• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

VCDL Action Item: Tell Governor Kaine to sign restaurant ban repeal!

Mike

Site Co-Founder
imported post

If you have any sort of Virginia address, home, work, or school, now's the time to use it!
--
Subject:
VA-ALERT: CRITICAL ACTION ITEM 2/23/08

Date:
2/23/2008 11:03:10 P.M. Eastern Standard Time

philip@virginiasystems.com

----------------------------------------------------------------------
VCDL's Gun Dealer Legal Defense Fund -- help fight Mayor Bloomberg's
scheme to cripple Virginia firearms dealers. See:
http://www.vcdl.org/index.html#DefenseFund
VCDL's meeting schedule: http://www.vcdl.org/meetings.html

RESTAURANT BAN REPEAL - CONTACT GOVERNOR KAINE ASAP

Now that the restaurant ban repeal has passed the House, we need to
absolutely bombard the governor with email, phone calls, and letters!

Let's get the Governor's attention with a breathtaking barrage of
contacts with a magnitude he hasn't seen before!

***Folks, this is the furthest that we have ever gotten the restaurant
ban repeal in the 13 years we have been trying to get it repealed.
This is our chance to get that issue put behind us.***

Get your friends, family and co-workers to contact the Governor and
ask him to sign SB 476 into law. For those in gun clubs, make
absolutely sure ever member and their family does this.

We need to work this and work it hard!

If you are tired of the restaurant ban and want to move the ball
forward for the first time on this issue, HERE IS YOUR OPPORTUNITY!
Trust me on this, DO NOT SIT THIS ONE OUT!

Time is short, so please start now!

To contact the Governor, first call him at (804) 786-2211 and leave a
short message simply asking him to support SB 476 (restaurant ban
repeal).

Next, click on the line below to bring up the Governor's electronic
contact form (if clicking doesn't work, copy and paste the line into
your browser):

http://www.governor.virginia.gov/AboutTheGovernor/contactGovernor.cfm

Fill in your name, address, and email address.

Paste in the message subject: "Please SUPPORT SB 476!"

Paste in the following message, or type in one of your own, and then
click "Submit":

--

Please sign SB 476 into law!

SB 476 allows the most trustworthy group of citizens in the
Commonwealth, concealed handgun permit holders, to be able to carry
concealed in restaurants that serve alcoholic beverages. The permit
holder is prohibited from consuming any alcoholic beverages while
doing so.

This bill absolutely does NOT "mix guns and alcohol" because it
contains appropriate penalties and even a notification provision.

SB 476 does allow permit holders to enjoy a meal with their families
without having to either unnecessarily handle a loaded gun & leave it
in their car, where it can be stolen and used in a crime, or to have
to carry the gun openly.

Currently THIRTY-SEVEN other states allow concealed carry in
restaurants that serve alcohol and have done so successfully because
of the law-abiding nature of permit holders.

I urge you to stand with Virginia's 149,000 permit holders and to
support SB 476!

Please let me know what you are going to do.

-------------------------------------------
VA-ALERT is a project of the Virginia Citizens Defense League, Inc.
(VCDL). VCDL is an all-volunteer, non-partisan grassroots organization
dedicated to defending the human rights of all Virginians. The Right to
Keep and Bear Arms is a fundamental human right.

VCDL web page: http://www.vcdl.org

OC-Glock19

Founder's Club Member
imported post

I heard a news report on WTOP Saturday that Tim Kaine is on the short list of possible running mates for Barack Obama, so I really doubt thatthe governor isgoing to be too keen on signing any progun legislation right now. We really need to put the pressure on, and e-mails aren't going to cut it. CALL him. Send handwritten letters, then CALL AGAIN. Now is our best chance to get this really stupid restriction behind us.

OC-Glock19

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Mike wrote:
OC-Glock19 wrote:
I heard a news report on WTOP Saturday that Tim Kaine is on the short list of possible running mates for Barack Obama
Any link?

Mike, I heard it on the radio. After a short search I found this though:

Obama: Kaine on short list
But senator doesn't state what role governor would play in his administration

Tuesday, Feb 12, 2008 - 12:09 AMUpdated: 02:15 AM

By ANDREW CAIN
TIMES-DISPATCH POLITICS EDITOR

On the eve of Virginia's primary, Sen. Barack Obama said yesterday that Gov. Timothy M. Kaine would be on his short list for an unspecified role in his administration.

Kaine is "as fine a public servant as we have in this country," Obama said in an interview on WRVA radio in Richmond.

Obama did not specify what slot Kaine might fill.

Kaine, a national co-chairman of Obama's campaign, has said he intends to complete his term as governor, which ends in January 2010. If Kaine were to leave the governorship early, Lt. Gov. Bill Bolling, a Republican, would take his place.

Obama called in to radio stations in Virginia's main media markets before turning his attention to Maryland ahead of today's primaries.

Virginia, Maryland and the District of Columbia hold contests today. The Illinois senator leads polls in Virginia and Maryland and appears to be the favorite in D.C., which has a majority black population.

