• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Reasons against getting concealed carry permit?

gridboy

imported post

I'm thinking of getting a concealed carry permit (UT,FL). Are there
any reasons for not getting it? I suppose more of my information goes
into more databases. Any other downsides to having a concealed-carry
permit, while open carrying? Seems like a lot of folks have concealed
carry permits...

gridboy

Custodian

imported post

In NC, they [CHP,CCW,CWP] also double as on-demand buying permits. No need to talk to the local sheriff when you need/want to purchase, just buy and fly. It also helps avoid the myriad of transportation laws with firearms. In the liberal hellmouth known as Chapel Hill, it helps to conceal as the local law enforcement doesn't mind arresting or detaining you for open carrying even though state laws trump local ordinances. They have no trouble making an example out of you, especially since most of the town is either University property, State/County or Memorial Hospital.

At the old town Apple Chill festival, a gang war erupted with members from other places [Durham and Raleigh] into an old-fashioned Saturday afternoon shootout. They ended up just permanently cancelling the festival after that. The local PD? I don't recall them hanging out at the festival. It was better to be armed than dead. My friends were there, packed heat, never had to use it, but they saw gangstas with Glocks and AK-47s under long coats, however, said gang members were high tailing it out of there too.

This is a recap of the aftermath.

http://townhall.townofchapelhill.org/agendas/2007/05/07/3a2/chh_apple_chill_editorial.htm

This is what happens in pompous university towns and will continue to happen. I was born in Chapel Hill [NCMH/UNC-Hospital] still live near there, but I stay the heck away, as I have no love for any place that doesn't respect our rights.

Now Chapel Hill is scared and doesn't know what to do. Not surprised, really.

Getting OT, So how can I answer your question?
You value your life? You value not being arrested for improperly transporting firearms? You don't want to come to a prison [I work in a Max facility]? You want to be able to carry what you need to deliver yourself or a loved one from evil? Want to buy at anytime without sucking up to the local sheriff? Need to go condition white some days? Not carrying a full sized sidearm? Want to put on a coat in the winter but still be strapped? Or wear a suit and keep the nickel plated little wonder under your blazer? Want the ultimate form of close self-defense other than getting a bodyguard or channeling the spirit of Bruce Lee?

Then maybe, just maybe a Concealed Carry Permit is for you.

Hmm, downsides? in NC, You must always carry your license with your CCP. You must ALWAYS tell a law enforcement officer you have one on you immediate if/when approached on foot or in vehicle. Consequences of not doing so is being stripped of your carry rights or possibly 2A altogether. You can't carry concealed into a financial institution, however, you can open carry into one. Can't be armed at funerals or alcohol-serving restaurants. You can forget movie theaters too or any other place that charges admission. Pretty much in NC you need to be a good obedient serf, I mean citizen to maintain and keep your CCP. It is proof of a legislated right and duty as an American, however, I don't need a weapons charge hassle and I really got it for the buying power.

However, your state maybe different. So...

No money back guarantee, void where prohibited, including in Illinois and Wisconsin.

deepdiver

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Outside of what you mentioned and other "on principle" arguments against it I see only one reason not to. Most places it is a pain in the butt. Depending on your state though, OC may be as big of or a bigger pain in the butt. Basically, making a commitment (and make no mistake that it is indeed a commitment) to daily carry a firearm in modern America is a pain in the butt.

To CC you need to think every day about how you are going to dress and conceal that firearm. For most that is a bigger deal in warmer climates or summer time than in the cold. You need to spend the time doing the research on, and then the money to purchase, good holsters that fit your preferred carry method and clothing preferences. You are probably going to waste money in the process as you decide how you prefer to CC. Every state has some places you cannot CC so you have to have a plan on what you are going to do with your firearm at those places. You have to select a firearm that is the proper size for your body and preferred CC method to be able to conceal it. I find that people who see you OC either ask you about it or don't. People you see a lot who don't know you CC and are unsure about it or opposed to it, if you are printing one day or if you accidently expose the pistol, tend to get pretty excited that you didn't tell them so the hidden nature of CC can backfire in certain situations. Since you didn't ask for reasons to do it I'll skip those.

And yes I CC daily because I am usually not able to OC in daily life and the above are just things I have found and experienced. If I had to make a choice between always CC or always OC, with equivalent restrictions on when and where it were allowed, I would choose CC for practical reasons. I would prefer equal legal ability to do whichever I preferred when I preferred it. So, the above comments are from someone who has no axe to grind either way on the issue.

LEO 229

imported post

In Virginia CC holders can buy more than one gun a month!!

More options while being armed.

No fear of getting caught with a concealed handgun accidentally covered up.

Nelson_Muntz

Campaign Veteran
imported post

LEO 229 wrote:

+1000 on all three points! These are definitely the handiest reasons to have one.

