• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

I need to see your permit...

Mainsail

imported post

I was expecting it to be just another normal day here in Tacoma. I went for a coffee at the usual place and read a few forums from my laptop, including posting to this one, and then after an hour or so I walked back to the car. After I dropped the laptop in the trunk, I decided to head over the Bridge of Glass to the marina by the Museum of Glass. After admiring the boats and enjoying the warm sun I headed up the ramp to the street level (I had come down those pain-in-the-ass shallow steps). At the top I noticed two people with bright yellow shirts emblazoned with SECURITY on them. They took one look at me and headed down the stairs away from me. Huh, whatever.

Well, only moments later up the stairs comes your friend and mine, Officer Olsen. Thankfully he decided to drop the ‘Little Hitler’ approach he used last time and just talk to me like a normal person, which I appreciated. He asked how I was doing, and then asked if I had my permit on me. He asked if he could see it, I told him no, that he had already done it about six months ago (actually it was nine months). He asked if I was the same guy, I affirmed. He said he didn’t recognize me and that he deals with a lot of different people which is understandable I guess. He asked to check it again and then I could be on my way. I asked if I were being detained, he said no but that I was “causing some alarm”. He asked for my permit again and I realized that we have to show it when asked, but also realized it was still up in the visor of the car from last week, so I declined.

He pressed it again and I told him that we’d already been through all this, and he again claimed he didn’t remember. He then claimed he wanted to check the expiration date because he didn’t remember when it expired, reminded me that they have an expiration date, and then I could be on my way. I asked if I could be on my way anyway, and asked if I were being detained. Without answering he again asked if he could check the expiration date. Well, I began to realize this was an exercise in futility since I didn’t have it with me, when one of the other two officers that were standing there called him over. I suppose he was a supervisor but I didn’t get his name or rank. The third officer asked, “What’s with the hostility sir?” That was odd, since I had been nothing less than polite the whole time, even while I was firmly asking if I were being detained. I told this officer that I had already been through this, with him [Olsen] and that it was ridiculous. I reminded him that I couldn’t be detained unless I was committing a crime, which we all knew I was not. Then the supervisor told me I was good to go and that open carry was legal in Washington. I walked back to the car and headed home. I was ‘not detained’ for about six or seven minutes.

In hindsight I suppose I should have just told him I didn’t have the permit when I realized it was in the car, but I was also somewhat irritated that Tacoma seems to insist that open carry requires a permit. It also bugs me that, even though he admitted that open carry was legal and that I wasn’t being detained, he kept asking over and over to see my permit. Additionally, for someone who didn’t remember me (despite all the big to-do we had last spring) he wanted to see the permit because he “couldn’t remember the expiration date”. The other cop with the dumb question about why I was being hostile, when I was going out of my way to be polite to an officer that lied to me and later to his sergeant in a written statement, was puzzling as well. The statement that I was ‘causing alarm’ was pretty alarming to me since I was watching everyone closely for just that. I think, again in hindsight, that it was the museum security that made the call and the few people down there didn’t think anything of it. I would have to get the dispatch tapes to be sure though.

nathan

imported post

Why would you have to show him your license to carry a concealed pistol? If you are open carrying then you don't need the permit, if you don't need to carry the permit how would you show it to him?

joeroket

imported post

nathan wrote:
Why would you have to show him your license to carry a concealed pistol? If you are open carrying then you don't need the permit, if you don't need to carry the permit how would you show it to him?

I second this. You are only required to show it to an officer upon demand when you are required to have it per rcw 9.41.050. You were not carrying concealed as stated in that rcw so you had no requirement by law to provide it to him.

Also I call BS that he didn't recognize you as every officer I know remembers people that they have had contact with that has had a weapon on thier person. If he truly did not remember then he should not be on the streets for safety reasons.

cato

imported post

File another complaint. Make his brass work, they'll eventually get sick of him causing them work over this non issue. Every time he look cross eyed at you file another complaint.

Mike

Site Co-Founder
imported post

If you had remembered that you did not have the permit on your person in time, you could have done sort of a Columbo routine - "Ahhhh, oh, a, officer, ya know, I don't happen to have my permit to conceal on me today, ah, sorry. Fortunately for all of us I am not, ahhh,concealing right now, so you don't have to issue me a summons, and I promise not to conceal 'till I have my permit on me. Is there, a, ya know, anything else I can do for you fellers:D?"

Sometimes things go a bit easier with a slight amount of cooperation/humorous interaction but without giving in to over-enthusiastic policing. In the brief exchange, the officers could ascertain that you were not intoxicated or acting manic depressive, not being a total dick about not showing the permit as you don't have it, etc.

Just a thought.

Mainsail

imported post

Olsen never detained me, nor was he forcefully or dishonestly trying to compel me to comply with his request. I DO doubt he was being honest about remembering me from last spring. As near as I can tell, he was only investigating in response to a call from museum security. I have the feeling that he was being a bit repetitive in his request for my permit because he was trying to save face for himself and TPD in the eyes of the security people. They were hovering nearby waiting for me to get jacked up, and followed me from a distance after I left.

I can accept that the police need to do a job; investigate complaints. He should, at the moment he noticed that no laws were being broken, concluded that there was no crime to investigate and not bothered me. That would make me want to complain, however, I see a pattern here. The last time I was stopped was at the coffee shop, remember? The Sgt there also wanted to see my permit. So now I’m wondering if that was what they were instructed to do in such a situation.

Right now I don't know what doing anything 'legal' would accomplish.

sv_libertarian

State Researcher
imported post

I agree not time for "legal" stuff, but it can't hurt to have a letter on file from a lawyer about this. If nothing else it will start building a case for systematic harrassment or may force the TPD to start looking at OC in a real world manner.

