Fred Meyer
    Blockbuster
    Sportsmans Warehouse
    Bright Water Ventures
    Eastland Sushi
    Jerusalem Cafe
    Chevies
    Various Minit Marts and gas stations

Zero negative encounters. Had one gentleman ask me about the law regarding OC/CC. He said he appreciated that I was carrying and he wanted to pat me on the back which he did, literally.

A kid said "nice gun" to me and at another place I got the stink eye from a Sheriffs deputy but no contact.

Post imported post

Congrats, nathan... glad to hear you had no negative encounters.

I've OC'd a few places myself in the last week with no encounters:

Sheri's
    Super K-Mart
    QFC
    Pike Place Market
    Seattle Waterfront
    Ivar's

B.S. Chemistry UofWA '09
    KF7GEA

Post imported post

Well, uneventful for me this past week as well in:
    Seattle
    Spiro’s in Gig Harbor
    Target in Gig Harbor
    Wright Park in Tacoma
    Narrow’s Park in Gig Harbor (ignoring the sign below)
    Ruston Way Waterfront
    Rock Pasta in Tacoma
    Cabella’s in Lacy
    Target in Tacoma
    REI in Tacoma
    Rock Pasta in Lacy

Post imported post

Mainsail, the sign references the general RCW 36.68, but I think they're meaning RCW 36.68.060 Subsection (6), which states:
    Shall promulgate and enforce reasonable rules and regulations deemed necessary in the operation of parks, playgrounds, and other recreational facilities, and may recommend to the board of county commissioners adoption of any rules or regulations requiring enforcement by legal process which relate to parks, playgrounds, or other recreational facilities.
    So, they probably think they have Carte Blanche to make any kinds of rules they deem necessary. Unfortunately, they must not have figured out that the state laws on firearms and, more specifically, RCW 9.41.290 State Preemption, doesn't allow them to restrict firearms in their parks.

B.S. Chemistry UofWA '09
    KF7GEA

Post imported post

Same sign at Swan Creek Park down here by my house; mailed the Director of Parks and Recreation for Pierce County long time ago, but never received a reply. I carry whenver I am there and have not had an issue yet.

Campaign Veteran Right Wing Wacko's Avatar

Post imported post

My OC'ing this week was also mostly uneventful. (See my other post earlier in the week about the positive encounter at Buzz-Inn)

• Buzz-Inn Steak House in Smokey Point (Multiple Times)
    • Best-Buy - Smokey Point
    • Target - Smokey Point
    • Safeway - Marysville
    • Washington State Liquor Store - Smokey Point
    • Haggen Foods - Marysville
    • Anthony's Homeport Restaurant - Everett Waterfront
    • Basken&Robbins - Marysville
    • Fred-Meyer - Marysville
    • ARCO - Marysville
    • A Quicky Mart near the Arlington Airport - forget the name.

Other than one time at Buzz-Inn, I swear that I don't think anyone even noticed I was carrying. The Liquor Store and the Quicky Mart were places where I was the most concerned about encounters, but nothing.

Post imported post

Oh yeah, I OC'd at a Vancouver Park, too. There was a sign that said No Firearms which I ignored of course.

I haven't carried in a liquor store. Reading through the applicible laws I just don't see a distinction between a bar which is prohibited and a liquor store. The liquor store near my house has a police officer working as a security guard during busy times (the day before a holiday) and I just haven't been able to decide if I want to try my luck or not..

Post imported post

nathan wrote:
    Oh yeah, I OC'd at a Vancouver Park, too. There was a sign that said No Firearms which I ignored of course.

I haven't carried in a liquor store. Reading through the applicible laws I just don't see a distinction between a bar which is prohibited and a liquor store. The liquor store near my house has a police officer working as a security guard during busy times (the day before a holiday) and I just haven't been able to decide if I want to try my luck or not..
    The difference is that a liquor store allows minors if accompanied by an adult. This by virtue is not off limits to persons under 21. Also they do not have the required sinage posted the same as bars have.
    "A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity."

"though I walk through the valley in the shadow of death, I fear no evil, for I know that you are by my side" Glock 23:40

Campaign Veteran

Post imported post

Nathan,

When we getting the Vancouver/PDX group together again to create some more hate and discontent?

Ken

Post imported post

joeroket wrote:
    The difference is that a liquor store allows minors if accompanied by an adult. This by virtue is not off limits to persons under 21. Also they do not have the required sinage posted the same as bars have.
    But don't bars have similar provisions for under 21 employees and other circumstances? I would like to be comfortable carrying at all in a liquor store. I don't even CC into them as of now because I don't want to be in violation of the law.

Post imported post

Puddin99 wrote:
    Nathan,
    When we getting the Vancouver/PDX group together again to create some more hate and discontent?
    Ken
    I'm game just about anytime..

Campaign Veteran Right Wing Wacko's Avatar

Post imported post

nathan wrote:

The law states that any place restricted to persons 21 and older by the WSLCB.

Liquor stores are not restricted. You can take your kids in with you if you want. They just can't go alone.

