• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

New member, lots of questions

mpg9999

imported post

I’ve been lurking here for a little while and decided to sign up. I’ve got a lot of questions, many VA specific so I figured I’d post in this section. I guess I’ll introduce myself first.

I’m an engineering student at Virginia Tech. I didn’t really grow up with guns. My dad had an old .22 (Winchester 1890 I think) that he never used. My first time shooting a gun was at Air Force basic training (I am in the National Guard). Since that time I have slowly become more and more of a gun person. I got my first gun about 2 years ago, a Ruger 10/22. It’s a perfect first rifle, I only wish I had gotten it as a child. I have wanted a hand gun for awhile, but haven’t had the money. April 16[suP]th[/suP] made me realize that I should probably step up my plans to buy one. I am still a poor college student, but am picking up a Makarov (actually an FEG) PA-63, which is based off of the Walther PP and chambered in 9x18. Ideally I would buy an XD in 9 or .40, but that will have to wait.

I’ve got a lot of questions, so I’ll break them down separately to make it easier to reply to.

1. I have already applied for a CCW permit. I attached a copy of my M16 weapons qualification as proof of training. Should I still sign up for a basic concealed carry class? I’ve learned a lot by reading books and forums like this, but I’m wondering if a class would offer more. Or alternatively, should I skip the basic class and sign up for an advanced class?

2. Hypothetical situation. I am concealed carrying, IWB with an untucked shirt overtop the gun. I am shopping and I reach up to grab something off of a shelf, which causes my shirt to rise up and the gun is now visible for a second. If someone can see my gun, is that considered brandishing or anything else that’s illegal, or is that ok since both concealed carry and open carry are legal?

3. I know you can not carry in a court. I live in Blacksburg and I pay my utility bill in person. I guess its just the local government building, and it includes the court. Is the entire building off limits to carrying, or just the physical court room itself? Are there any town laws I might have to worry about?

4. You can’t carry on federal property. We have a shooting range down here located in a national forest. How does that work? I’m assuming there has to be some kind of exemption.

5. What are the laws regarding firearms in cars, both with and without a CCW permit? If I am driving to the range, does the rifle have to be unloaded? Can the magazine be loaded but not in the gun? In the trunk?

6. Looks like a lot of you guys live in NOVA, which is where I am from. I’m trying to think of everywhere I go and make sure I know the laws for those locations. I sometimes go to the Hoffman center to see a movie. Isn’t the building next to the theater a federal building? Is the parking lot, and if so, is it off limits to carrying? The metro is also across the street, where there is more parking. Can you carry on the metro (as long as you stay in VA of course), and metro parking lots?

7. I know you have to be 18 to buy a rifle, and 21 to buy a handgun, but can 18 year old posses and carry a handgun? Next year I am moving to a new place with a new roommate who is also into guns. He is 19 and I mentioned to him that I don’t think there is any law against him possessing a handgun. Can anyone clarify this?

Thanks in advance for answering any of these questions. I have also noticed a lot of members are members of the VCDL. I want to thank you guys for coming down to VT last semester. I attended the talk and afterwards looked you guys up online. I have now signed up for VA Alerts. Thank you for all the hard work you do here in Virginia.

fairfax1

imported post

I'll try to help you out by answering a few questions that I know off the top of my head:

mpg9999 wrote:
I’ve been lurking here for a little while and decided to sign up. I’ve got a lot of questions, many VA specific so I figured I’d post in this section. I guess I’ll introduce myself first.

I’m an engineering student at Virginia Tech.

I'm a fellow college student myself. Are you a member of Students for Concealed Carry on Campus?

2. Hypothetical situation. I am concealed carrying, IWB with an untucked shirt overtop the gun. I am shopping and I reach up to grab something off of a shelf, which causes my shirt to rise up and the gun is now visible for a second. If someone can see my gun, is that considered brandishing or anything else that’s illegal, or is that ok since both concealed carry and open carry are legal?

That is NOT brandishing. If you pull your gun and waive it around in the store, that is brandishing. If you pulled you shirt up on purpose to reveal your gun and told another shopper to "back away from the on sale tomatoes or else," then that could be considering brandishing.

