• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Asked to leave Boulder Safeway

Fedge

imported post

I've been OCing in Safeway for months without any issues whatsoever. No one has ever said a word. Well, I needed to get some grocery shopping done today, so I put on my 1911 in my duty-style belt holster and walked in the door like always.

After I few minutes, I noticed a woman shopper giving me the 'death eyes' as picked out some beef. A few minutes later, a young store manager walked up to me and said "I'm sorry sir, only police officers are allowed to carry guns in our store. Could you take it out to your car?" I asked him, "Is that policy posted somewhere?" He replies, "No, but it is corporate policy. I can get you that information if you like." I told him, "I'd appreciate it."

Well, I leave my cart, go disarm myself outside (I hate leaving weapons in my vehicle), and walk back in. I wait for him by the manager's office. 5 to 6 minutes later, he walks out holding a yellow sticky-note. "Well, I couldn't actually find it, but here's the number of our head of security, Denver division." I ask him, "So, the policy isn't posted anywhere, and you can't find it in your own information?" He says, "Unfortunately, yes."

He continues by explaining, "A women complained that she didn't feel comfortable." I came right back with, "Well, I don't feel comfortable being asked to disarm myself and deprived of my ability to protect myself." He says, "I believe we provide a safe shopping experience here for all our customers." "Unfortunately, I don't feel that way. I didn't see any security guards anywhere in the store, and there were no metal detectors to verify that ONLY police officers are carrying sidearms in your store. If you're going to ask me to disarm, you're thereby taking the duty to protect ALL of your customers from an armed or otherwise dangerous threat. I don't feel like you're doing this, and I don't feel safe in your store."

He says, "Well, sir, a woman said that she was afraid of you, and wasn't comfortable. It's company policy." I continue, "Well, I don't feel comfortable either. Is that a legitimate concern of yours? This other shopper's concern clearly was."

From this point forward, his only answer was to call the number on the sticky note. The whole experience was reasonably frustrating, considering I've been carrying in Safeway for so long without any issues. The manager was polite for the most part, despite being fairly ignorant/incompetent at providing the information I required. I paid for my groceries and left, although I had considered just abandoning my cart when I went to the parking lot to disarm.

This was the Safeway on 28th & Arapahoe. I'll refrain from posting names & numbers, as I assume that's frowned upon here.

Fedge

imported post

steveforopen wrote:
Names and numbers, please.

Mods, if this is a problem, delete it or let me know and I'll remove it.

Manager's name was Caleb. The number he gave me was:

Jim Stien
303-843-7600
"Head of security, Denver division"

I've yet to call, I planned on trying tomorrow during business hours.

Mike

Site Co-Founder
imported post

I OCD in Safeway in Virginia all the time, never a problem.

I recommend that before people OC in a store, be committeed to NOT buying anything if told to go leave a gun unattended in a vehicle.

You make a much bigger proint by leaving that shopping cart in the middle of the isle or that food served to your table on that table and just walk out without paying.

By acquiesing to their "made up" policy demands, you are reinforcing their action by dutiful compliance.

If you are not comitted to refusing patronage in the face of no-OC demands, then please don't OC.

Fedge

imported post

Mike wrote:
I OCD in Safeway in Virginia all the time, never a problem.

I recommend that before people OC in a store, be committeed to NOT buying anything if told to go leave a gun unattended in a vehicle.

You make a much bigger proint by leaving that shopping cart in the middle of the isle or that food served to your table on that table and just walk out without paying.

By acquiesing to their "made up" policy demands, you are reinforcing their action by dutiful compliance.

If you are not comitted to refusing patronage in the face of no-OC demands, then please don't OC.

I agree, and that was an error on my part. When asked to leave other grocery stores, I've done just that. Today, I really needed groceries, and assumed that there would be no issue. I really should've just left my cart where it was and continued home.

edit: for spelling

denwego

imported post

I've OC'ed in that Safeway myself a number of times without any problems at all; it's only about three blocks away from my apartment, in fact. Needless to say, I'll be placing a call to the manager later today to inform him of a boycott on my part as well as all the other Boulder gun owners I know!

lopoetve

imported post

or perhaps we should just all go and OC there.

Hi, btw. New member here :)

Evil Ernie

imported post

Count me in!!! I need to buy diapers and wipes for my 2yr old squirtgun slinger son anyway and this would bea fine opportunity...

Welcome to the forums new folks!!!

Wasn't there a post somewhere in OCDO that had a sheet of "No gun, No $$" cards? I believe this store definitely warrants it.

BrokenR1

imported post

I was OC'ing out west in a Walmart in Delta. Been in there before and after paying a lady that worked there came up to me and said something to the effect of "Excuse me sir, I don't believe we allow carrying like that here" I was on my way out the door anyways so the only thing I said was something along the lines of "I believe Walmart's policy is to go along with state law which does allow it". Similar to what I get from many people and cops even regarding many laws including things other than firearms.

