• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

School Zone Map?

GJD

imported post

I'm wondering if there is such thing as a WI school zone map where one could narrow in on a certain location to see where it would be legal to carry. I thought that I read something about that before, but I'm not sure.

Decoligny

imported post

GJD wrote:
I'm wondering if there is such thing as a WI school zone map where one could narrow in on a certain location to see where it would be legal to carry. I thought that I read something about that before, but I'm not sure.

I know Google Earth will flag schools if you hit the right setting. Then it's easy to use the measuring function to figure out the 1000 feet. I do this in California because it's a felony for me to carry within 1000 feet of school property. I usually just remember what streets in my area are further than 1000 feet and play it safe with the extra distance.

California law is written that if I carry into what I know, or should know, is a school zone, I am screwed. This is good if you are traveling in an area you are unfamiliar with because you can probably convince a cop (or jury) that you didn't "knowingly" do it.

Lammie

Campaign Veteran
imported post

The Brief 00-11 referred to ( i.e. CARRYING FIREARMS IN PUBLIC ) was written in year 2000. Eight years ago. Also written three years before the pivitable Hamdan case. It was written in response to the failed Personal Protection Act. It is a brief not law or a judicial opinion.

Since 2000 there have been a number of Suopreme Court Cases that have addressed "Disorderly Conduct" and what conditions define it. Of most significance is the statement made by State prosecutor Kassell during oral argument in the Hamdan case. When specifically asked the question concerning open carry and disorderly conduct Kassell replied that in his opinion he would find a charge of disorderly conduct for openly carrying a firearm in public to be unconstitutional. It is also interesting to note that Doyle was a member of the prosecuting team.

The Wisconsin School Zone ordinance is 948.605.
"School" is defined in 948.61(1)(b). It reads
"School" means a public, parochial, or private school which provides an educational program for one or more grades between grades 1 and 12 ------

The definition of school does not apply to colleges, universities, trade schools, or even to facilities that provide education only to pre-school or kindergarten. There is some question if State colleges and Universities are considered goverment property owned or leased by the State so some caution is order there.

Note: the word "provides" implies it is an active school not one that is no longer used for education.

It should also be noted that carry is not prohibited on private property within the "school zone".

It is also not prohibited in the school zone if it is unloaded and encased.

ref. 948.605(2)(b)(1) and 948.605 (2)(b)(3)(a).

What I do to determine the area of a school zone is obtain a city or county map. Find the address location of the schools from a phone book or city/county directory. Set a compass (the device used to make a circle) to the scale shown on the map. (For example if the map would say "scale 1 inch equals 500 feet" I set the compass so it makes a 4 inch circle). I then place the pointer on the school location and draw a 4 inch circle around it. I usually add some "wiggle" room to be safe. I then know that any public property within that circle is off limits. I don't carry the map with me or in my vehicle because that is hard evidence that I know where the school zones are.

Shotgun

Wisconsin Carry, Inc.
imported post

I do not believe that a church or daycare meet the definition of "school" ---

948.61(1)(b) "School" means a public, parochial or private school which provides an educational program for one or more grades between grades 1 and 12 and which is commonly known as an elementary school, middle school, junior high school, senior high school or high school.

I don't see how anyone can logically interpret this to mean a church or daycare. Let's not invent restrictions that don't exist. The real ones are enough!

Decoligny

imported post

Shotgun wrote:
I do not believe that a church or daycare meet the definition of "school" ---

948.61(1)(b) "School" means a public, parochial or private school which provides an educational program for one or more grades between grades 1 and 12 and which is commonly known as an elementary school, middle school, junior high school, senior high school or high school.

I don't see how anyone can logically interpret this to mean a church or daycare. Let's not invent restrictions that don't exist. The real ones are enough!

Parochial School - A school supported by a church parish.

Lots of churches nowadays have small schools in them. Sometimes the classes are held in rooms that are actually part of the church itself.

Therefore if a particular cop happens to know that a particular church has a school, you could end up being detained/arrested.

You may be okay when you get to court, because of the "commonly known as an elementary school..." section, but youmay still end up taking the ride downtown.

