• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

My first couple of OCs in Albuquerque

Solodex

imported post

All were very uneventful. My first OC experience was last Saturday. I went somewhere where I knew I would be pretty good: Charlie's Sporting Goods. I went in looking for MEC shotshell reloading equipment. Nobody said anything, went without a hitch.

On Thursday I carried to Hudson's Audio. They noticed and we talked about open carry a little. It was a nice conversation. I took the opportunity to educate people about why I carry and the laws about open carry.

Today, I carried into Jiffy Lube when I went to get an oil change. As soon as I got out of the vehicle, the worker noticed the Glock 22 in the Blackhawk Serpa holster on my hip. He asked me what gun it was and if I liked it. We talked a little. Inside, there were a couple of women. The one seemed a bit skittish when she saw that I was carrying, but she didn't say anything. The other lady talked to me for a while and we had a nice conversation, though she didn't mention anything about me carrying. Then, the same worker asked me about carry. He said he was thinking about carrying. I talked to him about why I carry and it was good.

So, overall experience so far has been extremely good. I do have one question though...I thought that there was a law in place where we could not OC in places that sell alcohol for either on or off-site consumption. I haven't been carrying into those places, but I recently saw a person open carrying in a Walmart that sells alcohol. Has this changed or was I totally wrong to begin with?

Cheers,

Nate

OLD TEXAN

imported post

Nate,

The law has changed in New Mexico. You can now carry in a place that sells alcohol beverages for off-site consumption. You Can NOT carry where it is sold for on site consumption (bar or restaurant).

I think that law changed last July or September.

Good Luck

Solodex

imported post

Colt 45 wrote:
Nate,

The law has changed in New Mexico. You can now carry in a place that sells alcohol beverages for off-site consumption. You Can NOT carry where it is sold for on site consumption (bar or restaurant).

Good Luck

I knew the law had changed but I thought it only affected concealed carry...

UTOC-45-44

imported post

Solodex wrote:
Colt 45 wrote:
Nate,

Good Luck

CONCEALED means that NOBODY knows but YOU Solodex. What they DON'T know WON'T hurt them. Just be smart and careful.

TJ

DocNTexas

imported post

Solodex wrote:
Colt 45 wrote:
Nate,

Good Luck

Solodex,

You are correct, the change in the law only applies to concealed carry with a license and does not allow for open carry. Anyone carrying openly in a place that sell alcohol is in violation of a felony offense. Hopefully the person you saw was actually a LEO and not some misinformed individual.

When in doubt, conceal.

Take care and be safe,

Doc

D. Shultis

imported post

Solodex, Colt 45 and others

Up until July 1, 2007, the fourth degree felony for stepping on the property of a business that was licensed to sell alcohol while in possession of a firearm (loaded or empty) only had 5 "graces", or exceptions to the rule.

On July 1, 2007, a sixth grace went into effect allowing a person with a CCW permit that is valid in New Mexico to carry a weapon into an alcohollicensed establiment, "provided that the establishment does not sell alcoholic beverages for consumption on the premises". This is House bill 588 passed and signed by the Governor 4/2/07.

Even tho our New Mexico laws are sometimes a bit complicated, i believe we are still 3rd gun-friendliest State in the Union.

Be safe, carry always, be well.

DocNTexas

imported post

D. Shultis wrote:
Solodex, Colt 45 and others

Up until July 1, 2007, the fourth degree felony for stepping on the property of a business that was licensed to sell alcohol while in possession of a firearm (loaded or empty) only had 5 "graces", or exceptions to the rule.

On July 1, 2007, a sixth grace went into effect allowing a person with a CCW permit that is valid in New Mexico to carry a weapon into an alcohollicensed establishment, "provided that the establishment does not sell alcoholic beverages for consumption on the premises". This is House bill 588 passed and signed by the Governor 4/2/07.

Even tho our New Mexico laws are sometimes a bit complicated, i believe we are still 3rd gun-friendliest State in the Union.

Be safe, carry always, be well.

Hello D. Shultis

First off, welcome to the forum.

As for your post, you are absolutely correct,however, it may need a bit of clarification for the subject at hand.

The question and point being addressedwas in reference to a person seen carrying openly, not concealed, in a place that sold alcohol (i.e. Wal-Mart). The point being madewas that the recent change in the law only applies toconcealed carrywith a permit and does not allow foropen carry, permit or not. There is no provision that allows for open carry in a licensed establishment of any kind. Just a little clarification to your otherwise accurate post.

Take care and be safe,

Doc