• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Blackhawk CQC SERPA Level 2?

bourneshooter

imported post

It would be a level 2 because it has a retention device. THe regular CQC holster is just a level 1 since it doesn't have a finger saftey mechanism.

UTOC-45-44

imported post

bourneshooter wrote:
It would be a level 2 because it has a retention device. THe regular CQC holster is just a level 1 since it doesn't have a finger saftey mechanism.

bourneshooter, you are RIGHT on the $$$. I fro right now have a Right Strong side Serpa for my Kimber and a Serpa shoulder Holster for my S&W 4006. I OC/CC my Kimber but so far ONLY OC my Shoulder holster. I am getting a Galco Jackass Shoulder Holster for the S&W for CC purposes only. I need to CC at work and sometimes I would like to CC shoulder Holster Vs Hip Carry. Just a change. BUT BELIEVE ME, I will NEVER abandon Serpa Holsters since they are EVEN Cop Safe.

TJ

DreQo

State Researcher
imported post

bourneshooter wrote:

Wrong.

http://www.theppsc.org/Staff_Views/Conway/duty_holster_considerations.htm
Levels of retention

The retention level of the holster refers to the number of retention devices you have to release or move the gun past in order to draw the pistol from the holster:

An example of a level l holster would be a simple thumb-break device that must be unclipped in order to draw the weapon.

A Level ll holster example is one where a thumb-break is released then the pistol must be moved (rocked forward or rearwards) in the holster to clear some form of internal locking device before it can be drawn.

A Level lll holster is one where three separate retaining devices, both internal and external must be undone or bypassed.
http://www.productwizard.com/safarilandholster-retention-levels-explained.html
Safariland Retention Level II
A level two holster is where the user must remove the thumb break and also rock the weapon forward or backwards to unlock the internal mechanism. This type of rocking action provides the user with the ability to remove the weapon easily however thwarts anyone not wearing the holster to remove the weapon.
Friction is NOT a locking mechanism that must be bypassed. A holster that requires nothing more than a vertical pull on the firearm to draw is essentially Retention Level 0, since there is nothing you have to do to draw, other than DRAW. Blackhawk is going against the already established Retention Level System by claiming that the friction caused by their tension screw on the holster is in and of itself a locking mechanism. This is wrong.

Friction holsters do indeed keep the gun from falling out, and so they do retain the firearm in theliteral sense of the term. However, they can not be considered a "Retention Holster" for the purpose of securing the weapon against an attempted gun-grab.

Dahwg

imported post

DreQo wrote:
Friction is NOT a locking mechanism that must be bypassed. A holster that requires nothing more than a vertical pull on the firearm to draw is essentially Retention Level 0, since there is nothing you have to do to draw, other than DRAW. Blackhawk is going against the already established Retention Level System by claiming that the friction caused by their tension screw on the holster is in and of itself a locking mechanism. This is wrong.

Friction holsters do indeed keep the gun from falling out, and so they do retain the firearm in theliteral sense of the term. However, they can not be considered a "Retention Holster" for the purpose of securing the weapon against an attempted gun-grab.

I agree with you for the most part, but it's not a tension screw at all, it's actually got some sort of locking device on the inside like the guy on the video says, "a speed bump". You have to set how hard you need to pull in order to get it to pop out. But I agree- simply drawing the weapon shouldn't make it a "retention holster." By the way, the packaging and even the website says Level II.

http://www.blackhawk.com/product1.asp?P=4105&C=C1387

deepdiver

Campaign Veteran
imported post

I have 0 retention holsters for CC and range use that you can pull the gun from at about any angle, but friction keeps it in place when wearing it. The CQC holsters have a physical block, that is a shape in the kydex, that prevents the gun from falling out and the amount of retention provided by the physical block depends on the tightness of the tension screw. I can hold the holster upside down with the SERPA lever pressed in and shake it every which way and the pistol will not fall out. Furthermore, the pistol can ONLY be drawn straight up. Any angle to it and it will not come out at the tension level I use (and yes I have tested this with friends doing retention drills). I don't see why that wouldn't be level 1 if the same sort of tension/shape retention by Safariland where you have to either move the pistol forward or back and it won't draw in any other position is. Instead of going forward or back to draw and no other position, the CQC requires straight up and no other position for a draw. Still only one draw angle. And it very much meets the Safariland level 1 requirement of retaining the pistol when all other retentions are disabled, and the holster is inverted and shaken. Regardless, I like it and feel secure carrying with them.

DreQo

State Researcher
imported post

Well the "block" is nothing more than a contact point for the friction to take place. See, a true locking mechanism that justifies a retention level is one which, while activated, completely prevents the handgun from being drawn. Any sort of "tension" just makes it more difficult to draw the handgun, but it does not prevent it.

