• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Must Have Survival Weapons

longwatch

Founder's Club Member - Moderator
imported post

Well for most of us here if we are bunkered down at home ammo isn't going to be a problem. I would guess an average round count per weapon for an OCDO member is in the hundreds at least. We could end up being a source of ammo and possibly weapons for a common defense.

If we are on the road, (this is from my perspective in Virginia, other parts of the country might be different) a stranger will not be looked on with favor, especially an armed one. Think of it this way, if the SHTF would you give ammo in trade with a stranger? Just trying to make contact for a parley could be a life or death proposition.

I'd figure on making do with what I had for as long as possible.

Interesting to contemplate though.

deepdiver

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Absolutely all valid points, Longwatch. Being that I live in town and would forsee hiking to the home of one of my friends living outside of town on arable land with a potable water supply and other amenities for survival, I'm thinking in terms of bugging out. Obviously, if one's thoughts are based on staying put, that is an entirely different equation.

Edit: As to ammo on hand, I would bet you are right. For primary carry/defensive weapons, I would guess that most of us are at least in the several hundreds of rounds per weapon. I don't usually have that much in 12ga, but then I don't shoot them much, and even in SHTF, I don't think I'll need more than 100-150 rds of 12ga anyway.

cloudcroft

Campaign Veteran
El Paso, TX (formerly Colorado Springs, CO)
imported post

You would probably have to stay put. Once martial law was declared, I suspect all roads in/out of town would be closed (military checkpoints), curfews would be in effect and, even traveling one's own neighborhood might be hazardous with roads blocked by debris, abandoned cars, looters and such...besides the vertically animated cadavers roaming about of course. So if you don't get out of town BEFORE martial law is declared, it'd probably be too late.

Staying home might not be a choice, it might bea requirement.

-- John D.

DreQo

State Researcher
imported post

deepdiver wrote:
Edit: As to ammo on hand, I would bet you are right. For primary carry/defensive weapons, I would guess that most of us are at least in the several hundreds of rounds per weapon. I don't usually have that much in 12ga, but then I don't shoot them much, and even in SHTF, I don't think I'll need more than 100-150 rds of 12ga anyway.

Wow, I guess I'm not the norm in this case. Money keeps me from having more than I need, so I really only ever have enough to fill my mags, and a few extra rounds left over (by a few I mean like 10-20, MAYBE). My non-carry weapons may or may not have any rounds at all (i.e. my Winchester M70 .308).

Obviously I go to the range on a regular basis, so I purchase ammo to use at the range, then use it at the range. I would really be surprised if the majority of OCDO members, or gun owners in general, kept 100's of surplus rounds "just in case". This would an interesting statistic to have accurately measured, actually..

expvideo

imported post

DreQo wrote:
deepdiver wrote:

Wow, I guess I'm not the norm in this case. Money keeps me from having more than I need, so I really only ever have enough to fill my mags, and a few extra rounds left over (by a few I mean like 10-20, MAYBE). My non-carry weapons may or may not have any rounds at all (i.e. my Winchester M70 .308).

Obviously I go to the range on a regular basis, so I purchase ammo to use at the range, then use it at the range. I would really be surprised if the majority of OCDO members, or gun owners in general, kept 100's of surplus rounds "just in case". This would an interesting statistic to have accurately measured, actually..

+1 I want to have crates of ammo, but I simply can't afford it. I don't make much money, and I have enough trouble being self sufficient without spending hundreds if not thousands of dollars on ammo.

I usually have a little more ammo than it takes to fill all of my mags. The ammo that I do have is quality defense ammo. I purchase ammo when I go to the range.

ETA:

I also want to agree with Longwatch. If the SHTF, the ammo you have is the only ammo you're going to get. I know I'm not sharing or trading my ammo, and I doubt any of you plan to, especially with strangers. So I'm not really expecting anyone to share with me. That is why I want to stock up on loaded mags and extra ammo. The reality is that stores that sell ammo will likely be out of it, and the ammo that is available will not only be VERY expencive, but also hard to get anyone to trade or much less give to you.