I'm glad this encounter went so much smoother for you than others. Maybe they are slowly learning...

cato

imported post

File another complaint already. Make the brass work. And it officially documents this needless line of questioning about a permit which is not required. And it helps toset the stage for a deprivation of rights and or harassment suit should these events continue(IMO).

amlevin

imported post

sv_libertarian wrote:
If nothing else it will start building a case for systematic harrassment
Not necessarily. The Department can claim that they stop All people open carrying when called by third parties such as the Security Personnel in this case.

Harassment would only be the case if they only stopped and "didn't detain" only Mainsail.

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
imported post

I'm with, Cato. File the complaint.

One angle we don't often discuss here is the declaration that you do not consent to the encounter. We often discuss refusing consent to searches, and refusing consent to seizures, but we rarely discuss consent to a seizure of the person.

One option is to just tell them you don't consent to the encounter. Its a variation of "am I free to go?"They can't evade that declaration the way they can evade answering whether you're free to go. If they so much as ask one more question, it seems to me,then they are declaring a non-consensual encounter a.k.a. detention. Of course a court is probably going to consider all the circumstances; but it builds the case that either they thought they had grounds for a non-consensual encounter, or they were deliberately ignoring your 4th Amendment rights in trying to get you to talk. I don't see how they can escape either of those two alternatives. What arethey going to say?

Of course, if you refuse consent at the outset, you don't get useful information upon which to base a complaint. Maybe refuse consent after a minute or two of conversation where you get ridiculous requests to see your CCW while your're OCing, or ridiculous reasons for the stop.

I completely agree with you that upon seeing no crime he should have left you alone.

Make yourself dangerous to their personnel file. They'll leave you alone.

Thundar

imported post

Mainsail wrote:
The last time I was stopped was at the coffee shop, remember? The Sgt there also wanted to see my permit.
Next time they ask for your permit while you are in OC mode just whip out your pocket edition of the Constitution and Bil of Rights. Tell them to go to the 2A tab.

Trigger Dr

imported post

If you are OC, leave your CPL in the car. Tell them "I don't have a permit". (you don't, you have a license.)

divebomb

imported post

The aspect that I find the most humorous about this (actually there are a couple) is that you failed to notice that there were witnesses to your run in with "the law" this day. I was one of the ...yes....googly eyed people that have a hard time minding my own business. I overheard your "politeness" to Officer Olsen, and I must admit...I don't think your mama taught you exactly what that means. You might want to re think your side of the story bucko..I also noticed the "trembling" of your hand when you reached for your cell phone. Now, I think it's quite entertaining to listen to you people bitch about the cops questioning you as you rattle off your memorized RCW codes. But I believe it was YOU sir who walked to your car (a crown Vic with tinted windows) carrying a huge weapon on your hip (are we making up in size something we are lacking else where?) Probably listening to your police scanner to see if they had mentioned you. Was it something in your childhood that made you want all this attention? Does it make you feel like a cop..big and important to walk around with a gun on your hip for all the world to see? Who else finds it amusing that you emulate the people you make fun of...Cops. Oh wait...haha..I bet your one of those people that tried with all their might to become a cop, but it was probably some morbid part of your past that stopped the process cold, like being an arrogant jerk perhaps?? Or was it rape?? Oh..I know...you touch little kid pee pee's huh? That's why now your stuck in the sad sad realization of driving around in your wanna be cop car, listening to the police scanner, hoping the people that see you with your weapon on your hip will think your a cop?....an undercover FBI agent?.....wow...I wish I could be even half as cool as that..

sv_libertarian

State Researcher
imported post

Do-not-feed-the-troll.PNG

TechnoWeenie

imported post

divebomb wrote:
The aspect that I find the most humorous about this (actually there are a couple) is that you failed to notice that there were witnesses to your run in with "the law" this day. I was one of the ...yes....googly eyed people that have a hard time minding my own business.  I overheard your "politeness" to Officer Olsen, and I must admit...I don't think your mama taught you exactly what that means. You might want to re think your side of the story bucko.. I also noticed the "trembling" of your hand when you reached for your cell phone. Now, I think it's quite entertaining to listen to you people bitch about the cops questioning you as you rattle off your memorized RCW codes. But I believe it was YOU sir who walked to your car (a crown Vic with tinted windows) carrying a huge weapon on your hip (are we making up in size something we are lacking else where?) Probably listening to your police scanner to see if they had mentioned you. Was it something in your childhood that made you want all this attention? Does it make you feel like a cop..big and important to walk around with a gun on your hip for all the world to see? Who else finds it amusing that you emulate the people you make fun of...Cops. Oh wait...haha..I bet your one of those people that tried with all their might to become a cop, but it was probably some morbid part of your past that stopped the process cold, like being an arrogant jerk perhaps?? Or was it rape?? Oh..I know...you touch little kid pee pee's huh? That's why now your stuck in the sad sad realization of driving around in your wanna be cop car, listening to the police scanner, hoping the people that see you with your weapon on your hip will think your a cop?....an undercover FBI agent?.....wow...I wish I could be even half as cool as that..

So, which officer/security guard were you?

I hope you do realize that when you sign up, post, and access this site that it logs your IP address, your IP address is retrievable through your ISP, Ie. Comcast, Qwest,etc. and can be traced back to a user name complete with all billing details such as name and address. Furthermore, any 'it wasn't me' defense can be shattered by retrieval of logs to sites you've visited. Kind've hard to say 'I didn't do it' when you logged into an email account, and checked your bank account balance, right before you posted here.