6. Looks like a lot of you guys live in NOVA, which is where I am from. I’m trying to think of everywhere I go and make sure I know the laws for those locations. I sometimes go to the Hoffman center to see a movie. Isn’t the building next to the theater a federal building? Is the parking lot, and if so, is it off limits to carrying? The metro is also across the street, where there is more parking. Can you carry on the metro (as long as you stay in VA of course), and metro parking lots?

I go to that AMC theater sometimes. They have their own parking lot on the right side of the building. You should be fine. If you parked in the Hoffman "federal" lot, you would probably get your car towed anyways for not having a parking permit.

Carrying on Metro in VA in fine. I think getting on at Arlington Cemetery and Pentagon train stops might be a problem because they are on (or you have to cross) federal property (does anyone know for sure?)

7. I know you have to be 18 to buy a rifle, and 21 to buy a handgun, but can 18 year old posses and carry a handgun? Next year I am moving to a new place with a new roommate who is also into guns. He is 19 and I mentioned to him that I don’t think there is any law against him possessing a handgun. Can anyone clarify this?

18 to possess a handgun (assuming not a felon)
18 to open carry a handgun (assuming not a felon)
18 to possess a rifle (assuming not a felon)
18 to buy a handgun from a private citizen (assuming you are both residents of VA and not felons)
21 to buy a handgun from an FFL dealer
21 to get a CHP

Buying ammo can be tricky if under 21 since a lot of stores card you for handgun ammo. Rifle ammo is 18. Ammo that works in both types of gun, that just depends on the clerk.

mpg9999

imported post

fairfax1 wrote:
I'll try to help you out by answering a few questions that I know off the top of my head:

Thanks, and yes, I am a member of SCCC and plan on taking part in their next empty holster protest.

eyesopened

imported post

mpg9999 wrote:
1. I have already applied for a CCW permit. I attached a copy of my M16 weapons qualification as proof of training. Should I still sign up for a basic concealed carry class? I’ve learned a lot by reading books and forums like this, but I’m wondering if
text_editor.focus();
a class would offer more. Or alternatively, should I skip the basic class and sign up for an advanced class?

Since you mentioned this was your first handgun, then I would say yes to signing up for a basic pistol class. At the class I attended, they also discussed some CHP scenarios you may encounter as well as rules to keep in mind with the CHP. The class also gave you a chance to familiarize with a revolver and pistol and included live fire on a range.

This wouldn't be brandishing. Here is the code to look at: http://leg1.state.va.us/cgi-bin/legp504.exe?000+coh+18.2-282+402761

3. I know you can not carry in a court. I live in Blacksburg and I pay my utility bill in person. I guess its just the local government building, and it includes the court. Is the entire building off limits to carrying, or just the physical court room itself? Are there any town laws I might have to worry about?

I'd say if you have to pass a metal detector to pay the bill, it's probably off limits, but IANAL.

5. What are the laws regarding firearms in cars, both with and without a CCW permit? If I am driving to the range, does the rifle have to be unloaded? Can the magazine be loaded but not in the gun? In the trunk?

VA has a CHP, Concealed Handguns Permit. The permit only allows you to conceal a handgun. It's not like FL's CCW where certain knives and other weapons are ok. If you are 18yr and older, you are allowed to OC a firearm and that includes loaded firearms. As long as they are in plain sight, then they are ok. Here is the code you want to reference: http://leg1.state.va.us/cgi-bin/legp504.exe?000+cod+18.2-308 If you are not comfortable OC, then the weapons must be "secured" and unloaded. Secured could be locked in a soft side pistol case. The lock could bea $2 lock and nothing fancy. IMO, the magazines can be loaded but not in the firearm. It may be a good idea to separate the mags/ammo from the actual firearm, but I haven't seen any rules saying so. It is preferable that they all be in the trunk.

Well if it's an AMC theater, I don't think they are gun friendly. I do believe there are signs posted and sometimes they have LEOs providing security. CC at your own risk, OC will probably not be tolerated.

S&W 910S

imported post

Question: We have been talking about the open carrying of firearms at age 18, does that also include handguns, and if so where is that cited?

roscoe13

Campaign Veteran
imported post

S&W 910S wrote:
Question: We have been talking about the open carrying of firearms at age 18, does that also include handguns, and if so where is that cited?
Laws don't tell you what you can do, they tell you what you can't. There's no law in VA that says you can't open carry a handgun at 18, therefore, it's legal.