• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Burglary

Misguided Child

imported post

Well, I'm back online after a burglary Feb 5th. I thought I would pass on a couple points.

One, hug your gun safe(s) every now and then. If you don't have one, get one.I am many thousands of dollars ahead now because of the safes. All they had to steal was an older computer, camera, PDA and a gold ring. Not a lot of money there.

Note that they did take one pack of checks out of the middle of a box.I usually have that box in the safe but it wasn't at the time.

It was interesting to call 911. I explained that I had been burglarized and was immediatly told that they would have an officer call me. I told her I was standing in the driveway with my sidearm in my hand and what would she suggest I do? She was almost stuttering as she told me I had to secure my weapon, I asked how and she told me I had to secure my weapon. I again asked how, and she told me I HAD to secure my weapon.So this time I asked her if she was suggesting I walk into the house, open my safe and put it there? (I was only a little sarcastic there) She calmed down and asked me where I was, I told her I was standing in my driveway with my sidearm in my hand. She asked me if I could get to my car, I said yes and she told me to get in my car and put the gun under the seat. So I did and I doubt it was even 30 seconds before I noticed 3 officers coming down the street on foot from both sides. Pretty quick considering I was only expecting a call!

Back on topic, the next weekend I went to FAS for their "Defensive Handgun" course. That was fun and a great skill builder. I got to talk to 3-4 people who didn't know they could open carry. One gentleman who is in LE up here in Snohomish county who was really interested in the idea and is probably lurking for now. My friend and I OC'd all weekend without any problems. We stopped by Cabelas on the way back and were stopped by 3 guys that all appeared to be family who wanted to know "how do you get away with that?" So I got to explain the law to them and they were very interested. One of them told me he knew you had to dissasemble your weapons and store them away from the ammo in your car.... but he didn't know you could OC. I set him straight on the law and told him to start reading here to learn more.

My friend noticed a group of young cashiers while I was checking and told me one of them saw our guns and said OMG! they have guns!, but the others paid no attention to us.

nofoa

imported post

I am glad to hear you had great foresight to hide and secure your most valuable possessions. I hope they catch the people who invaded your home and your items are returned.