• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

[Honest to goodness permitee]Shootout Spills From Freeway To Neighborhood. Arlington, TX

Doug Huffman

Banned
Washington Island, across Death's Door, Wisconsin,
imported post

http://www.nbc5i.com/news/15251493/detail.html?taf=dfw

ARLINGTON, Texas 08 Feb 2008 -- Police are investigating a shootout between drivers in Arlington that happened early Friday morning.Police said a man driving a Cadillac Escalade was driving on Texas 360 near Interstate 30 when five people drove up next to him in a Chevrolet Suburban and began staring at him.The man told police that the people in the Suburban followed him onto westbound I-30 when they rolled down their windows and pointed guns at him. The Escalade driver -- who has a conceal and carry gun permit -- pointed his gun back at them.

Police said people from both vehicles began shooting at each other as they exited Cooper Street. Investigators are trying to determine who fired first.The Escalade driver drove through residential streets trying to evade the Suburban when he saw an officer on Northwood Court and approached him. Three of the people in the Suburban told the officer the man was harassing them and then fled on foot, leaving two of their friends -- one who was shot in the leg.Police said they are still searching for the three people from the Suburban. The other two and the Escalade driver were taken to jail.The injured man was taken to John Peter Smith Hospital.

Sa45auto

imported post

Doug Huffman wrote:
......Three of the people in the Suburban told the officer the man was harassing them........

Yea like anyone in their right mind is going to harass three people with guns. :what:

Marco

imported post

One person harassing FIVE, than he alerts police, whilesome of the alleged ;)victims flee.

One has a permit the others ??????

Where is Columbo when you need him.:lol:

imperialism2024

imported post

Brings up the concept of "intelligence to retreat."

What I'm confused about is whether the man driving the Escalade, our "good guy" or at least "not so bad guy", pulled his gun and threatened or pulled his gun and started shooting... In the event of the former, it was a very poor choice on his part both legally and tactically. In the event of the latter, I'd hope a jury would see his responding to deadly force. I just can't support "threatening back" when threatened. If you've made the decision to involve your gun, then use it unless the threat is eliminated before pulling the trigger. If you have no immediate intention of shooting, then don't draw the gun.

Waiting for more details, though. What's puzzling is the end of the story when the police officer was approached. I mean... do you pull up next to a cruiser and yell, "Hey, those guys in the truck behind me are shooting at me"? I'd tend to think that upon spotting a cop, true instigators would just drive away. If the story is as clearly black/white as this story makes it sound, I don't think the Suburban's passangers would have dismounted and attempted to involve an LEO. Just doesn't add up that they'd get out of their vehicles, go up to an LEO, and start arguing, if they had previously been shooting at one another. Just doesn't make sense in my book... I'm not saying the Escalade driver was in the wrong, but as the story reports it, things just don't add up.

ace1001

imported post

Usually things don't add up because the reporter didn't get, or doesn't report the whole story. Ace

Joe Sixpack

imported post

i agree i dont know if the permit carrier is the good guy or not but i can sure as hell see the others are'nt victims or they would'nt have ran from police.

ima guess they rolled up on him like they said and pointed guns at him (why is yet to be determined) then he pulled his.. this much of the story i can believe..

the question remains why would you not just floor it and get the hell out of dodge, when you're facing 3 barrels to your 1 it's time to go.. thems bad odds.

ace1001

imported post

I would hit the brakes, let them shoot past and take the first exit they had missed. I can't believe that he would get into a brandishing contest with a car full of armed hooligans. Ace

imperialism2024

imported post

ace1001 wrote:
I would hit the brakes, let them shoot past and take the first exit they had missed. I can't believe that he would get into a brandishing contest with a car full of armed hooligans. Ace

Well, there's always imperialism2024's Postulate on the Intelligence to Retreat... :)