough protection. I know all of you know this so I'll stop typing nonsense.

sehiser

imported post

I wonder how many people in my neighborhood have guns? I'm sure at least 3 since I have 2 LEO's on my street and one guy with a duck hunting boat.

The rest of my neighbors are accountants, doctors and nurses along with 1 retired school teacher and 1 college professor. The college professor from the University of Toledo seems very conservative to me but I haven't flat out asked him his political views.

I know there's a lot of democrats in my neighborhood. No offense to any of you gun toting liberals, I have a couple buddies who are democrats yet own firearms but for the most part liberals are anti-gun.

That's one thing nice about CCW, it allows a person to get to know you in a favorable way before they ever know you own a gun. I think that's one of the best ways to get a positive opinion on a gun. Let somebody get to know you first.

All my neighbors like me. Had all they knew about me was I owned a gun before they got to know me, things might be a little different.

Same thing with Freemasonry. When somebody who knows me finds out I'm a Mason sometimes they'll say "You're a Mason? Isn't that a secret society of bad people? You're not a bad person! I'm confused." Which has happened a few times.

A had a lady once see a Freemasonry pin on my jacket and completely avoid me. Not to different than had it been a gun if she had a negative opinion of guns.

A soft approach can work best.

Pauly

imported post

cilcannonvryce wrote:
Sehiser:

you refer to democrats as if all were liberals. Hmmm??????
Good point. You can't associate liberal with Democrat unless you lump the Republicans in with them. I believe Ohio has a Republican Senator that is anti-2A. (or at least we used to.) Don't we have a pro-2A Governer that is a Democrat? I think we do.

Wynder

State Researcher
imported post

I would tell her, "You're not allowed to come in my place unless you ARE carrying" and keep a nice little .38 or Glock loaner in a holster for her to strap on. :)

cilcannonvryce

imported post

Pauly wrote:
cilcannonvryce wrote:
Sehiser:

Good point. You can't associate liberal with Democrat unless you lump the Republicans in with them. I believe Ohio has a Republican Senator that is anti-2A. (or at least we used to.) Don't we have a pro-2A Governer that is a Democrat? I think we do.
Yeah, conservative or liberal - it does not matter - people always have their own viewpoints. I am sorry that the one that matter are the politicians and the lobbyists.

Deanimator

imported post

Police have neither a duty nor the ability to protect individuals from the threat of immediate violence. Protect yourself or don't get protected at all.

Deanimator

imported post

Pauly wrote:
cilcannonvryce wrote:
Sehiser:

DeWine (McCain's OH campaign manager) was anti-gun. He was replaced by Sherrod Brown, an anti-gun Democrat who's oh so slightly less anti-gun than DeWine was. Voinovich is anti-gun and managed to kill CCW when he was governor. Strickland the governor seems to be reliably pro-gun, unlike that mental defective Taft.