I do realize that the package, website, and everything else falsely represent the retention level. That's why I'm not very happy about it :D. The problem is, it all comes down to the fact that, asfar asI know,the retention levels are not written in a book anywhere as an officialguideline for all holster manufacturers. Rather, it is simply a widely known and understood theory that most people go by.

EDIT TO REPLY TO MOST RECENT POST:

The Safariland designs that require the gun to be rocked in order to draw are physically locked into the holster by a mechanism. If the gun is pulled directly up, it will not come out no matter how much force you apply (until something breaks). It cannot be drawn until the mechanism is unlocked by rocking the weapon rearward. THAT is what constitutes a retention level. Some action must be performed to deactivate the locking mechanism before the weapon can be drawn.

The Safarilandholster I use has an ejection port lock that must be moved with the thumb before drawing. It also has a tension/friction system that allows theholster the be tightened in order to hold the weapon in place whether the ejection port lock is engaged or not. Going by Blackhawk's theory, this would be a Level 2 holster, and would meet the minimum requirement for many law enforcement agencies. Safariland, on the other hand, will tell you right away that it is Level 1, and they would strongly suggest it not be used in a "duty" environment.

UTOC-45-44

imported post

DreQo wrote:
Well the "block" is nothing more than a contact point for the friction to take place. See, a true locking mechanism that justifies a retention level is one which, while activated, completely prevents the handgun from being drawn. Any sort of "tension" just makes it more difficult to draw the handgun, but it does not prevent it.

I do realize that the package, website, and everything else falsely represent the retention level. That's why I'm not very happy about it :D. The problem is, it all comes down to the fact that, asfar asI know,the retention levels are not written in a book anywhere as an officialguideline for all holster manufacturers. Rather, it is simply a widely known and understood theory that most people go by.

EDIT TO REPLY TO MOST RECENT POST:

The Safariland designs that require the gun to be rocked in order to draw are physically locked into the holster by a mechanism. If the gun is pulled directly up, it will not come out no matter how much force you apply (until something breaks). It cannot be drawn until the mechanism is unlocked by rocking the weapon rearward. THAT is what constitutes a retention level. Some action must be performed to deactivate the locking mechanism before the weapon can be drawn.

The Safarilandholster I use has an ejection port lock that must be moved with the thumb before drawing. It also has a tension/friction system that allows theholster the be tightened in order to hold the weapon in place whether the ejection port lock is engaged or not. Going by Blackhawk's theory, this would be a Level 2 holster, and would meet the minimum requirement for many law enforcement agencies. Safariland, on the other hand, will tell you right away that it is Level 1, and they would strongly suggest it not be used in a "duty" environment.

On the Serpa...just retention screw makes it a Level I retention Holster. With the added AUTO LOCK it makes the holster Level II.

TJ

DreQo

State Researcher
imported post

UTOC-45-44 wrote:
On the Serpa...just retention screw makes it a Level I retention Holster. With the added AUTO LOCK it makes the holster Level II.

TJ
Umm no, it doesn't! :banghead: The retention screw does nothing more than make it more difficult to pull the weapon out. It does not lock the weapon in the holster thereby preventing the weapon from being drawn. I don't know how many different ways I can say that.

deepdiver

Campaign Veteran
imported post

DreQo, I do not understand why this issue has become so important to you. In looking into your position I have found reviews of the Level II on both LEO and military based sites and while I have seen explanations on such sites as to why it really is a Level II, I have not seen arguments against it being a Level II except on forums making the "no break" argument. I am not saying my searching has been exhaustive, because it hasn't.

In many people's opinions apparently, including the manufacturer's, the vertical only draw from the CQC and the ability of the holster to retain the pistol when inverted and shaken (with SERPA disengaged if so equipped), meets the condition required for Level I. I am not an expert on the issue and know as much as I have read about retention levels, much of it recently due to this conversation. As a practical matter I'm not sure that having to move the pistol backward and then forward to draw it 1) adds anything to real life retention over the CQC's vertical only draw if tensioned properly or 2) is worth the extra motion even it has a modicum of increased retention in a violent self-defense situation where fast drawing is required. It is not easy to get the angle on a moving opponent to perform that vertical draw, whereas for the wearer, it is second nature to smoothly draw the pistol.

I guess it is like the external manual safety vs the internal safeties argument. I like the passive, internal safeties of my XD and knowing that I don't have to remember to flip, move or push anything to defend my fiancee's or my own life, I just have to grip the pistol normally, and in the meantime it is extremely safe, although perhaps with a very slight higher possibility of an AD than with a locked and loaded 1911 with integrated firing pin lock such as the Kimber Ultra Carry. In a holster I like the natural draw of the Blackhawk CQC SERPA level II and feel secure that I have a good balance between retention safety and combat usefulness, OC or CC.