Back in my hometown we had St Patrick's church. Housed in the basement of the church and in one other building was "St Patrick's Elementary School"

Shotgun

Wisconsin Carry, Inc.
imported post

Decoligny wrote:
Parochial School - A school supported by a church parish.

Lots of churches nowadays have small schools in them. Sometimes the classes are held in rooms that are actually part of the church itself.

Therefore if a particular cop happens to know that a particular church has a school, you could end up being detained/arrested.

You may be okay when you get to court, because of the "commonly known as an elementary school..." section, but youmay still end up taking the ride downtown.

Back in my hometown we had St Patrick's church. Housed in the basement of the church and in one other building was "St Patrick's Elementary School"

You miss the point. Not all churches have schools associated with them, hidden or otherwise. There is NO restriction regarding firearms near or in a church in Wisconsin. Schools are different, yes, but it was claimed above that "school zone" includes churches and daycares. Clearly it does not include either one.

As far as the possibility that a church might have a little school in the basement, remember what the statute says: 948.605(2)(a) "Any individual who knowingly possesses a firearm at a place that the individual knows, or has reasonable cause to believe, is a school zone is guilty of a Class I felony." The prosecution would have to prove beyond a reasonable doubt that the person KNEW or had reasonable cause to believe there was a school in the basement. Are there school crossing signs or other indicators? No? Case closed. If a church has a school, then the school zone is created by virtue of there being a school, not because of the church!

School zone does not include a church or day care.

Pointman

imported post

Shotgun wrote:
....The prosecution would have to prove beyond a reasonable doubt that the person KNEW or had reasonable cause to believe there was a school in the basement....
The examples of Dan and Lammie being charged show the prosecution may not get a conviction.

Shotgun

Wisconsin Carry, Inc.
imported post

There's no way you can be sure you won't be wrongly charged for something. I wouldn't particularly worry about that. It's the conviction for a charge that you most want to avoid. Wrongful charge or arrest? So what? Sue them if you want.

apjonas

imported post

If you continue on to read about “elements of a crime,” you will see that it is the burden of the prosecution to prove each element of the crime beyond a reasonable doubt. I would suggest the elements involved here are as follows:

948.605 Gun−free school zones. (1) DEFINITIONS. In this[/b]

section:[/b]

(a) “Encased” has the meaning given in s. 167.31 (1) (b).[/b]

(ac) “Firearm” does not include any beebee or pellet−firing[/b]

gun that expels a projectile through the force of air pressure or any[/b]

starter pistol.[/b]

(am) “Motor vehicle” has the meaning given in s. 340.01 (35).[/b]

(b) “School” has the meaning given in s. 948.61 (1) (b).[/b]

(c) “School zone” means any of the following:[/b]

1. In or on the grounds of a school.[/b]

2. Within 1,000 feet from the grounds of a school.[/b]

(2) POSSESSION OF FIREARM IN SCHOOL ZONE.[/b]

(a) Any individual who knowingly possesses a firearm[/b][/b]

[/b]

Element 1. If you do not know that you possess a firearm because you forgot about it or never knew it was there in the first place or didn’t believe it was a firearm, this element fails.

[/b]

at a place that the individual knows, or has reasonable cause to believe, is a school zone[/b]

[/b]

Element 2. If you do not know or could not be reasonably expected to know you are in a school zone, this element fails.

[/b]

is guilty of a Class I felony.[/b]

[/b]

(b) Paragraph (a) does not apply to the possession of a firearm:[/b]

...[/b]

3. That is not loaded and is:[/b]

a. Encased; or[/b]

b. In a locked firearms rack that is on a motor vehicle;[/b]

[/b]

However, you are still subject to charge of carrying a concealed weapon (941.23) and prosecution under the federal law which does not have an exception that is as extensive.

Lastly, parochial school does not equal Sunday School, Hebrew school or daycare

948.61 Dangerous weapons other than firearms on

school premises. (1) In this section:

(b) “School” means a public, parochial or private school which

provides an educational program for one or more grades between

grades 1 and 12 and which is commonly known as an elementary

school, middle school, junior high school, senior high school or

high school.