"We believe we're going to do well tomorrow" in Virginia, said Kevin Griffis, a spokesman for Obama's campaign.

"This is a state where people value progress over partisanship. The senator's message of hope" will appeal to people "in all walks of life," he said.

Early yesterday, Obama placed calls to five radio programs that air in Richmond, Hampton Roads and Norfolk.

Obama also appeared on the syndicated "Tom Joyner Morning Show" that airs in major markets across the state.

He had planned to hold a rally in Roanoke early yesterday, but high winds forced him to cancel the event.

Instead, Anne Holton, Kaine's wife; their son, Nat; former Mississippi Gov. Ray Mabus; and House Minority Leader Ward L. Armstrong, D-Henry, headlined an Obama rally last night at Roanoke's Dumas Center for Artistic and Cultural Development.

Kaine, the first governor to endorse Obama outside Obama's home state, appeared with the Illinois senator Saturday in Richmond at the Democrats' Jefferson-Jackson Day dinner and Sunday at rallies in Alexandria and Virginia Beach.

Obama had a stellar weekend, winning in Washington state, Nebraska, Louisiana and Maine.

At a rally Sunday night, he trumpeted his victories to a crowd of 18,000 at the Virginia Beach Convention Center.

"We have won on the Atlantic coast, we have won on the Gulf coast, we have won on the Pacific coast and we have won between those coasts," Obama said, according to The Associated Press.

The Daily Press of Newport News reported that thousands lined up outside the convention center three hours before Obama was to take the stage.

"This has got to be the biggest political rally in Virginia Beach history," said Rep. Robert C. Scott, D-3rd.

The Daily Press reported that Helen Byrd, 64, of Norfolk said she wanted to come out to see history. Her sweater was a homemade Obama jersey with his name stitched in red across the back.

"I'm delighted to see a viable African-American candidate in my lifetime," Byrd said. "I will do everything I can to see him succeed."

Link

coastie

imported post

Done. Also e-mailed the message link to numerous people who strongly support this bill.

What irks me is Kane's attitude and position. The Va senators and reps have beat this bill around for years. They have finally recognized it as a valid bill and that it should be a valid law. Initial opposition was overcome with a simple amendment. So the leglisature - which represents all Virginia citizens has basically spoken. Now Kane's personal views kick in and he intends to veto this bill. Why ? ? If he has personal problems with it, simply leave it on his desk and let it become law without his signature. Kane needs to set an example for the federal government "wanna-be's" and follow the dictates of our elected senators and representatives.

sjhipple

imported post

coastie wrote:
Done. Also e-mailed the message link to numerous people who strongly support this bill.

What irks me is Kane's attitude and position. The Va senators and reps have beat this bill around for years. They have finally recognized it as a valid bill and that it should be a valid law. Initial opposition was overcome with a simple amendment. So the leglisature - which represents all Virginia citizens has basically spoken. Now Kane's personal views kick in and he intends to veto this bill. Why ? ? If he has personal problems with it, simply leave it on his desk and let it become law without his signature. Kane needs to set an example for the federal government "wanna-be's" and follow the dictates of our elected senators and representatives.

We have a balance of power for a reason. Governors aren't rubber stamps and shouldn't be. That's why if the legislature had passed a gun control bill, we'd be writing him asking him to veto it.

But they do answer to us.

Done.

DoubleR

Campaign Veteran
imported post

I wish that I would have done this earlier. After reading Phillip's (VCDL) update of 2/28/08, (about half way down the page) I sent my letter toGovernor Kaine. The article written by Nick Penning and appearing in the Connection Newspapers is one of the worst, non-objective, filled with lies anddistortions,pieces of :cuss:I have ever seen. I think we need to send LTE's to Connection Papers and fill up his and the paper's mailboxes with some facts and complaints.
:shock:'scuse me while I get the duct tape!

VCDL President

Centurion
imported post

DoubleR wrote:
I wish that I would have done this earlier. After reading Phillip's (VCDL) update of 2/28/08, (about half way down the page) I sent my letter toGovernor Kaine. The article written by Nick Penning and appearing in the Connection Newspapers is one of the worst, non-objective, filled with lies anddistortions,pieces of :cuss:I have ever seen. I think we need to send LTE's to Connection Papers and fill up his and the paper's mailboxes with some facts and complaints.
You know, DoubleR, I should have warned VA-ALERT readers about the need to use extra-strength duct tape - I hope no one got permanent brain damage... :(

vt357

imported post

VCDL President wrote:
DoubleR wrote:
You know, DoubleR, I should have warned VA-ALERT readers about the need to use extra-strength duct tape - I hope no one got permanent brain damage... :(
I don't always read the anti editorials because they hurt my head too much. But that one may be the worst one that I have ever read. I need more napkins to wipe my bleeding eyes.

sjhipple

imported post

You can call Nick Penning, the author by dialing 703-917-6444 and asking to speak to Nick Penning. He's not in today, but you can leave a message or call back on Monday/Tuesday. Be polite!