• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Kidnapping inSLC

odexter

imported post

Did anyone hear about the woman that was kidnapped at smiths downtown and forced to drive to Sandy and get cash from ATM then the guy ran off.

TIME TO GET THE WIFE A CWP!!!:cuss:

odexter

imported post

Here is the POST on KSL
http://www.ksl.com/?nid=148&sid=2713242

A woman was kidnapped outside a Salt Lake City store and forced to drive to Sandy. It happened yesterday afternoon, and the suspect is now in jail.
It was a scary situation for the woman, who was shopping at a Smith's store near 500 South and 500 East yesterday. Police say the woman was walking to her car around 2 p.m. when a man confronted her with a broken bottle.
The man held the bottle to her stomach and forced her into her car. He then got in the backseat and made her drive. She told police she felt what she thought was a gun on the back of her head.

The suspect told her to drive to the area of 9000 South and State Street in Sandy. That's where he demanded that she withdraw money from an ATM. After she gave him the money, the man ran off.
Police say the man was probably looking for drug money. "It's that kind of irrational behavior that just shows you can't predict whether or not they're going to follow through with their threat, so it's a very dangerous and tricky position to be in," explained Detective Jeff Bedard, spokesman for the Salt Lake City Police Department.
The woman drove to West Jordan where she called police. Police in Sandy eventually found the suspect at the 9000 South TRAX stop. He was identified as 23-year-old Brandon Gibbons. Gibbons has a history of drug-related offenses. Police say they did not find a gun on him.

Gibbons was taken to jail and booked on multiple felony charges. "It's very stressful. Obviously, she's upset. But we're happy everything worked out. We got the bad guy. He's in jail, and our victim is fine," Bedard said.
Police say in a situation like this, the best thing to do is try to not get in a car, if that's possible. They encourage people to think about what they would do if something like this were to happen and to have a plan in mind

xmirage2kx

imported post

A"Gun" to the back of the head leaves very few options even if you are the fastest draw in the state. You would have to prevent the situation from getting that far to have any real chance if harm was intended. There is only one way to do that: Situational awareness. If this lady had been aware of what was going on around her then the whole problem would have been avoided in the firstplace. Glad she didn’t get hurt.

Decoligny

imported post

This is where situational awareness comes into play. If a woman is walking in a parking lot towards her car, if she doesn't have a gun, she should have her car keys in her hands with her finger on the mpanic button. If approached by anyone, hit the panic button. If it is an innocent, "Do you know where the dry cleaner is located" kind of encounter, no problem with drawing attention, no harm no foul, if it is a "give me you money" encounter, you've got poeple looking in your direction now, maybe even someone with a gun willing to help out.

Mr. Magnum

imported post

b1ack5mith wrote:
this is why i love to live in small towns; you know everyone has a gun, and most gangs stay out of small towns

Don't kid yourself friend. The crimmigrant population is increasing fast around here & so are the gangs their children are already involved with.

I take notice of more & more gang graffitibetween Spanish Fork & Santaquin every week.

I do agree that realizing they have settled in a heavily armed community has made them keep there activities a bit more low key though.

Kevin Jensen

State Researcher
imported post

Mr. Magnum wrote:
I take notice of more & more gang graffitibetween Spanish Fork & Santaquin every week.
http://www.sltrib.com/news/ci_8489650

Santaquin cops say they nabbed four graffiti vandals
The Salt Lake Tribune

Article Last Updated:03/07/2008
09:04:53 AM MST Posted: 9:05 AM

SANTAQUIN - Four graffiti vandals were arrested after police here caught them in the act.

The Daily Herald reports today that one of Chief Dennis Howard's officers was on patrol recently when he spotted the four males at work in a runoff canal.

The four teen suspects fled but were caught after a chase of a few blocks.

The Herald reports that all four were charged with criminal mischief, criminal trespass, failure to respond to an officer's command to stop and littering.

b1ack5mith

imported post

its so cool how big of a deal stuff like that is out here... like, i remember readin the payson paper, and it even mentioned a couple gettin married, its freakin hilarious, i love small towns... in CA, cops shoot bad guys all the time, it never ends up in the paper lol