(c) “School premises” means any school building, grounds,

recreation area or athletic field or any other property owned, used

or operated for school administration.

[size=][/size]

apjonas

imported post

And for those who want to measure gun-free zones, remember it is X feet from any point of the zone - not the center. The GFSZ outline should look like the outline of the zone - only larger. If your zone is a circle - you are wrong.

Shotgun

Wisconsin Carry, Inc.
imported post

apjonas wrote:
And for those who want to measure gun-free zones, remember it is X feet from any point of the zone - not the center. The GFSZ outline should look like the outline of the zone - only larger. If your zone is a circle - you are wrong.
What I've proposed elsewhere is that one visit schools in your vicinity with a GPS and walk the perimeter of the school grounds saving a waypoint at each corner and the midpoint between corners. That way, as long as you approach no closer than 1000' of any of those waypoints, you will not enter the "school zone."

GJD

imported post

I'm going to try with Google earth and a GPS. It sucks that I cant go out for a walk from my home while OC'ing. When will they understand that I'm not a threat to school children while walking away from the school while armed?

lockman

State Researcher
imported post

In light of the WI supreme court decision on open/concealed carry and the recent trial courts ruling unconstitutional a concealed carry prohibition, I believe a draft of legislation striking this 1000' rule or modifing it in such a way as to apply only to unlawful weapons or uses.

Testing this through the courts is a last resort unless it can be done without an arrest.

smithman

imported post

I also belive this 1000' limitation will someday be eliminated/modified, as well as the prohibition on loaded gun car carry. You have the right to keep and bear arms while on foot but your right is infringed while in your car.

pkbites

imported post

It's a ridiculously strict law. It doesn't even exempt off duty cops:

Is a law enforcement officer acting in the discharge of his or her official duties.

I had a communication with WisconsinsAssistant Attorney General Dave Perlman and he stated that an off duty police officer who had hisfirearm on himwhile in a school zone would indeed be committing a felony.

If even the police aren't trusted with guns in this situation, what chance do other law abiding citizens have?

This state is so stupid!:cuss:

Lammie

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Technically that is saying that if an off duty officer, trained to come to peoples assistance, is walking down the street just outside a school zone and observes a crime being committed within a school zone. The officer must remove his/her firearm before entering the school zone, in order to assist, or risk a charge of a career ending felony. How utterly stupid is that? Another case of politicians putting laws into effect before they put their brains in gear.

Of course the issue on whether or not the crime is being comitted on public property or private property comes into play, which means the officer must have a plat book with him so he/she can make that determination before he can use his/her firearm to help the person(s) in trouble.

Does this sound facetious? Maybe, but what police officer is going to put their career on the line on the chance that it isn't facetious? Stupid things happen in DA offices and the courts. Even the State Supreme Court screws up.

It's time some of the monkeys get shook out of the tree. In my opionion we need two things. A voter's rebellion and term limits on all political offices. Unfortunately the chance of either of those happening is as likely as hearing a whisper in a hurricane.

Lammie

Campaign Veteran
imported post

PKBites:

Another conundrum concerning school zones. It would be interesting to ask Mr. Perlman for his definition of private property within the 1000ft boundary of a school zone. The streets out front of private property is considered public property because the goverment has "right of way" and is responsible for maintenance. But, what about sidewalks? Are sidewalks considered private property or public property. The property owner is responsible for the maintenance of the sidewalk in front of their property. The property owner is also liable for any injuries on the sidewalk. So does that make the sidewalk private property or is it public property because the public has free use of it. Or is it considered not public property but public space. Public space is private property which is in general use by the public. i.e. shopping malls. department stores etc.

The definitions of public space versus public property versus private property is very important in the case of the school zone statute. The firearm restrictions within a school zone don't apply if you are within the 1000ft boundary and are on private property. If a person with a firearm steps out of his house onto the sidewalk is he now guilty of a felony or is he exempt from penalty because he is still on private property. The state statutes have no clear definition.