• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Interesting info from Intercity Transit

sv_libertarian

State Researcher
imported post

An operator for IT told me that all operators have been made aware that it is legal to OC on the bus, and to transport cased longarms and ammo. That's the good news. The bad news is that he told me IT will try and get the state to allow them to return to their old policies. Below is the letter I wrote to their director Mike Harbour. Once I confirm IT understands the legality of OC, I will have an OC report on the bus here in Oly...

Hi,
I spoke with one of your operators who told me that IT has informed all operators that state law allows for transport of firearms on buses and that the wearing of a sidearm either concealed or open with a valid concealed weapons permit is legal. I was also told that IT will attempt to try and take legal steps to ensure that citizens can be barred from lawfully transporting/carrying firearms on the bus.

I would point out to you that as a municipal corporation, IT is subject to state preemption laws (RCW 9.41.290) regarding firearms. Also RCW 9.91.025 already addresses firearms on transit vehicles or property. The State Constitution also carefully protects the rights of citizens to bear arms for personal protection. This being said, I would suggest IT's limited dollars may be best spent elsewhere other than legal action.

I do appreciate that IT now has a more complete understanding of the lawful transport and possession of firearms on transit property. King County Metro, Pierce Transit, Community Transit, Everett Transit and Sound Transit have all adopted policies in line with state law. It is futile for IT to fight this.

Thank you for your time.

Steve Coffman

amlevin

imported post

I doubt that IT would be successul in obtaining any "exemption" or having the law changed to allow a "patchwork" of laws across the State prohibiting (or allowing, for that matter) firearms on public transit.

The reason there is a Preemption Statute is to prevent what previously passed for Firearm regulation in Washington State.