• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

I refused to provide "proof of residence" to Fairfax County Cir. Ct. - CHP received on tim

Mike

Site Co-Founder
imported post

The Circuit Court will end this policy - like water against the rocks, the rocks will eventually give way.

And if anyone gets denied, or day 45 passes and no de facto permit is "sent to you," contact me ASAP.

paramedic70002

imported post

Maybe I missed something here. The first sentence of the CHP section of 18.2-308 states:

D. Any person 21 years of age or older may apply in writing to the clerk of the circuit court of the county or city in which he resides, or if he is a member of the United States Armed Forces, the county or city in which he is domiciled, for a five-year permit to carry a concealed handgun.

So you are saying that they can't ask for proof that you are complying with the law?

Is there some sort of precedent for this?

Don't get me wrong, I'm not being argumentative. I really want to know, as I may be compelled by family illness to move to a jurisdiction where the chief law enforcement officer is hostile to me, and has previously blocked my application with a "dangerous peson" letter. Had to move away and wait five years to get my CHP, and I don't want him blocking my renewal.

Mike

Site Co-Founder
imported post

paramedic70002 wrote:
I may be compelled by family illness to move to a jurisdiction where the chief law enforcement officer is hostile to me, and has previously blocked my application with a "dangerous peson" letter. Had to move away and wait five years to get my CHP, and I don't want him blocking my renewal.
18.2-308 was amended to make it harder to to be "blocked" - now requires personal knowledge.

In any event, get a mail order permit from PA or FL now to cover you even if you are denied in next jurisdiction.

apocryph

imported post

paramedic70002 wrote:
Maybe I missed something here. The first sentence of the CHP section of 18.2-308 states:

D. Any person 21 years of age or older may apply in writing to the clerk of the circuit court of the county or city in which he resides, or if he is a member of the United States Armed Forces, the county or city in which he is domiciled, for a five-year permit to carry a concealed handgun.

So you are saying that they can't ask for proof that you are complying with the law?

Is there some sort of precedent for this?

Don't get me wrong, I'm not being argumentative. I really want to know, as I may be compelled by family illness to move to a jurisdiction where the chief law enforcement officer is hostile to me, and has previously blocked my application with a "dangerous peson" letter. Had to move away and wait five years to get my CHP, and I don't want him blocking my renewal.
I fought this with Fairfax County in the past and ended up engaging an attorney before I actually got my permit.

You are already required to affirm you are in compliance with the law. The form includes fields for your address of residence, and you sign the form under penalty of perjury, in effect swearing you are a resident of the county where your residence lies.
In most cases (and certainly in mine) your VA driver's license reflects this address, which is further proof. A piece of paper that looks like a utility bill or a lease or a letter from your mother is no more proof than this, and constitutes a requirement beyond those set forth in the VSP form, which is in clear conflict with VA statutes.

This is only more egregious after July 2007, when the new law took effect explicitly stating that there was no minimum number of days one must live in the county before being eligible for the CHP, so the demand for a utility bill or some such document would also run afoul of this new language.

Paragon

imported post

So to clarify on this a little, I just purchased a home in Spotsylvania county, and will be moving in Friday. Are you saying that I can go on Saturday and apply for a permit? It seems a bit strange to me that I would be able to do such, when the only proof of residency I would have would be the paperwork for purchasing my house.

roscoe13

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Paragon wrote:
So to clarify on this a little, I just purchased a home in Spotsylvania county, and will be moving in Friday. Are you saying that I can go on Saturday and apply for a permit? It seems a bit strange to me that I would be able to do such, when the only proof of residency I would have would be the paperwork for purchasing my house.
There is NO requirement to provide ANY proof of residence.

BTW, I doubt the clerk's office would be open on a Saturday ;)

apocryph

imported post

Under VA law that's correct. You have to sign a form indicating your residential address, under penalty of perjury. That's it.

As an aside, though VA law does not require any proof of residency, were I in your position I would probably update my driver's license address first, to smooth things along.

Paragon

imported post

I didn't think about the fact they won't be open on Saturdays, whoops! That's good info, I really appreciate it. By the way, sorry that I haven't introduced myself yet, but I'm moving to Fredericksburg after a few years of being stationed in NC. At least I can still open carry!