• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

School Zones?

sehiser

imported post

Okay, I may be being lazy but if everything I read is correct then no loaded gun CCW or not can be within 1,000 feet of a school zone.

Do you realize how many schools there are in a suburban area? There are public, private, charter and church schools. This isn't counting day cares and colleges.

Here is a map of my neighborhood. I'm not going to say where I live on here but I will say I can't go anywhere without passing a school.

Schools are almost always right on the main drags. Based on this, when I get my CCW it looks like I'll have to keep my gun unloaded and then load it when I get to my destination.

When I'm not so tired I'll review the law again, but it doesn't look to my like I can do to much since I have to drive through school zones. I'm assuming if there is a "20 MPH" flashing sign, then I'm in the school zone. Unless they only count 1,000 feet out from the physical building which I'm assuming they do not.

All the reb blobs are the schools I'm aware of off the top of my head. I blocked out the street names after thinking about it. Sorry for the lack of quality, I'm on my laptop right now and don't have any photo editing software installed.

schools1.jpg

sehiser

imported post

Hmm, decided to look before I go to bed.

"The phrase “school safety zone” pertains only to publicly funded primary schools. Public universities are considered public property, where it is not actually illegal to carry firearms, Fulkerson said."

Reading the ORC, it sounds like being ON the school premises or in the school is the safety zone. Still looking for clairification.

I may be getting the zone goofed up with the zone they have setup for drug distributors. But I could swear I've read in plenty of places it's 1,000 feet because of people who live next to a school.

sehiser

imported post

Okay, here we go.

Ohio Revised Code 2901.01(C) defines the term and many related terms:

(C) As used in Title XXIX [29] of the Revised Code:
(1) "School safety zone" consists of a school, school building, school premises, school activity, and school bus.
(2) "School," "school building," and "school premises" have the same meanings as in section 2925.01 of the Revised Code.
(3) "School activity" means any activity held under the auspices of a board of education of a city, local, exempted village, joint vocational, or cooperative education school district; a governing authority of a community school established under Chapter 3314. of the Revised Code; a governing board of an educational service center; or the governing body of a nonpublic school for which the state board of education prescribes minimum standards under section 3301.07 of the Revised Code.
(4) "School bus" has the same meaning as in section 4511.01 of the Revised Code.

AND THIS

Sec. 2923.122: (partial)
(A) No person shall knowingly convey, or attempt to convey, a deadly weapon or dangerous ordnance into a school safety zone.

(3) This section does not apply to a person who conveys or attempts to convey a handgun into, or possesses a handgun in, a school safety zone if, at the time of that conveyance, attempted conveyance, or possession of the handgun, all of the following apply:

(a) The person does not enter into a school building or onto school premises and is not at a school activity.

(b) The person is carrying a valid license or temporary emergency license to carry a concealed handgun issued to the person under section 2923.125 or 2923.1213 of the Revised Code or a license to carry a concealed handgun that was issued by another state with which the attorney general has entered into a reciprocity agreement under section 109.69 of the Revised Code.

(c) The person is in the school safety zone in accordance with 18 U.S.C. 922(q)(2)(B).

(d) The person is not knowingly in a place described in division (B)(1) or (B)(3) to (10) of section 2923.126 of the Revised Code.

SO.... I don't see anything in the ORC saying you can't drive by a school as long as the road you're on is not part of the school premises. Is this up to interpretation or can I drive through a 20 MPH zone without worrying?

RT48

imported post

sehiser wrote:
Is this up to interpretation or can I drive through a 20 MPH zone without worrying?

If you have your Ohio CHL, you are legal to pass by a school carrying your loaded gun as long as you don't actually enter onto school property. If you don't have a CHL, I'm not sure.

This has been discussed a number of times at http://ohioccwforums.org .