• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

New Castle County Get-Together #3

dave_in_delaware

imported post

OK, as promised, here's the beginning of the planning for our next meeting. My guess is that we'll keep the monthly frequency and make this one for some day in March...

As has been suggested, for the next time instead of just eating, maybe we could try to make arrangements with a local shooting range (probably Ommelanden?) to accomodate our group for some hands-on shooting! And THEN, afterwards, go out and grab a bite to eat. Does that sound like a plan? Obviously this would have to be one day on the weekend....

If we're doing that, I think it would be nice for everyone involved to maybe bring along another gun (handgun or long gun - in additionto your carry piece) that you may have so that other people could "test" it out. I know my list of "guns I've fired" is pretty short. This would be a great opportunity for others to check out different guns, and even get to handle them and shoot them. This would be beneficial if one of us has a firearmthat someone else has been considering buying....

We don't have to do the "shooting range" idea, so if anyone else has any other suggestions, post them here!! Let's just toss ideas around for now, then we'll settle in on a date/time once we decide WHAT we're actually doing for sure (by concensus of course)....

OK, let's hear your suggestions! (My "vote" is for the "shooting range then food" idea. I'll only be limited bymy visitation schedule w/ my kids and which weekends I have them).

Wynder

State Researcher
imported post

I know Chef works on Sundays, so it'll probably have to be a Saturday -- what Saturdays in March are you available, Dave?

Mr. Bruce

imported post

I like the range, eating trip. I also prefer as early as possible, I am an early riser. Any saturday is fine with me, as long as I don't have to work. I can work on any given weekend, so whatever you guys come up with I will attend if I can. With respect to other guns, I only have a remington tac-2. It's an assault, home defense tactical 870. If anyone is interested.. let me know.

radnor

imported post

Sounds good to me.... Last Saturday is BAD for me. If Bob is on, I think he'd let us use the 25yd side.

Mr. Bruce

imported post

I have some options for the get next get together. I went to Targetmaster this morning for some range time. While I was there I inquired about range lanes, rooms etc. It can be as big or as small as we want it. We just have to let them know in advance. Options are...

We can rent a bunch of lanes for as many hours as we want. The range is broken up into two rooms. We may be able to rent all the lanes in one room. If we get as many of us as were at the dinner I think that would be 5 lanes to split between us ( I THINK this is how many are in the small room.) This all depends on how long we all want to shoot as well. I usually go for a good hour and shoot about 300 rounds. I don't know what you all normally shoot. The gentleman I spoke to just asked that we tell them in advance how many lanes and for how long.

Targetmaster also has classrooms that we COULD rent and have it catered or bring stuff. By catered I was thinking along the lines of capriotti's subs or pizza or something. The only thing about getting a room there to eat in would kinda defeat the OC thing.

We could shoot and go eat in Delaware up off 202 as well.

I have an issue to bring up with going to PA. Do the rules change with how we can carry guns in cars when we hit the PA line?

Also today....EVERY first shot after I changed mags went real low and to the left.... I couldn't figure out why.. any ideas?

Wynder

State Researcher
imported post

Mr. Bruce wrote:
I have an issue to bring up with going to PA. Do the rules change with how we can carry guns in cars when we hit the PA line?
YES. No open carry in cars in PA. You want to have the weapon cased and separate from ammo, locked in your trunk... no deviations once you're in PA -- right to the range... you have to be going to/coming from a location where it's lawful to have your firearm.

If you have ANY state permit, you can OC in the car, if I recall.

Even though OC is lawful in PA, I believe you have an issue if you stop somewhere, make ready your weapon from your trunk and holster it to OC because of their stupid vehicle carry laws.

Wynder

State Researcher
imported post

Mr. Bruce wrote:
Targetmaster also has classrooms that we COULD rent and have it catered or bring stuff. By catered I was thinking along the lines of capriotti's subs or pizza or something. The only thing about getting a room there to eat in would kinda defeat the OC thing.
I have issues with TargetMaster simply because they're "Ammo Nazi's" (NO AMMO FOR YOU! :lol:) when it comes to Walmart 100 round boxes, which is my staple ammunition for target shooting, as much as I'd love to have Capriotti's cheesesteaks. ;p

That's just me, though.

sprat

imported post

Mr Bruce

if upon changing mags and releasing the slide the gun shoots in a different pattern, it sounds like the barrel is not aligning properly.

if you were shooting a sig p-226-229 series pistol I would say the barrel and/or locking block was loose and realigns after the first shot,

1) are these factory mags or aftermarket mags

2) do you load the mag to full capacity as in if its a 15 rd mag do you load 15 rds or 13-14 rds.

3) I also assume you are using factory loads. reloads can wander

4) did you buy the gun new or used and have you had it serviced

5) do this occur during single action or double action firing

you can PM me, I am fully trained smith, I can guide you but not repair it for you

sprat

dave_in_delaware

imported post

As much as I'd like to hit TargetMaster in PA for a group shoot, I have two issues w/ that place...

1. They are idiotic w/ their ammo "rules" because of the WWB 100-round boxes from Wal-Mart. TargetMaster told me that they don't like the stuff because it's a lower quality and much dirtier than the 50-round boxes. That made no sense to me so I emailed Winchester directly and asked them what the difference was. They told me that there IS NO DIFFERENCE!!! So TargetMaster just has idiots/liars working for them, probably to get you to buy their overpriced ammo.

2. It's up in PA, so I could NOT Open Carry my gun. And since this is the Delaware "chapter" of OpenCarry.org, I think we should keep it in Delaware, where we ALL can OC lawfully without worry. As far as I know, in order for me to be lawfully allowed to OC in PA, I'd need a LTCF. Which I don't have and can't get, since I don't have my CCDW License from DE.

I'd like to "vote" that we keep our meetings in DE if that's OK w/ everyone else.

dave_in_delaware

imported post

Wynder wrote:
I know Chef works on Sundays, so it'll probably have to be a Saturday -- what Saturdays in March are you available, Dave?
I'm available the weekends of March 8th and 22nd. Yeah I know, only two available, but it'sthanks to my visitation schedule w/ my kids. And whichever one we choose for our meeting, I'llbe "using" the otherweekend to take my fianceeto the "Barrels on the Brandywine" wine tasting tour. :cool:

ChefW

imported post

Wynder wrote:
My vote is for Saturday, March 22nd.
I like that too. Hopefully by then I should have my glock. I was also looking at a bersa in the mean time till i get the glock. Anyone know about those bersa's if they suck or not?

dave_in_delaware

imported post

Using your best Scottish accent, repeat after me: "If it's not an XD, it's craaaaaaaaap!" :cool:

j/k... I love my Springfield Armory XD's. I've never shot a Bersa, so I have no idea. Maybe you could try posting your question on the "Selecting a Handgun" forum here?

sprat

imported post

Chef

get a sig or glock,if not get a .380cal walther (not a smith & wesson PP) but a used Walther PPKS in .380 cal again don't let the dealer talk you into a S&W copy they are junk

sprat