The reason not to: If you hate filing 'permission' with the guberment.

ETA: half a thought posted :?

Venator

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter
imported post

gridboy wrote:
I'm thinking of getting a concealed carry permit (UT,FL). Are there
any reasons for not getting it? I suppose more of my information goes
into more databases. Any other downsides to having a concealed-carry
permit, while open carrying? Seems like a lot of folks have concealed
carry permits...

gridboy
What state? In Michigan it makes transporting a handgun in a vehicle MUCH easier. Also with a CPL you can carry someones else legally owned handgun, which is a nice option. OC without a CPL you can only carry guns registered to you. Cost can be an issue. Also a minor criminal record can disqualify you from getting a CPL, but not from open carry. Your state may vary.

Sheldon

imported post

Venator wrote:

What state? In Michigan it makes transporting a handgun in a vehicle MUCH easier. Also with a CPL you can carry someones else legally owned handgun, which is a nice option. OC without a CPL you can only carry guns registered to you. Cost can be an issue. Also a minor criminal record can disqualify you from getting a CPL, but not from open carry. Your state may vary.
What he said that and having more optionsis always agood thing.

mercutio545

imported post

LEO 229 wrote:

These are great points. I won't be able to take my AK with me on hikes if I don't have a CHP (I feel safer knowing that if a pissed off bear wants to eat me, I can feed him 30 rounds of 7.62x39 instad of 9 rounds of .45 auto :dude:).

The way I see it is, although I may not always be carrying concealed, it's better to have a CHP (in VA at least), just so there is no doubt that what/where you're carrying is legal.

LEO 229

imported post

mercutio545 wrote:
LEO 229 wrote:

These are great points. I won't be able to take my AK with me on hikes if I don't have a CHP (I feel safer knowing that if a pissed off bear wants to eat me, I can feed him 30 rounds of 7.62x39 instad of 9 rounds of .45 auto :dude:).

The way I see it is, although I may not always be carrying concealed, it's better to have a CHP (in VA at least), just so there is no doubt that what/where you're carrying is legal.
So many complain that they should not have to ask permission to CC in Virginia.

So many are ticked off that they have to submit an application and provide experience and proof of residence. Anddo not get me started on the SSN non-disclosure.. Geezz!! :D

But the state does control who gets a permit and with good reason. Some people out there should not be secretly armed and we the peopleshould know when they are so we can run the other way. Criminals are a different matter.

The big bonus is that the CC holder does get to do so much more than citizens that do not have one or are disqualified from getting a CC permit.

Heor she has been checked out and it has been determined that they are not a chronic law breaker, drug user, or drunkard.

So because they are generally law abiding citizens... they get a few extra permissions others do not.

Is this right? Should the state be allowed to restrict people in this way?

People will differ on that answer. I think it is likely in the best interest of the people as a whole and not the individual that these rules are in place.

UTOC-45-44

imported post

LEO 229 wrote:
mercutio545 wrote:
LEO 229 wrote:

So many complain that they should not have to ask permission to CC in Virginia.

So many are ticked off that they have to submit an application and provide experience and proof of residence. Anddo not get me started on the SSN non-disclosure.. Geezz!! :D

But the state does control who gets a permit and with good reason. Some people out there should not be secretly armed and we the peopleshould know when they are so we can run the other way. Criminals are a different matter.

The big bonus is that the CC holder does get to do so much more than citizens that do not have one or are disqualified from getting a CC permit.

Heor she has been checked out and it has been determined that they are not a chronic law breaker, drug user, or drunkard.

So because they are generally law abiding citizens... they get a few extra permissions others do not.

Is this right? Should the state be allowed to restrict people in this way?

"Anddo not get me started on the SSN non-disclosure.. Geezz!! :D"

It not so much the Social Security Numer..., IT'S the SERIAL NUMBER that you take a peeker at when I turn my head away;):what::lol:.

Ain't that right LEO:celebrate

TJ

LEO 229

imported post

UTOC-45-44 wrote:
"Anddo not get me started on the SSN non-disclosure.. Geezz!! :D"

It not so much the Social Security Numer..., IT'S the SERIAL NUMBER that you take a peeker at when I turn my head away;):what::lol:.

Ain't that right LEO:celebrate

TJ
I do not think it was the intended purpose when they began the SSN system. But it is a great way to know this John Doe from some other John Doe. :p

Yes... it has become a serial number that will identify YOU! There are so many systems where it already exists.

Credit Reporting Agencies, NCIC, VCIN, and the DMV just to name a few.It used to be on our license in Virginia and I still see several people carrying the SSN card in their wallets.

But criminals have now found a great way to exploit it so it had become necessary to keep it hidden from public view. What a shame.....

So I do not think the fear of releasing it should begovernment related.... I would fear the citizens.

UTOC-45-44

imported post

Custodian wrote:
In NC, they [CHP,CCW,CWP] also double as on-demand buying permits. No need to talk to the local sheriff when you need/want to purchase, just buy and fly. It also helps avoid the myriad of transportation laws with firearms. In the liberal hellmouth known as Chapel Hill, it helps to conceal as the local law enforcement doesn't mind arresting or detaining you for open carrying even though state laws trump local ordinances. They have no trouble making an example out of you, especially since most of the town is either University property, State/County or Memorial Hospital.

At the old town Apple Chill festival, a gang war erupted with members from other places [Durham and Raleigh] into an old-fashioned Saturday afternoon shootout. They ended up just permanently cancelling the festival after that. The local PD? I don't recall them hanging out at the festival. It was better to be armed than dead. My friends were there, packed heat, never had to use it, but they saw gangstas with Glocks and AK-47s under long coats, however, said gang members were high tailing it out of there too.

http://townhall.townofchapelhill.org/agendas/2007/05/07/3a2/chh_apple_chill_editorial.htm

This is what happens in pompous university towns and will continue to happen. I was born in Chapel Hill [NCMH/UNC-Hospital] still live near there, but I stay the heck away, as I have no love for any place that doesn't respect our rights.

You value your life? You value not being arrested for improperly transporting firearms? You don't want to come to a prison [I work in a Max facility]? You want to be able to carry what you need to deliver yourself or a loved one from evil? Want to buy at anytime without sucking up to the local sheriff? Need to go condition white some days? Not carrying a full sized sidearm? Want to put on a coat in the winter but still be strapped? Or wear a suit and keep the nickel plated little wonder under your blazer? Want the ultimate form of close self-defense other than getting a bodyguard or channeling the spirit of Bruce Lee?

Hmm, downsides? in NC, You must always carry your license with your CCP. You must ALWAYS tell a law enforcement officer you have one on you immediate if/when approached on foot or in vehicle. Consequences of not doing so is being stripped of your carry rights or possibly 2A altogether. You can't carry concealed into a financial institution, however, you can open carry into one. Can't be armed at funerals or alcohol-serving restaurants. You can forget movie theaters too or any other place that charges admission. Pretty much in NC you need to be a good obedient serf, I mean citizen to maintain and keep your CCP. It is proof of a legislated right and duty as an American, however, I don't need a weapons charge hassle and I really got it for the buying power.

No money back guarantee, void where prohibited, including in Illinois and Wisconsin.

Ah, come ON. Are they SERIOUS???:cuss:

They decided NOT to have a TRADITIONAL festival due to THAT???

It's like saying...-"Yeah,I was in a car accident. Horrible experience I will NEVER be in a car again.

That's the most coward city I have ever heard of.( Hope I didn't offend anyone. Not my intent)

I wonder how many Schools, Churches and other facilities that would be closed to similar events if the mentality was the same. Oh MY.:banghead:

Just my .44

TJ

CrossFire

imported post

In Texas no CHL=No Carry at all. The state took away our God given rights about 130 years ago and are just now grudgingly giving them back as little at a time as possible.

cato

imported post

Vermont and Alaska have it right.Nooneshould not have to provetheir innocense to the state before exercising the most basic human right of self defense tool possession.

I very seriously doubtCC prohibitedlaws have affected crime at all in a positive maner. And they certainly have discouraged the law abiding from being safer.

There are plenty of laws which govern criminal action. If a penal code deterentis to work at all it would be those stronger penalties alone and not those of laws which ciminalize possession by persons who are not otherwise inclined toward those acts to begin with.

sv_libertarian

State Researcher
imported post

I agree with Cato. However until Washington wants to join the other two civilized states in the union, our CPL is pretty easy. $60. Fingerprints. Shall issue WITHIN 30 days. Need one to carry loaded in a vehicle.
No gun rationing in this state either.

Custodian

imported post

UTOC-45-44 wrote:
Custodian wrote:

Ah, come ON. Are they SERIOUS???:cuss:

They decided NOT to have a TRADITIONAL festival due to THAT???

It's like saying...-"Yeah,I was in a car accident. Horrible experience I will NEVER be in a car again.

That's the most coward city I have ever heard of.( Hope I didn't offend anyone. Not my intent)

I wonder how many Schools, Churches and other facilities that would be closed to similar events if the mentality was the same. Oh MY.:banghead:

Just my .44

TJ
Chapel Hill? Yes very serious. Another limp-wristed liberal town paid in full with guberment dollas. And a coward college town? Your damned right they are. I'm from the place and I don't think you were critical or harsh enough! Post something else about the rat-bast***s.