Look at it this way. Pretend your only defensive rifle is an AR15 in .223. What if the US banned the production of .223 ammo? Let's say you have 3 1000 round cases of it. That is all the .223 ammo that is currently available, and you don't have a re-loading press. That means that once it is gone, your AR15 is a paper weight. So long story short, you may someday in the future be able toget more .223, but for the time being you can not resupply, and the next time you can is unknown. How willing would you be to share or trade ammo? Realize that the availability of ammo in a SHTF situation is going to be similar to the above hypothetical.

The ammo you have is all that exists. Pack accordingly.

Doug Huffman

Banned
Washington Island, across Death's Door, Wisconsin,
imported post

I recommend reading some of RAH's stuff, particularly 'Farnham's Freehold'.

I have already bugged out, across Death's Door, with a ferryman gate-keeper. I have a thousand rounds of each of my calibers and no reloading equipment. The most common ammunition here is 12 ga. There is very little rifle ammunition.

No one has been outed as a 'survivalist' but the community's roots are still visible withsome living in rough-log homes, legacy potato fields, fruit trees and the remnants of a fishing industry. The most visible farmer is reported to have purchased $270,000 in fuel last year. If the infrastructure fails and you try to come to the Island, bring a hoe or a scythe, ammo will be the least of your worries.

longwatch

Founder's Club Member - Moderator
imported post

DreQo wrote:
deepdiver wrote:

Obviously I go to the range on a regular basis, so I purchase ammo to use at the range, then use it at the range. I would really be surprised if the majority of OCDO members, or gun owners in general, kept 100's of surplus rounds "just in case". This would an interesting statistic to have accurately measured, actually.
I think you are typical of the majority of gun owners, only about 10-20 rounds on hand per gun. Which is one reason why bartering for ammo will be tough, one would have to get in line with everyone else to get the few rounds that will be available, and then pay the price that ammo will command.

I think if one is careful, 100-200 centerfire rounds, 100 handgun rounds, and 1000 rimfire rounds could last a while and is a reasonable personal stockpile.

Doug Huffman

Banned
Washington Island, across Death's Door, Wisconsin,
imported post

I speculate that .22 rimfire will be the most valuable for sustanance and protection and it is the least 'reloadable.'

For meat, we have about two thousand head of whitetail, a thousand of cattle, sheep and goats for home spun.

One very popular cottage industry is weaving and making looms.

A neighbor collects a particular type of knife that will be versatile and utilitarian in extremis.

We are surrounded by the freshwater sea.

Marco

imported post

And how much ammo are you going to carry?
The dog's (not mine but someone's) will be harnessed to a sled w/my spare boxes of ammo.
G20-10mm and extra 40SW barrel
4" bbl revolver -357 mag
pump shotgun - 12ga
SArifle/carbine- 22LR (hmCAN will have to do in this scenario)
6" Kabar knife
Edit:
's
would leave with a min of a 1000rds of 10mm, .357mag, 12ga slugs and 5000rds of .22LR which is already on hand.

Most of the people I know keep a min. of 100rds for each caliber owned on hand.

Marco

imported post

I really only ever have enough to fill my mags, and a few extra rounds left
I usually have a little more ammo than it takes to fill all of my mags.
Consider buying aextra box everytime you go shooting.
Similar to what people do with canned/prepared foods for emergencies.
Buy two, save one shoot one.
Or purchase a bolt action or revolver in .22LR, ammo/guns can be foundcheap.
And can be used to upgrade if need be.

Marco

imported post

expvideo wrote:
Why does the dog have ammo?

They'll be pulling my sled loaded with ammo or they'll be packing it on their backs.
I can't carry 8000rds.

Edit::p

Trigger Dr

imported post

Take a Ruger 10-22. Put optics on it and grab a handful of 25 round mags. You can carry 10,000 rounds in a back pack and are good to go for anything out to 150 meters Beyond that distance, use your cover, concealment, escape and evasion training.

Marco

imported post

Take a Ruger 10-22. Put optics on it and grab a handful of 25 round mags.
gunmag2.gif

File photo
Bushnell Holosight/ currently it has Millet 3x9 40mm scope on it.
Will bring it to the range on our next NoVA range day.