But don't bars have similar provisions for under 21 employees and other circumstances? I would like to be comfortable carrying at all in a liquor store. I don't even CC into them as of now because I don't want to be in violation of the law.
    The law specifically excludes employees of the bar

Post imported post

no issues carrying at:

my house ("roommates" :P)
    hollywood video
    subway
    gas stations
    cabelas
    Ford dealership in Snohomish (salesman asked about it, he ended up being an nra member, gave him a pamphlet and had a good talk)

But, I had a stupid issue at Sportsmans Warehouse in Lacey. It was cold as hell and I was wearing a jacket when I went in, after talking to the clerk about whether or not the kimber warrior would fit my holster I wore now he asked what kind I had. My jacket was open and you could see my gun if you looked but I pulled it back a bit so he could get a better look at it. He told me I needed cover itback up, that if I couldnt show him that. I replied that OC is legal, and he said "ya but if security see's you show me there gonna get all pissy and make you cover it, if its concealed you have to keep it that way" or something to that effect. I left it at that, just let my jacket hang back over it and didnt push it just changed the subject.Honestlydidnt like the store that much in the first place and the employees werent that great to deal with. None of them were rude at all or unfriendly just not that great like basically everyone I've dealt with at Cabelas.

Marcus

Moderator / Administrator

Post imported post

ScorpioMk wrote:
    But, I had a stupid issue at Sportsmans Warehouse in Lacey. It was cold as hell and I was wearing a jacket when I went in, after talking to the clerk about whether or not the kimber warrior would fit my holster I wore now he asked what kind I had. My jacket was open and you could see my gun if you looked but I pulled it back a bit so he could get a better look at it. He told me I needed cover itback up, that if I couldnt show him that. I replied that OC is legal, and he said "ya but if security see's you show me there gonna get all pissy and make you cover it, if its concealed you have to keep it that way" or something to that effect. I left it at that, just let my jacket hang back over it and didnt push it just changed the subject.Honestlydidnt like the store that much in the first place and the employees werent that great to deal with. None of them were rude at all or unfriendly just not that great like basically everyone I've dealt with at Cabelas.
    Please do call the store manager at this Sportsmen's warehouse - the VP of Sportsmen's Warehouse called me personally to tell me that OC is allowed in their stores and that the stores have been told. let me know if you cannot resolve this and I will get involved.

Post imported post

This message is for mainsail. You posted area that you OC'ed to. Are the areas listed places that allow OC'ing. I am new to the forum and am confused.

Post imported post

dlnwoody wrote:
    This message is for mainsail. You posted area that you OC'ed to. Are the areas listed places that allow OC'ing. I am new to the forum and am confused.
    You can carry openly almost anywhere in the state. In other words, it’s easier to list the places you cannot carry, openly or concealed, than it is to list places where you can. The places I listed were places where I carried openly over the week. Did that answer your question?

Post imported post

Thank you. The reason I ask is befor I deployed I was in cabales looking for a holster. I was CC'ing at the time. When I asked if my gun would fit a certain holster I was told if I took it out they would unload it and put a lock on it. Once we were done they walked me out the store before they gave it back. Again thanks for the info.

Post imported post

Any OC'ers in Mount Vernon area? I know some of you have gone to the sportman warehouse in Burlington, so theres some I think. Where have you gone in Mount Vernon OC'ing that you did or didn't have problems in?

Post imported post

dlnwoody,

Any time you're going to handle your handgun (or rifle, for that matter) in the store they are rightly concerned to make sure it's safe and empty before any such handling takes place.

The issue discussed here at OCDO has been more about whether they require you to disarm before entering, even if you have no intention of taking your handgun (whether OC or CC) out of its holster for any reason. That's a completely different question, and one where Cabela's, Sportsmen's Warehouse, and even WalMart all corporately have the policy of supporting whatever carry is legal within the local area (though some carriers have certainly had problems with individual untrained/uninformed managers or employees, resulting in many of the posts you can see here.)

Post imported post

And, to add to kparker's post, I don't think anyone here has any issue with the stores wanting to "make safe" any firearm that's going to be handled outside of a holster, unless in a self-defense situation.

As such, I support that policy.
    B.S. Chemistry UofWA '09
    KF7GEA

Post imported post

kparker wrote:
    dlnwoody,

Any time you're going to handle your handgun (or rifle, for that matter) in the store they are rightly concerned to make sure it's safe and empty before any such handling takes place.

The issue discussed here at OCDO has been more about whether they require you to disarm before entering, even if you have no intention of taking your handgun (whether OC or CC) out of its holster for any reason. That's a completely different question, and one where Cabela's, Sportsmen's Warehouse, and even WalMart all corporately have the policy of supporting whatever carry is legal within the local area (though some carriers have certainly had problems with individual untrained/uninformed managers or employees, resulting in many of the posts you can see here.)

Was approached today OC'ing at Cabelas and this is what was said "Hey, now I have no problems with you carrying at all but are you going to be looking at any accessories of any sort for your gun?" and I told him no and that it would stay in its holster during my visit and his reply was "Great, thats all I needed to know. We get some idiots taking there guns out on there own to try out different holsters and stuff or walking up to the counter, pulling it out and asking if they have anything for it" or something very close to that.

Marcus

Post imported post

Thanks for the input from everyone.