Evil Ernie

imported post

Wally world is kinda strange, I remember a post saying that they honor CCW laws, buts since there is really no "law allowing" OC in CO, they don't have to abide by it. The only thing that makes OC legal in CO is the absence of a law against it, except in Denver of course.
I've been fortunate, no issues to date in Douglas Co Safeways, King Soopers, Walmarts, gas stations, Subways (well, one idiot comment there), pizza shops, Home Depots, Lowes, etc.
I'll see what I can dig up on them. They might have their corporate policy posted in the building somewhere as well.

lopoetve

imported post

last time I was there there wasn't any kind of notice up about that, and they totally ignored me (wally world). Then again, I've gotten tons of stupid comments at other local places (Qdoba always likes to chat it seems).

Evil Ernie

imported post

Our Qdoba seems to be the local lunch hangout for CRPD and DCSD. Haven't had an issue yet!
I checked Safeways corporate site and there's absolutely nothing there about firearms or weapons of any kind. It must be a local or regional thing. That would explain why the guy couldn't find the corporate policy on the rules; THERE ISN'T ONE!!!

swillden

imported post

Evil Ernie wrote:
Wally world is kinda strange, I remember a post saying that they honor CCW laws, buts since there is really no "law allowing" OC in CO, they don't have to abide by it. The only thing that makes OC legal in CO is the absence of a law against it
Is there a law allowing the wearing of mismatched socks? If not, does Wal-mart eject you for doing that, too?

If there's no law against OC, then it's legal. That's the case in almost all states. Wal-mart's policy is to allow what the law allows, so Wal-mart's policy allows OC in CO.

Flintlock

imported post

Fedge wrote:
steveforopen wrote:
Names and numbers, please.

Mods, if this is a problem, delete it or let me know and I'll remove it.

Manager's name was Caleb. The number he gave me was:

Jim Stien
303-843-7600
"Head of security, Denver division"

I've yet to call, I planned on trying tomorrow during business hours.

I am having trouble finding more specific information regarding storepolices and procedures for Safeway, but I was able to find employee policies...

Workplace Safety

The elimination of accidents to employees and customers is one of our greatest responsibilities. Safety is to take precedence over any kind of shortcut, and every reasonable attempt should be made to reduce the possibility of injuries. Management is responsible for maintaining a sound safety program and encouraging a high level of safety awareness.

This derives from the Code of Business Conduct and Ethics.

http://www.secinfo.com/d14D5a.z1Gyb.a.htm

If you have any questions about these guidelines or the Policies, please contact your supervisor, the Legal Division or the Hotline at 1-800-283-5965.

SANDCREEK

imported post

Store managements generally allow "seeing-eye" dogs, but usually will not allow me to bring a Doberman in on a leash. I'm going to begin selectively OC as soon as I find the right holster. Since I won't be in a "uniform", a low-profile, "smart" blackholster w/thumb-break for the GLock 23. My approach will be to present myself in a manner approximating the average person's perception of a person who's OC isnot "alarming", but "looks like" they should be armed ( neat hair-cut, clean-cut appearance/attire)I don't know about Wal-marts, retail stores, etc.It has been said that "perception is 95 percent of reality". "Sheep" are conditioned.So are BG's. (Colorado Springs - HELP ! How do I show "location" on I.D. /edit profile ?)

Evil Ernie

imported post

Flint,
I found the same verbage as well. That's the only thing that even comes close to any kind of policy about safety. Pretty vague, but I'm sure it's only meant as slippery spills in the aisles, teetering piles of diapers on display, etc... But they'll use it against us whenever it's convenient, bastids...

Welcome to the forum Sandcreek!!!!

Evil Ernie

imported post

Welcome to the forums Angeldog and thanks for the heads up. But even if it's not in their policy, they do reserve the right to ask folks to leave. If they do we must mosey on out the door and start filing complaints with regional or corporate. The "company policy" is a total lie tho and you can ask them to see it/call them on it as you're slowly moving toward the exit. The trick is to get as much bitching in as possible!!! LMAO!!!
You have to leave when asked to do so, but there's nothing about being quiet about it!!! Just don't start making threats that may be construed as physical/violent tho, that's a no-no...

RockyMtnScotsman

imported post

angeldog wrote:
Fedge i work for safeway and can tell you There is no policy against customers for carrying just employees. please don't feel un-welcome or discouraged to shop at this location due to a employee uneducated about policy

Thanks for posting that. Good to know if I ever get any grief from my local Safeway.

Bumpy

imported post

Hey everyone, new member here. I just received my CCW in Boulder, CO. I just went to the movies tonight with my XD in a side holster underneath my unbuttoned shirt. There was a little breeze and my shirt opened up exposing my gun. Nobody even saw it, but I started thinking about the consequences. From what I've been reading on here, you can OC in Boulder if you can tolerate stupid people occasionally giving you grief (then again, you have to be able to do that if you live here in the first place ;)). So anyways, it seemed like more of a risk to have someone see my gun that I'm hiding vs just keeping it out in the open. Oppinions? So lets say I'm concealing the gun inside the back of my pants and my shirt flips up? No big deal, right? With a permit I can do either one, but I feel that it would freak more people out if they notice it just chillin in my pants. Another thing, I may or may not be involved in a military service (nothing I say reflects their stance!) so I don't want to get screwed by Boulder statutes and separated. I'd like to know that I am ok to OC if I want to or if my concealed gun happens to show itself so I don't get any sort of charge.

Is there anywhere in Boulder that you know of that specifically bans CC? Oh and what about banks and post offices? Thanks!