DreQo

State Researcher
imported post

As a practical matter I'm not sure that having to move the pistol backward and then forward to draw it 1) adds anything to real life retention over the CQC's vertical only draw if tensioned properly or 2) is worth the extra motion even it has a modicum of increased retention in a violent self-defense situation where fast drawing is required.
It's not pulled backwards than forwards, it's rocked backwards then drawn. I don't use this type of holster, mind you. The point is that the gun is completely locked into the holster unless you move it around the locking device, unlike the CQC, where it is NOT locked into the holster, and requires only the force of a normal draw to remove it.
DreQo, I do not understand why this issue has become so important to you. In looking into your position I have found reviews of the Level II on both LEO and military based sites and while I have seen explanations on such sites as to why it really is a Level II, I have not seen arguments against it being a Level II except on forums making the "no break" argument. I am not saying my searching has been exhaustive, because it hasn't.
lol I'm not sure that it is incredibly important to me, honestly. It's a really simple issue here. Any mechanism that prevents the weapon from being drawn until said mechanism is deactivated constitutes a Retention Level. I just don't understand why blackhawk feels that they need to call their holsters something that they're not.

:DI think maybe I'm gonna go tighten down the screws on my holsters to the point where it takes both hands to pull it out. What is that, like retention level 7?:celebrate

swillden

imported post

I'm with DreQo. I really like my CQC Serpa, but according to the definitions that everyone but BlackHawk uses, it is a Level 1 retention holster.

DreQo

State Researcher
imported post

Oh and do keep in mind I have not made a single statement on my opinion of the product itself. It's just simply not what it says it is.

deepdiver

Campaign Veteran
imported post

DreQo wrote:
:DI think maybe I'm gonna go tighten down the screws on my holsters to the point where it takes both hands to pull it out. What is that, like retention level 7?:celebrate
LMAO.

Actually that does make a helluva point that about how pointless it is to worry about this, though. If you did that, you would still have a level X holster, even though there is no realistic or practical way to draw the weapon and it's functionality becomes zero because it retains so very well. Regardless of how the experts want to define retention levels, my primary holsters are still called Blackhawk CQC SERPA Level II holsters. Just like the old Ford 302s were called 5.0s, even though they were 4.9s, it is what they are known by and how they are referred to regardless of technical accuracy. I think this is really is a fine point and technicality, one which many experts have not raised which leads me to believe that there would be a disupte as to the accuracy of the stated retention level on both sides.

Dahwg

imported post

Bah!:cuss:Maybe I got a lemmon, but suddenly my "Level II" Serpa is Level 0! It is only sometimes retaining the weapon (either with the passive "speedbump" or the actual release lever).Juststarted last night.GRRRR!

deepdiver

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Dahwg wrote:
Bah!:cuss:Maybe I got a lemmon, but suddenly my "Level II" Serpa is Level 0! It is only sometimes retaining the weapon (either with the passive "speedbump" or the actual release lever).Juststarted last night.GRRRR!
Try contacting Blackhawk. Lots of people have had great results with warranty issues.

Dahwg

imported post

deepdiver wrote:
Dahwg wrote:
Try contacting Blackhawk. Lots of people have had great results with warranty issues.
Actually I already did. The lady on the phone was great, sent it out via UPS today, they will ship me a new one as soon as they get this one- no questions, no proof of when I purchased it - nothing. That's great customer service!

DreQo

State Researcher
imported post

deepdiver wrote:
Glad to hear that. Such stories make me feel even better about my choice to go with the Blackhawk platforms for my primary carry.
A story about a holster failing without explanation makes you feel better about choosing that product? :?

Dahwg

imported post

DreQo wrote:
deepdiver wrote:
Glad to hear that. Such stories make me feel even better about my choice to go with the Blackhawk platforms for my primary carry.
A story about a holster failing without explanation makes you feel better about choosing that product? :?
I usually give a company one shot at making things right- second failure = loss of business. We'll see- I hope they get it right because the Galco Matrix I'm using is not nearly as comfortable as the Blackhawk was. :(

hirundo82

imported post

Schofield wrote:
Are the ones on http://www.botachtactical.com/ the real and full SERPA at BlackHawk CQC SERPA Holster - Active Retention - Matte Finish ? I've seen them mentioned a few times before but I'm wary considering they're selling them for $33 and the official site has them for $50+... I know there's manufacturer markup but that's quite a bit.

Botach usually has the lowest prices at the cost of virtually no customer service. I've had bad experiences with them in the past and will not purchase from them; it may cost a few dollars more, but there are better companies out there that I know and trust.

To show that it is not just me who has had problems with Botach, here is their page from the Better Business Bureau. There have been 234 complaints about them to the BB in the last 36 months. In contrast, Impact Guns, mentioned earlier in the thread, has had 10 complaints in the same time period, and Cheaper than Dirt, from which I recently purchased a CQC Serpa, has had 16 complaints.

So definitely shop around, and never pay MSRP, but be aware who you are purchasing from.