• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

UK - British Man Charged with Murder

Schofield

imported post

Apparently, according to British law, the second the criminal isn't an "imminent threat", you're screwed as far as self defense goes. They could set the knife down, throw their hands up and say "You've got me, gov'nuh! I want my lawyer and three meals a day for a month!" AFTER stabbing you as you lie bleeding and dying on the floor and it would be illegal to do anything about it.

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/news/article827978.ece

By BEN ASHFORD
Published: 21 Feb 2008
A HERO shopkeeper who struggled with a robber was nicked on suspicion of murder after the thug was killed with his own knife.
Brave Tony Singh fought back when hooded Liam Kilroe, 25, ambushed him as he was about to drive home after a 13-hour day.
The career-villain pulled a knife on his petrified victim – but was impaled on it as he grappled with the terrified convenience store boss.
Kilroe, who has a history of violent armed robberies on shops, tried to flee the raid but collapsed and died in a pool of blood.
Police called to the scene in Skelmersdale, Lancs, found shocked Mr Singh, 34, nursing knife wounds to his back and neck.
But despite his injuries officers arrested the shaken have-a-go-hero and quizzed him on suspicion of murder.
After being freed on bail until February 29, he said: “I feel lucky to be alive. All I was doing was trying to stop myself getting hurt. If one of the wounds had gone an inch either way it could have been fatal.”
Lancashire Police have sent a file to Crown Prosecution Service lawyers who will decide whether murder or manslaughter charges should be brought.
Locals rallied around Mr Singh yesterday.
[align=right]b.ashford@the-sun.co.uk[/align]

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Maybe I'm missing something; but it looks to me like standard procedure.

Police arrive and finda dead body. Who killed it? That guy with the knife wounds probably. Oh, hesays it was self-defense. OK, lets get hold of him until we find outfor sure--lots of murderers have claimed self-defense.

Not that I like that scenario.

I'm just not convinced Mr. Singh is in any more than usual trouble. I don't know English law, but I think there won't be any charges.

Mordis

imported post

I have friends in england, and your way off. There was a home owner there once. Who had a permit for a hunting shot gun. Some guy broke in with a knife and came at the home owner, who shot him down with the hunting gun. Well, the homeowner was arrested charged and convicted of murder and got more then 10 years in jail.

In england they dont want you defending your self at all.

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Mordis wrote:
I have friends in england, and your way off. There was a home owner there once. Who had a permit for a hunting shot gun. Some guy broke in with a knife and came at the home owner, who shot him down with the hunting gun. Well, the homeowner was arrested charged and convicted of murder and got more then 10 years in jail.

Yes.I've heard of this sort of thing, too.

But this story doesn't say anything about that. I don't see anything in the story to indicate that he is being unfairly investigated or prosecuted.

deepdiver

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Citizen wrote:
Mordis wrote:

But this story doesn't say anything about that. I don't see anything in the story to indicate that he is being unfairly investigated or prosecuted.
It will be quite interesting if we get a followup on the story finding out what the court does. There are numerous news stories of English subjects being deprived of liberty for the crime of surviving the attacks of brutal multiple offender having passed through the understanding British legal system.

SouthernBoy

Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA
imported post

deepdiver wrote:
Citizen wrote:
Mordis wrote:

It will be quite interesting if we get a followup on the story finding out what the court does. There are numerous news stories of English subjects being deprived of liberty for the crime of surviving the attacks of brutal multiple offender having passed through the understanding British legal system.
The key phrase.

We are citizens, they are subjects.

deepdiver

Campaign Veteran
imported post

SouthernBoy wrote:
deepdiver wrote:
Citizen wrote:
Mordis wrote:

The key phrase.

Absolutely. I originally typed "citizen" and then immediately backspaced and corrected it.

Venator

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter
imported post

deepdiver wrote:
SouthernBoy wrote:
deepdiver wrote:
Citizen wrote:
Mordis wrote:

The key phrase.

Absolutely. I originally typed "citizen" and then immediately backspaced and corrected it.
Actually they are both. They passed laws a few years ago that states they are citizens and subjects of the UK. GO figure.

deepdiver

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Venator wrote:
deepdiver wrote:
SouthernBoy wrote:
deepdiver wrote:
Citizen wrote:
Mordis wrote:

The key phrase.

Actually they are both. They passed laws a few years ago that states they are citizens and subjects of the UK. GO figure.
As some old timers say around here: Just because a cat has kittens in the oven doesn't mean you call 'em biscuits.

deepdiver

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Venator wrote:
deepdiver wrote:
As some old timers say around here: Just because a cat has kittens in the oven doesn't mean you call 'em biscuits.
But they both are good to eat. especially together with gravy. Yum!
Well, I've been known to eat a little ... dammit, not going there. You led me to the edge of the abyss but I'm just not jumping in.

:p

imperialism2024

imported post

ace1001 wrote:
They don't mention getting the victim medical care either.

He's probably still waiting in the ER to see a doctor, sponsored by his wonderful "free" healthcare.

Sad, sad case though. A year or so ago when I was a little more up-to-date with British domestic news (long story), I recall reading about things like this fairly regularly. :cry:

Neplusultra

imported post

Mordis wrote:

I read an article where an old woman was carrying a knitting needle for self-defense and was charged for possessing an "offensive" weapon!!!!!! No wonder Britian has such massive white flight.

r6-rider

imported post

if you get charged for defending yourself from a robber, whats going to happen when the muslims take over that country and you cant even shoot back?

possumboy

imported post

Schofield wrote:
Lancashire Police have sent a file to Crown Prosecution Service lawyers who will decide whether murder or manslaughter charges should be brought.
Locals rallied around Mr Singh yesterday.

I know I'm probably reading too much into it. But is sounds like he will be charge with killing his attacker. Period.

The only question is will it be murder OR manslaughter.

There are just no words to express my disbelief.

deepdiver

Campaign Veteran

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
imported post

deepdiver wrote:
When exactly did the British become complete and utter pussies? Is there a particular moment in time, a particular vote in parliament, or was it just an insidious emasculating creep of political correctness? Pardon my language, but what else would one call them?

Average, run of the mill, human beings.

I think psychology (the subject) infiltrated into our culture via the media and education has had a huge effect. If you are just a bunch of chemicals,what's the point of taking responsibility or being responsible? Its the chemicals in yourbrain that are responsible for your behavior, not you. If you are just a glorified animal, who cares how you feel, whether you die, whether you'rein pain? You're just a souless, shambling, animal that can make articulate sounds. Why should anybody respect you?

Deny people anunderstanding of themselves,glorify victimhood, teach themthere is no hope, teach them moral relativism. That last one has been devastating--moral relativism.

I imagine its done the same to the Brits.

But, what do I know. I'm just a gun guy.