Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: "How scary is Open Carry" on thehighroad

Post imported post

If your on thehighroad.org, join in the debate. I just browze occasionally over there and though that some of you guys who are on it should pitch in to help support our cause.

http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=252431

Post imported post

It's much easier to just do this.
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants." - Thomas Jefferson

Founder's Club Member - Moderator longwatch's Avatar

Post imported post

Lets be careful not start a cross forum fight, we should politely state our case, but everyone going over there to pile on might not be productive.

Post imported post

Many are Rabidly Against OC over there, never been able to figure out why.

Post imported post

I would respectfully submit that open carry calls for greater intestinal fortitude than does concealed carry.

A person carrying concealed will not encounter a scared citizen or a curious cop as will a person open carrying.

Perhaps the reason lies therein?

(That better, LW?)

Post imported post

I tried to have mature open v. concealed carry conversations at thehighroad. Rather unpleasant at times. I was accused of being an a-hole that would screw up concealed carry for everyone. Very much like some of the comments I get here when we talk about long gun open carry. The difference is that here the evil ones (such as JAGWAG) are put in their place and real discussions are possible.
    He wore his gun outside his pants for all the honest world to see. Pancho & Lefty

The millions of people, armed in the holy cause of liberty, and in such a country as that which we possess, are invincible by any force which our enemy can send against us....There is no retreat but in submission and slavery! ...The war is inevitable–and let it come! I repeat it, Sir, let it come …………. PATRICK HENRY speech 1776

Post imported post

I for one believe in the WHOLE2nd amendment, not just the part that says, "to keep". :shock:

Maybe they think the way they do for tactical advantage and so forth, but to be outright against the open carriage of arms, at leastto me, is to be against one of the originalideas behind the 2nd amendment.

I say flaunt your freedoms. Help desensitize the masses to the concepts of personal protection and home defense.

Peace through superior firepower

Luke 11:21
    "When a strong man, fully armed, guards his own house, his possessions are undisturbed.

Post imported post

Looking a bit like PAFOA... :?

Unfortunately, outside of OCDO, some (if not most) gun owners want to do everything possible to appease Big Brother so that they can be granted the priviledge by the Government to keep a firearm, but only if that's OK with Big Brother. A subcategory of these are avid supporters of the 2nd and a half amendment, the Right to Hunt, who want to make sure that people can't own "assault weapons" or carry handguns, so long as they themselves can hunt with bolt-action rifles with 3-round magazines.

Post imported post

I've said it before and I think it bears repeating.

I often get the feeling that many people who only CC do so because it "allows" them to go about their day always in "condition white". They don't think they have to be careful or alert because they have a gun if anything did happen.

They don't realize that they could be putting themselves in more danger than being unarmed because they are more likely to find themselves in a situation where there is no time to make a decision - which would quite probably push them to a bad decision.

Being aware is more important than being armed.

Most people who both CC and OC can clearly tell the difference in awareness and care we take in OC'ing. You know you can't be careless because everybody can see you are armed - and you are well aware of it.

Post imported post

Basic Guy wrote:

I often get the feeling that many people who only CC do so because it "allows" them to go about their day always in "condition white". They don't think they have to be careful or alert because they have a gun if anything did happen.

They don't realize that they could be putting themselves in more danger than being unarmed because they are more likely to find themselves in a situation where there is no time to make a decision - which would quite probably push them to a bad decision.

Most people who both CC and OC can clearly tell the difference in awareness and care we take in OC'ing. You know you can't be careless because everybody can see you are armed - and you are well aware of it.
    +100

I think I've read arguments from die-hard CCers where they explicitly said they CC because OC requires too much situational awareness. Sad... very sad.

Post imported post

I just read the six pages of posts and almost all of them where in favor of OC. It seems to me that OC is becoming more accepted. Its quite a contrast to Northeastshooters.com. If someone mentions it on there everyone jumpsall over them.

Post imported post

I posted a reply on there. My first one LOL.

That website dosen't seem to be too bad about OC. We have a guy over on xdtalk that is VERY against OC and goes as far as to call it "stupid". He's a police officer in AK. He's on Glocktalk also and makes some of the same comments about OC.

Post imported post

Cops don’t like open carry. I think it’s about ‘exclusivity’ more than anything else. They don’t like that people that drive their old Crown Vics either for the same reason. I figure they need something to make them feel special, a little power and ego boost, so they get mad when the mere peasants carry openly.

Post imported post

In my opinion, THR is a sissified forum with way too much undue censorship. It's really a place for newbies who need to be "broken in" to the firearms world, and those who are overly sensitive or have a strong stomach for sophmoric discussions. Given the type of forum that it is, I find it totally unsurprizing that ignorance to OC prevails there.

I'm not trying to insult those who post there, to each their own and all that, just voicing my opinions concerning why I feel THR is the way it is.

Answer every question about open carry in Michigan you ever had with one convenient and free book- http://libertyisforeveryone.com/open-carry-resources/

The complete and utter truth can be challenged from every direction and it will always hold up. Accordingly there are few greater displays of illegitimacy than to attempt to impede free thought and communication.

Post imported post

Basic Guy wrote:

+1

Quite Likely, or at the very least it may be something Similar.

Either way i've been slowly getting fed up with some of what goes on at THR, even though it's still a useful site I am considering leaving.

Post imported post

Interesting thoughts as to situational awareness. I find no difference in my thoughts or behavior regardless of which one I am doing, at least nothing conscious. A threat is a threat regardless of how I am carrying. Actually, I may be slightly more aware when CC because I'm conscious of the additional time it is going to take me to draw from concealment so I want that split second extra warning. Hhhmmmm....
    Bob Owens @ Bearing Arms (paraphrased): "These people aren't against violence; they're very much in favor of violence. They're against armed resistance."

