• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Asked to leave Boulder Safeway

BobCav

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Bumpy, welcome to OCDO. The sad truth is that if you OC, you're gonna encounter a LOT of stupid people. And hypocrites. And Lawyer wannabees. And LEO Wannabees....etc, etc...

Post Offices are out. Banks depends on the bank - some do, some don't. Read up on state law on where CC is specifically prohibited. Did you have a class for your CCW? That should have been covered there.

Best place to start is here: http://carryconcealed.net/legal/colorado-ccw-state-laws.php

Bumpy

imported post

Yeah, took the class and everything, but down in Colorado Springs a few years ago. I couldn't remember about Post Offices, but they are federal so that would make sense that they are out. I will check out the site, a few more hours of mind numbing, eye burning reading should be good for me :) Thanks!

Evil Ernie

imported post

Welcome to the forums Bumpy!!!

I look at it this way: You have you're CCW, you're also in a "mostly" OC friendly state. At this point, it's just "carry". Only thing to be mindful of is where you are in relation to what's legal and where, no OC in Denver County or DIA for instance. I keep a lookout for signs but have yet to find any.

As far as your shirt flipping up, screw'em...you have a CCW, so the breeze "made" you, big deal. I have yet to truly discover what dictates as "concealed" in CO. I print like crazy and the tip of my Serpa sometimes shows, never had a problem.

Be safe, be proud, CARRY ON!

JA

imported post

Bumpy, Boulder Mountain Parks and Open Space ban open carry. This is clearly in violation of the state preemption law which states that cities may ban OC in certain areas if all entrances are posted. The city claims that since all main entrances are posted that they have met the requirements.

http://www.bouldercolorado.gov/index2.php?option=com_content&do_pdf=1&id=1157
Possession or discharge of a firearm or weapon, including paint ball guns, is prohibited on OSMP.

denwego

imported post

Welcome to OCDO, and I'm so sorry about Boulder... this coming from a guy who finally left the People's Republic only a month and a half ago for more civilized areas :cool:

The deal is pretty much what the other guys here have already said, along with what you can read from the past on the forums for the Boulder area. I openly carried for three years in Boulder without much hassle, and nothing approaching the problems the people in Utah and Pennsylvania have been getting in the past couple of months. I got the occasional glance or off-color comment, but never was asked to leave anywhere, nor to "cover it up or take it outside." Boulder's lack of guns, in a way, is something of an advantage against sheep being uppity: the fact that so few people carry period, let alone openly, means that when someone sees you, they assume you must be a cop or that you must have whatever permit you need to OC a gun. Both are obviously, and sadly, incorrect, but it does keep the problems away.

As for you being affiliated with the military, do you happen to be involved in ROTC at the university? My wife was commissioned out of the NROTC program this past May, and she herself OC'd off and on for two years in Boulder without any problems as well. Most of the NCOs and junior officers involved with the program carried (concealed, as far as I know) when out and about on the town, and the word was just keep it legal and we don't care otherwise. Since OCing is legal, I can't see how you'd ever have a problem with the military... they're probably going to be the friendliest folks you'll encounter on the subject of guns in that damned city!

Addendum - I almost forgot... while cities have authority to ban OC with posted signs at public entrances to whatever buildings or facilities they want, remember, the only places CC is banned in the state are K-12 schools and public buildings with permanent security screening in place at all entrances. If you happen to see a "no guns" sign in one of the parks mentioned above, you can't OC, but you can CC all you want; the Meyers decision affirmed concealing in parks no matter what the city says. Happy carrying!

Bumpy

imported post

All very useful info! Thanks a lot! Yes I am involved in ROTC at CU. Last year here before I am active. With the info from this forum I felt confident to OC yesterday in Boulder. Walked into Chipotle on 29th St and nobody said anything to me at all :cool: I think a few people had some surprized looks on their faces, but nothing serious...majority had no idea I even had a XD45 hanging off my belt! It was a new experience, but I don't feel bad at all for doing it. I think I will stick to mostly concealing in Boulder and definitely in Denver (cuz OC is banned). Either way, I will be carrying.

Gunslinger

imported post

Outside of not having a firearm on a military base, all they care about is you don't get arrested out in the world. Banks, unless posted otherwise, are ok for CC or OC--I do both in COS with no problems. Post Offices, no--Federal Law prohibits it. I carry concealed most of the time, but often my holster is exposed partially when I open my coat, shirt rides up, whatever. No problem in CO except, as noted, a portion of Denver. BGs don't carry openly, so people with some brains should draw the conclusion you're not one. I prefer CC, in general. In a bad situation, I'd rather it be an unpleasant surprise for the BG that I'm armed. Just my opinion. Welcome to the forum!