• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Mason Transit prohibts lawfully posessed weapons and ammo...

sv_libertarian

State Researcher
imported post

Had to take the bus to Shelton today :? and while reading their schedule noted they specifically prohibited legal arms and ammo on the bus despite the protections of RCW 9.91.025. Having nothing else to do tonight, I sent off an email to them. Should be amusing.
Hi,
On occasion I take MT to Shelton from Olympia. Your latest schedule incorrectly states that a person may not carry legal firearms or ammo on the bus. As I am sure you are very much aware this contradicts RCW 9.91.025 which states in part " (e) Carries any flammable liquid, explosive, acid, or other article or material likely to cause harm to others except that nothing herein prevents a person from carrying a cigarette, cigar, or pipe lighter or carrying a firearm or ammunition in a way that is not otherwise prohibited by law;" (my emphasis)

Other larger transit agencies such as Sound Transit, Pierce Transit, Community Transit and King County Metro have all reversed their unlawful no weapons policy. I trust that this is merely an oversight on the part of MT and will be swiftly corrected.

As I am sure you also know, the state constitution very carefully protects the right of the individual to bear arms for personal protection. Please cite any state laws that allow you to deny a person with a valid concealed weapons permit from boarding an MT bus with his/her firearm.

Thank you for your time.

sv_libertarian

State Researcher
imported post

Was working, so not packing, but yeah if I was just going out to Shelton for grins I would pack. Not sure MT has enough money to justify sueing them :)

Gray Peterson

Founder's Club Member - Moderator
imported post

Actually Mason Transit has been warned multiple times to not ban guns. I told them that they were a municipal corporation and thus effected by preemption statute.

Gray Peterson

Founder's Club Member - Moderator
imported post

Mason Transit was one of the problem children who would not remove their preemption statute. I sent them emails, and I can share with you the copies of the emails I sent to them back in 2004 and 2005.

sv_libertarian

State Researcher
imported post

Lonnie Wilson wrote:
Mason Transit was one of the problem children who would not remove their preemption statute. I sent them emails, and I can share with you the copies of the emails I sent to them back in 2004 and 2005.
Would you please? My user name at yahoo dot com.
Thanks
I need to get on Intercity Transit again too, privately they acknowledge the law, but still haven't changed their written policies....

sv_libertarian

State Researcher
imported post

Here is the nice meaningless response I got from Mason Transit. I followed up with a suggestion that instead of playing silly games they just get in line with other larger and more prestegious transit agencies and start respecting rider's rights before they get sued.

Thank you for your comments and reference to the RCW. I will forward your comments on to management representatives, MTA legal counsel, and members of the service development committee, responsible for reviewing and taking action on policy changes.

We value and appreciate input from our riders. As soon as a decision on this matter is confirmed, we will take necessary steps to respond and/or post it as appropriate.

Kathy Cook
Administrative Services Manager
Mason Transit
PO Box 1880
Shelton, WA 98584

sv_libertarian

State Researcher
imported post

Heheh, got a reply this morning. Below is the letter I wrote, then her response.

[size=Thank you for your time. I would think that instead of subjecting a well established and understood state law to minor low level review, it would be simpler, quicker and cheaper to simply fall in line with the law. Other larger, more prestigious transit agencies such as King County Metro, Sound Transit, Pierce Transit, and Community Transit have all reached an understanding of the law and have adopted policies in line with state law.

Should MTA continue to violate the law and rider's constitutional rights, I will have to consider legal actions to protect my rights.

]
[/size]
Mr. Coffman:

You can be assured this review and modification will not be delayed.