Founder's Club Member

Post imported post

Michigander wrote:
    In my opinion, THR is a sissified forum with way too much undue censorship. It's really a place for newbies who need to be "broken in" to the firearms world, and those who are overly sensitive or have a strong stomach for sophmoric discussions. Given the type of forum that it is, I find it totally unsurprizing that ignorance to OC prevails there.

I'm not trying to insult those who post there, to each their own and all that, just voicing my opinions concerning why I feel THR is the way it is.
    +10000000000

My posts that remain there speak for themselves.

Founder's Club Member

Post imported post

Michigander wrote:
    SNIP In my opinion, THR is a sissified forum with way too much undue censorship.
    I got a differentimpression from reading the forum rules.

Its a bit of a challenge to rise above being argumentative,using crude language, and remain polite, civil, and even graceful.

I know if an opinionated, cranky, short-fuzed, knuckle-head like myself can do it, so can most everybody else.

As the old saying goes, "A man convinced against his will is of his former opinion still."

Another favorite was one I read a little while back where a columnist in a newspaper said his dad's comment was, "Don't raise your voice. Improve your argument."

I'll make you an offer: I will argue and fight for all of your rights, if you will do the same for me. That is the only way freedom can work. We have to respect all rights, all the time--and strive to win the rights of the other guy as much as for ourselves.

If I am equal to another, how can I legitimately govern him without his express individual consent?

There is no human being on earth I hate so much I would actually vote to inflict government upon him.

Post imported post

Citizen wrote:
    Michigander wrote:
    SNIP In my opinion, THR is a sissified forum with way too much undue censorship.
    I got a differentimpression from reading the forum rules.

Its a bit of a challenge to rise above being argumentative,using crude language, and remain polite, civil, and even graceful.
    Although you make a good point, It is Obvious you have yet to encounter the "Pet Trolls" that several of the staff have and use to bait any user who has a differing opinion from theirs into any excuse to ban them.

It is also Obvious you have yet to notice the Absurd amount of In-Fighting and outright Backstabbing that occurs and is excused/ignored far to often.
    (Makes all Gun Owners look incredibly bad from my viewpoint)

I'm in no way trying to start a Forum war, I am simply pointing out things that it sometimes takes a while of frequenting that site to notice.
    Keep an eye peeled an you will notice them to.

Post imported post

Being as my brother and my friend are both administrators on rather large forums, I can say with certainty the pet troll type users that are actually moderators are very common to forums. I would tend to doubt they have any here, people here are too unified and polite.
    Answer every question about open carry in Michigan you ever had with one convenient and free book- http://libertyisforeveryone.com/open-carry-resources/

The complete and utter truth can be challenged from every direction and it will always hold up. Accordingly there are few greater displays of illegitimacy than to attempt to impede free thought and communication.

Post imported post

Michigander wrote:
    Being as my brother and my friend are both administrators on rather large forums, I can say with certainty the pet troll type users that are actually moderators are very common to forums. I would tend to doubt they have any here, people here are too unified and polite.
    +1

Founder's Club Member

Post imported post

Eagleeye wrote:
    SNIP Although you make a good point, It is Obvious you have yet to encounter the "Pet Trolls" that several of the staff have and use to bait any user who has a differing opinion from theirs into any excuse to ban them.
    Got it. Thanks for the warning.
    I'll make you an offer: I will argue and fight for all of your rights, if you will do the same for me. That is the only way freedom can work. We have to respect all rights, all the time--and strive to win the rights of the other guy as much as for ourselves.

If I am equal to another, how can I legitimately govern him without his express individual consent?

There is no human being on earth I hate so much I would actually vote to inflict government upon him.

Post imported post

Citizen wrote:
    Eagleeye wrote:
    SNIP Although you make a good point, It is Obvious you have yet to encounter the "Pet Trolls" that several of the staff have and use to bait any user who has a differing opinion from theirs into any excuse to ban them.
    Got it. Thanks for the warning.
    Anytime, Can't stand seeing good people fall into that trap of theirs.

I often wonder if they have some plants from the VPC or Brady bunch within the staff there...

Founder's Club Member

Post imported post

Eagleeye wrote:
    Many are Rabidly Against OC over there, never been able to figure out why.
    Many of them are just rabid.

Post imported post

Although you make a good point, It is Obvious you have yet to encounter the "Pet Trolls" that several of the staff have and use to bait any user who has a differing opinion from theirs into any excuse to ban them.

I'm in no way trying to start a Forum war, I am simply pointing out things that it sometimes takes a while of frequenting that site to notice.
    Oh? And how long have you been over on THR? As we all know that this is simply an opinion, please tell us who, exactly, is a pet troll over there?

It is also Obvious you have yet to notice the Absurd amount of In-Fighting and outright Backstabbing that occurs and is excused/ignored far to often.
    (Makes all Gun Owners look incredibly bad from my viewpoint)
    Uh huh. Since I've been on THR for close to two years and I don't get that impression, can you come up with some examples?

Hey, if y'all think that THR is for pussies and this forum allows you to say anything you want and you're all the happier for it, great! I sincerely wish you well.

As far as I'm concerned, THR has a much higher signal/noise ratio than any other board I've been on with regards to firearms, even ones I've never joined but only read. Including OCDO. I come to OCDO for different reasons and I will agree with most in this thread that OCers are looked upon with some suspicion and hostility from THR members. Nonetheless, I see value in both boards and I would rarely, if ever, bash other boards for not liking the atmosphere there. I simply go away.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast