Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Must Have Survival Weapons

Post imported post

Sometime in a near or distant future, some *****, yo-yo, or moron unleashes a force that causes a post-apocalyptic situation. You of course are an armed citizen trying to eek out an existance in this new phase of life on earth. Drop all pretences of concealed carry; No small handguns. Only full sidearms, machine guns, carbines and rifles [and possibly some exotics like flamethrowers or direct-energy prelude prototype weapons] are going to get you through this.

So what are you carrying? [list firearm and cartridge]

Sidearm:

Smith & Wesson’s .460 XVR Magnum Revolver

In the dark future I would definently not want to deal with Tap-Rack or anything just point and boom, you've blown a hole in something. [I think I've heard that Ammu-Nation commercial once too many times]

Rifle:

AK-47 [with scope and bayonet] or some variation (the AK-107/8 looks pretty good]

According to the Richard Venola, the editor of Combat Arms magazine was quoted on the Military Channel's Top Ten Combat Rifles. "If I had to go to a planet, an unknown planet and I was allowed to take one firearm, it would be an AK-47. When Western civilization melts down I want an AK-47."
    By the by, it was considered to be the top combat rifle in the world.

"...Is The Lord of War..." according to Dr. Kristian Gustafson, Royal Military Academy - Sandhurst

At the end of the world, what are you packin'?
    Subsisto tutus. Subsisto secundus emendatio.

Tyrants come in all shapes and sizes, as do those who do their bidding. Anyone who tells you that the threat of tyranny is long over, is either a fool, an enemy, or BOTH.

Post imported post

Sometimes it's not only fun to play these hypotheticals, but I think they are also important for the purposes of open discussion to gain ideas and advantages should a "situation" ever come to grasp.

However, there are no details to your hypothetical and the situation really does matter as to what tools or weapons one would use in any particular situation.. Is it a nuclear strike? Are there huntable poulations of gameanimals and fish or maybe even access to food storage or grocery stores, first aid supplies, water, etc..? Is the air breathable, or is there an airborne virus that wiped most people out? Did the earth tilt, was there an ice age, or is it more of a civil disorder situation like an earthquake and rioting?

In any earth ending or major unrest situation, a large caliber revolver would not be a suitable survival tool in my opinion but the AK-47 would and could suffice. It is a combat rifle as well as a hunting weapon. I have hunted with an SKS before, so thiscaliber has some added value and is proven in an array of gross environments.

In most cases, I would say an accurate, well-constructed,combat semi-auto handgun, and a rifle capable of firing many rounds per magazine and still able to provide enough punch to take game and bea popularcaliber for easier-to-find ammunition.
    Peace through superior firepower

Luke 11:21
    "When a strong man, fully armed, guards his own house, his possessions are undisturbed.

Post imported post

I second (edit: "third") the AK:

Ain't she purrrrrrrty?

If I had hours of time on my hands to clean the weapon, then I might take this one along too:

However, I'm a lot more secure knowing that I can just piss down the barrel of the AK, make a knot in my shoelace, and pull it through to clean it.

Post imported post

This is an old picture, it actually has OD rail covers, an OD vertical forward grip, an OD modular rear grip, etc... I'll get an updated picture eventually.

Anyway, for it's low maintenance, hard-hitting round, moderately light weight, and all around reliability, the AK is the perfect rifle for the collapse of western civilization. It can operate reliably under all weather conditions,be itrain, snow, flood, mud,or showers of sulfur. This rifle is more rugged thanDaniel Booneand morehated by the liberals than Dick Cheney.

As for a pistol, I like my Sig P226. I like it for the "to hell and back reliability". It has never failed me, and like the AK47's ammunition, 9mm is very easy to find. It can carry a lot of ammunition, and it's reliable.

Post imported post

I have been thinking of that scenario since before I started acquiring modern firearms in the last few years. I have at least 1 of the following:

9mm handgun
    .45 handgun
    12ga tactical shotgun

I am either in process of acquiring or have on my list to acquire in the next 18 months:

.40 handgun
    Ak-47
    AR-15 in 5.56
    .308 or .30-06 scoped rifle

For me it is a really simple philosophy. Firstly, I want quality abusable combat weapons. Pretty is irrelevant at this point, but after I build the basics, there are prettier, more accurate but often not as durable/abusable firearms I want. For example, while my buddy's cutomized Kimber Ultra Carry II is a far more accurate and consistent shooter than my XD45, he and I agree that if we had to crawl around in the sand or mud and not have a cleaning kit available for some time, we would both rather be carrying the XD as it is far less abuse sensitive. Same reason many want an AK-47 instead of an AR-15.

Secondly, I want to cover the most common calibers. If SHTF, and all I have is a .454 Casull with me, guess how many people I am going to randomly run into who happen to have extra ammo for it? Now, realistically, my fiancee and I are not going to be carrying all those weapons with us if we have to bug out. Depending on the crisis or disaster, I am going to have to make choices between the firearms based on numerous factors. But with those common calibers I believe that I will have far more freedom to actually make a real choice about what we take with us rather than grabbing what is available.
    Bob Owens @ Bearing Arms (paraphrased): "These people aren't against violence; they're very much in favor of violence. They're against armed resistance."

Post imported post

Already got my AK, carrying my 45, both with FMJ, cause if it's the apocalypse, I'm not so worried about a lawsuit from over-penetration.......more so with absolute reliability. Plus, hard-ball 45 did the military just fine for many years with the 1911......not doing as well now with FMJ 9mm.......Plus I can stock up on more FMJ than HP since it's cheaper.

So yeah, the AK with 3-4 mags of 7.62 and the 45 with 2 extra mags ready to go. And of course much more ammo than that in my trunk, a case worth for both, at least.......

Post imported post

I have a SW MP .40 Compact. It will be my daily carry and be the gun that is there when **** does hit the fan. I plan on picking up a 22 rifle to hunt with in zombie apocolypse and a AR-15 in 308 (for people and big game).

Good for training i also have a .22 browning buckmark. I could use that to train up friends or survivors.

Post imported post

A zombie attack is how I justify all my firearms purchases. I also use the
    zombie attack criteria to evaluate guns: can the gun do reasonable head
    shots on many shambling attackers? I think that translates to other uses
    pretty well. I like 9mm semiauto pistols for this, but I need to also
    pick up a cricket bat...

gridboy

State Researcher

Post imported post

Ruger 10/22 with folding stock
    .357 revolver
    Mosin Nagant 91/30 (That baby SHOOTS!)

However if I had to grab and go, it would be the revolver and the nagant. I keep assorted types of ammo easily reachable for both.

Campaign Veteran

Post imported post

You might also want to consult the experts:

http://zombiehunters.org/who.php

http://www.randomhouse.com/crown/zombiesurvivalguide/

...and another:

http://www.zombiesurvivalwiki.com/pa...ves&t=anon

I would choose a .22LR and .22LR handgun as backup...I could carry LOTS of .22LR ammo (thousands of rounds)...and you'd probably need it.

All the bullet has to do is get throughONE side of the head, it doesn't need to blow said head clean off.

-- John D.

(formerly of Colorado Springs, CO)

Post imported post

Post imported post

Damn it! The zombies keep eating me before I get all my ducks in a row.
    He wore his gun outside his pants for all the honest world to see. Pancho & Lefty

The millions of people, armed in the holy cause of liberty, and in such a country as that which we possess, are invincible by any force which our enemy can send against us....There is no retreat but in submission and slavery! ...The war is inevitable–and let it come! I repeat it, Sir, let it come …………. PATRICK HENRY speech 1776

Post imported post

Answer every question about open carry in Michigan you ever had with one convenient and free book- http://libertyisforeveryone.com/open-carry-resources/

The complete and utter truth can be challenged from every direction and it will always hold up. Accordingly there are few greater displays of illegitimacy than to attempt to impede free thought and communication.

State Researcher

Post imported post

4 days max so far. Tough game. Anyway I'm kinda torn between my .40 (or a .45 when I get one) and an AK-47 type weapon, or the strictly .22 idea.

I would definitely want to have a suppressed ruger 10/22 with a scope, though. I would really prefer to have my sidearm suppressed as well, actually. Then there's the shotgun. Hmmm. It's tough, since a single person w/o a vehicle couldn't practically carry 2 or 3 long guns.

Ok so how about this. Large caliber semi-auto sidearm (my .40, or a .45), sub-machine gun (like an MP5), and a ruger 10/22. Yeah, that seems good to me. All with suppressors, of course.

Post imported post

Could I please have a Blackbery, A Polpiels Pocket Fisherman and an Easy Button.
    He wore his gun outside his pants for all the honest world to see. Pancho & Lefty

The millions of people, armed in the holy cause of liberty, and in such a country as that which we possess, are invincible by any force which our enemy can send against us....There is no retreat but in submission and slavery! ...The war is inevitable–and let it come! I repeat it, Sir, let it come …………. PATRICK HENRY speech 1776

Post imported post

I second all the above. If the easy buttons fails though, I want 4-AK's, 2 tons ammo and a Bradley vehicle towing a buffalo! Kinda hope the easy button doesn't work, I'd love to have the alternatives!!!

Founder's Club Member - Moderator longwatch's Avatar

Post imported post

AK and a Glock, maybe a supressed .22 and Mossberg 500.

Post imported post

Custodian wrote:
    Sometime in a near or distant future, some *****, yo-yo, or moron unleashes a force that causes a post-apocalyptic situation. You of course are an armed citizen trying to eek out an existance in this new phase of life on earth. Drop all pretences of concealed carry; No small handguns. Only full sidearms, machine guns, carbines and rifles [and possibly some exotics like flamethrowers or direct-energy prelude prototype weapons] are going to get you through this.

So what are you carrying? [list firearm and cartridge]

Sidearm:

Smith & Wesson’s .460 XVR Magnum Revolver

In the dark future I would definently not want to deal with Tap-Rack or anything just point and boom, you've blown a hole in something. [I think I've heard that Ammu-Nation commercial once too many times]

Rifle:

AK-47 [with scope and bayonet] or some variation (the AK-107/8 looks pretty good]

According to the Richard Venola, the editor of Combat Arms magazine was quoted on the Military Channel's Top Ten Combat Rifles. "If I had to go to a planet, an unknown planet and I was allowed to take one firearm, it would be an AK-47. When Western civilization melts down I want an AK-47."
    By the by, it was considered to be the top combat rifle in the world.

"...Is The Lord of War..." according to Dr. Kristian Gustafson, Royal Military Academy - Sandhurst

At the end of the world, what are you packin'?
    Seriously? S&W .460 and AK-47in 5.45 (AK-74) ?? I think in those circumstances I would prefer the most common calibers around--- 9mm, 5.56, .308, 30-06, 12 ga. etc.,and most importantly, .22 LR.
    A. Gold

Failure to comply may result in discipline up to and including termination.
    The free man is a warrior. - Nietzsche "Twilight of the Idols"

Post imported post

I'm of the mind in a SHTF situation ammo resupply, common caliber or not is a thin proposition. If you aren't carrying it, it doesn't exist.

Post imported post

longwatch wrote:
    I'm of the mind in a SHTF situation ammo resupply, common caliber or not is a thin proposition. If you aren't carrying it, it doesn't exist.
    I'm going to have to disagree. In a true SHTF situation, unless you live in some outrageously rural area, you are going to encounter and interact with other people. For the vast majority of people, even those of us who live in pretty rural areas, there are still thousands of other people around, many of them who will be friendlies who may have ammo to trade or share for common defense. Much of it will be in common calibers because, well that is why they call it common.

And how much ammo are you going to carry?

100 rd WWB .45 = 4.5 lbs
    100 rd WWB 9mm = 2.5 lbs
    25 rd 00 buck 12ga = 3.0 lbs

Mossberg 550 7+1 fully loaded (00) = 7.5 lbs
    XD45 13+1 fully loaded (185 gr JHP) = 2.5 lbs
    Sig P228 13+1 fully loaded (124 gr JHP) = 2.0 lbs

I'm not getting the rifles out to weigh them, but they are not going to be super light weight fully loaded either and then you have to add the weight of the mags. If it is just a week or so until order is restored and supplies reach you, probably fine. But if it is a worst case zombie attack, you just aren't going to be able to carry enough ammo on your back for an extended survival period without finding a re-supply source, especially if you have to hunt for food and have to defend your life with gun fire. That is why I am acquiring the most common calibers first. Furthermore, those calibers are in widespread use among the military and LE adding to the re-supply potential.

Just thinking out loud and I do not claim any expertise on the subject. Just speaking from what I see as a common sense side of it based on my experiences thus far in life.
    Bob Owens @ Bearing Arms (paraphrased): "These people aren't against violence; they're very much in favor of violence. They're against armed resistance."

Post imported post

Well for most of us here if we are bunkered down at home ammo isn't going to be a problem. I would guess an average round count per weapon for an OCDO member is in the hundreds at least. We could end up being a source of ammo and possibly weapons for a common defense.

If we are on the road, (this is from my perspective in Virginia, other parts of the country might be different) a stranger will not be looked on with favor, especially an armed one. Think of it this way, if the SHTF would you give ammo in trade with a stranger? Just trying to make contact for a parley could be a life or death proposition.

I'd figure on making do with what I had for as long as possible.

Interesting to contemplate though.

Post imported post

Absolutely all valid points, Longwatch. Being that I live in town and would forsee hiking to the home of one of my friends living outside of town on arable land with a potable water supply and other amenities for survival, I'm thinking in terms of bugging out. Obviously, if one's thoughts are based on staying put, that is an entirely different equation.

Edit: As to ammo on hand, I would bet you are right. For primary carry/defensive weapons, I would guess that most of us are at least in the several hundreds of rounds per weapon. I don't usually have that much in 12ga, but then I don't shoot them much, and even in SHTF, I don't think I'll need more than 100-150 rds of 12ga anyway.

Campaign Veteran

Post imported post

You would probably have to stay put. Once martial law was declared, I suspect all roads in/out of town would be closed (military checkpoints), curfews would be in effect and, even traveling one's own neighborhood might be hazardous with roads blocked by debris, abandoned cars, looters and such...besides the vertically animated cadavers roaming about of course. So if you don't get out of town BEFORE martial law is declared, it'd probably be too late.

Staying home might not be a choice, it might bea requirement.

-- John D.

(formerly of Colorado Springs, CO)

State Researcher

Post imported post

deepdiver wrote:
    Edit: As to ammo on hand, I would bet you are right. For primary carry/defensive weapons, I would guess that most of us are at least in the several hundreds of rounds per weapon. I don't usually have that much in 12ga, but then I don't shoot them much, and even in SHTF, I don't think I'll need more than 100-150 rds of 12ga anyway.
    Wow, I guess I'm not the norm in this case. Money keeps me from having more than I need, so I really only ever have enough to fill my mags, and a few extra rounds left over (by a few I mean like 10-20, MAYBE). My non-carry weapons may or may not have any rounds at all (i.e. my Winchester M70 .308).

Obviously I go to the range on a regular basis, so I purchase ammo to use at the range, then use it at the range. I would really be surprised if the majority of OCDO members, or gun owners in general, kept 100's of surplus rounds "just in case". This would an interesting statistic to have accurately measured, actually..

Post imported post

DreQo wrote:
    deepdiver wrote:
    Wow, I guess I'm not the norm in this case. Money keeps me from having more than I need, so I really only ever have enough to fill my mags, and a few extra rounds left over (by a few I mean like 10-20, MAYBE). My non-carry weapons may or may not have any rounds at all (i.e. my Winchester M70 .308).

Obviously I go to the range on a regular basis, so I purchase ammo to use at the range, then use it at the range. I would really be surprised if the majority of OCDO members, or gun owners in general, kept 100's of surplus rounds "just in case". This would an interesting statistic to have accurately measured, actually..
    +1 I want to have crates of ammo, but I simply can't afford it. I don't make much money, and I have enough trouble being self sufficient without spending hundreds if not thousands of dollars on ammo.

I usually have a little more ammo than it takes to fill all of my mags. The ammo that I do have is quality defense ammo. I purchase ammo when I go to the range.

ETA:

I also want to agree with Longwatch. If the SHTF, the ammo you have is the only ammo you're going to get. I know I'm not sharing or trading my ammo, and I doubt any of you plan to, especially with strangers. So I'm not really expecting anyone to share with me. That is why I want to stock up on loaded mags and extra ammo. The reality is that stores that sell ammo will likely be out of it, and the ammo that is available will not only be VERY expencive, but also hard to get anyone to trade or much less give to you.

Look at it this way. Pretend your only defensive rifle is an AR15 in .223. What if the US banned the production of .223 ammo? Let's say you have 3 1000 round cases of it. That is all the .223 ammo that is currently available, and you don't have a re-loading press. That means that once it is gone, your AR15 is a paper weight. So long story short, you may someday in the future be able toget more .223, but for the time being you can not resupply, and the next time you can is unknown. How willing would you be to share or trade ammo? Realize that the availability of ammo in a SHTF situation is going to be similar to the above hypothetical.

The ammo you have is all that exists. Pack accordingly.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast