• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

"How scary is Open Carry" on thehighroad

Eagleeye

imported post

Michigander wrote:
Being as my brother and my friend are both administrators on rather large forums, I can say with certainty the pet troll type users that are actually moderators are very common to forums. I would tend to doubt they have any here, people here are too unified and polite.:)
+1

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Eagleeye wrote:
SNIP Although you make a good point, It is Obvious you have yet to encounter the "Pet Trolls" that several of the staff have and use to bait any user who has a differing opinion from theirs into any excuse to ban them.
Got it. Thanks for the warning.

Eagleeye

imported post

Citizen wrote:
Eagleeye wrote:
SNIP Although you make a good point, It is Obvious you have yet to encounter the "Pet Trolls" that several of the staff have and use to bait any user who has a differing opinion from theirs into any excuse to ban them.
Got it. Thanks for the warning.
Anytime, Can't stand seeing good people fall into that trap of theirs.

I often wonder if they have some plants from the VPC or Brady bunch within the staff there...

Sage of Seattle

imported post

Although you make a good point, It is Obvious you have yet to encounter the "Pet Trolls" that several of the staff have and use to bait any user who has a differing opinion from theirs into any excuse to ban them.

I'm in no way trying to start a Forum war, I am simply pointing out things that it sometimes takes a while of frequenting that site to notice.

Oh? And how long have you been over on THR? As we all know that this is simply an opinion, please tell us who, exactly, is a pet troll over there?

It is also Obvious you have yet to notice the Absurd amount of In-Fighting and outright Backstabbing that occurs and is excused/ignored far to often.
(Makes all Gun Owners look incredibly bad from my viewpoint)

Uh huh. Since I've been on THR for close to two years and I don't get that impression, can you come up with some examples?

Hey, if y'all think that THR is for pussies and this forum allows you to say anything you want and you're all the happier for it, great! I sincerely wish you well.

As far as I'm concerned, THR has a much higher signal/noise ratio than any other board I've been on with regards to firearms, even ones I've never joined but only read. Including OCDO. I come to OCDO for different reasons and I will agree with most in this thread that OCers are looked upon with some suspicion and hostility from THR members. Nonetheless, I see value in both boards and I would rarely, if ever, bash other boards for not liking the atmosphere there. I simply go away.

Michigander

imported post

Sage of Seattle wrote:
Nonetheless, I see value in both boards and I would rarely, if ever, bash other boards for not liking the atmosphere there. I simply go away.

I don't think anyone is intentionally trying to bash THR. As I said, to each his or her own. I am not looking for a forum war, and I don't think anyone else is. Many here like myself are former THR users, and we did indeed just go away after we lost interest.

massltca

imported post

jeepinbanditrider wrote:
I posted a reply on there. My first one LOL.

That website dosen't seem to be too bad about OC. We have a guy over on xdtalk that is VERY against OC and goes as far as to call it "stupid". He's a police officer in AK. He's on Glocktalk also and makes some of the same comments about OC.
A cop in Alaska thinks OC is stupid? I'd expect that from a New Jersey or Massachusetts cop ,but not Alaska. :what:

Eagleeye

imported post

Sage of Seattle wrote:
Oh? And how long have you been over on THR?
Since 2003

As we all know that this is simply an opinion, please tell us who, exactly, is a pet troll over there?
I would prefer to not name names and avoid possibility's of a forum war.
(I may consider naming one, but ONLY via Private Message so that it can't come back to bite OC.org)

Like i've said I don't want to, nor am I trying to start something, I'm only saying to be on the alert on THR.

Eagleeye

imported post

Michigander wrote:
Sage of Seattle wrote:
Nonetheless, I see value in both boards and I would rarely, if ever, bash other boards for not liking the atmosphere there. I simply go away.

I don't think anyone is intentionally trying to bash THR. As I said, to each his or her own. I am not looking for a forum war, and I don't think anyone else is. Many here like myself are former THR users, and we did indeed just go away after we lost interest.
+1

Sage of Seattle

imported post

Okay, eagleeye, massaltca, I stand corrected, thank you for your responses, I'm not trying to start anything either, I just got a little ticked off.

I am genuinely curious about who's a troll on THR, however, so PM me if you'd like.

Eagleeye

imported post

No problem Sage, misunderstandings happen.

and speaking of Trolls, looks like the Anti-OC Trolls have found that other topic. Seriously, people like that make the entire gun community look look incredibly childish. :banghead:

Sage of Seattle

imported post

Thanks, eagleeye. Since we both live in the same area, I'd sure hate to "bump scabbards" in the street! :p

By the way, we're still trying to get a regular monthly/whatever meeting going, so if you're interested, drop on by.

Eagleeye

imported post

Thanks, But i'm broke as broke gets and trying to find a new job at the moment.
(insane hour cutback at previous job):banghead:

Might give it a try after I get a new job though.

schizrade

imported post

THR is a place where open opinions are not wanted. I stopped going there a while back because of this. There is the good old boy mentality there where Sean Hannity is god and "Conservative" is a religion.

Eagleeye

imported post

Sad but true, seems like Commiefornia/NYC Cops & Fudds are taking over THR.

I hope Oleg eventually notices and tries to get things back under control, but i'm not to hopeful.

Lately any Mention of Cops there Automatically = Cop Bashing
And any Mention of Full-Auto gets Rationalized/thrown under the bus by someone with the "Can't hunt Dear with Full Auto" Mentality....

Makes you want to :banghead: quite often.

schizrade

imported post

Exactly why I stopped going there. There is better discourse at ARFCOM than there.

imperialism2024

imported post

Eagleeye wrote:

I hope Oleg eventually notices and tries to get things back under control, but i'm not to hopeful.

And any Mention of Full-Auto gets Rationalized/thrown under the bus by someone with the "Can't hunt Dear with Full Auto" Mentality....

Well, I mean, you can hunt deer with full-auto, and it's probably a lot more fun that way... :uhoh:

deepdiver

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Eagleeye wrote:

I've checked it out and didn't feel very homey to me. But then while I like certain conservative talk radio hosts, I find Hannity pretty annoying so that may explain that. I didn't see any signs it was going to head a different direction in the near future.

"Can't hunt Dear with Full Auto" - I can see it now. Zombies come and one of those guys is sitting in a clearing with a fully auto AK47 on his lap, slowly starving to death as a large healthy buck walks out into the clearing 20 yards from him and he looks at the deer, looks down at his rifle and says, "Damn! If this rifle were semi-auto me and my family could eat today." :banghead:

I think what they mean to say is that we, the People, have so capitulated our rights to the imperial federal government and other governmental units, that a man isn't even allowed to hunt for food and sport with his humane weapon of choice.

schizrade

imported post

deepdiver wrote:
Eagleeye wrote:

I've checked it out and didn't feel very homey to me. But then while I like certain conservative talk radio hosts, I find Hannity pretty annoying so that may explain that. I didn't see any signs it was going to head a different direction in the near future.

"Can't hunt Dear with Full Auto" - I can see it now. Zombies come and one of those guys is sitting in a clearing with a fully auto AK47 on his lap, slowly starving to death as a large healthy buck walks out into the clearing 20 yards from him and he looks at the deer, looks down at his rifle and says, "Damn! If this rifle were semi-auto me and my family could eat today." :banghead:

I think what they mean to say is that we, the People, have so capitulated our rights to the imperial federal government and other governmental units, that a man isn't even allowed to hunt for food and sport with his humane weapon of choice.
Like I said. Very closed group. I hunt small game with an AR. I wish it was FA.