• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Schools

Mr. Bruce

imported post

Ok.... I need a little clarification please. I thought I had this clear but I think I don't. Am I correct that in Delaware we have kinda decided that unless you are doing one of those 7 things in the delaware law, you would be ok OC near a school? This is in respect to Delaware law only.

Second, What is the federal law I heard about last night? Is it the same as State law or is it without a doubt no guns within 1000 feet of school?

Mr. Bruce

imported post

OK so after reading that thread.... I'm to understand that by FED law I can't go within 1000 eet of school unless I have a ccdw permit. No OC within 100o feet of school by FED law.

ijusam

imported post

Mr. Bruce wrote:
OK so after reading that thread.... I'm to understand that by FED law I can't go within 1000 eet of school unless I have a ccdw permit. No OC within 100o feet of school by FED law.
That's the way I read it. Keeping in mind it is talking about elementary and secondary schools, not colleges and universities. You must have reasonable cause to believe it is a school zone so accidentally being near a unmarked or home school isn't going to burn you. Private property is exempted, so you can be on my property which borders a school, or my neighbours property as long as he doesn't tell you to leave. As this is the biggest restriction in Delaware and Dover is off limits without a CCDW, I found it safer to just get my licence...plus I had always wanted one. I don't know how they would go about prosecuting someone who was OC in a car (on the passenger's seat) while just driving down the street that a school happened to be on.

Mr. Bruce

imported post

Thanks for the input. So I guess I do have to be really careful in Newark. It's a shame because my daily walk with the dog takes me right past an elementary school. I live right around the block from it. I am going to go for my CCDW permit soon. That is the whole reason I found this site. After reading about OC in Delaware I thought "WHY NOT?" until I got my permit. I actually think OC is more effective in some situations than CC. Once again, thanks for the input.

stephpd

imported post

I have the same problem with the Federal Law. Walk my dogs around a school that's only a block away. I can't figure out how this law ever came into being. Using the commerce clause to restrict use around schools seems a strerch of commerce and unlawful for the feds in direct violation of the 2nd Amendment.