• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Off topic: Barrels on the Brandywine wine tasting tour...

dave_in_delaware

imported post

Well, seeing as how we're planning our next OC meeting already, and the fact that March also includes other happenings, too...

I'd like to personally invite every wine drinker (or at least, taster)here along with me and my fiancee (and another gun nut from XDtalk) to the Barrels on the Brandywine wine tasting tour with us. I'll be the designated driver (I don't like wine at all) so you don't have to worry about that (unless, of course, we have more interested than my van can carry). We plan on hitting every winery that's open for the tour in one day, which will have to be either the weekend of the 8th/9th, or the weekend of the 22nd/23rd (due to my visitation schedule w/ my kids)....

For those who don't know what this is about, every March the local wineries put on a "tour" where you can not only sample the wines that they have for sale, but also the wines that are IN the barrels and awaiting aging/bottling for sometime in the future. This is particularly "cool" since it allows you to sample the wines currently being aged, and then NEXT year (once they're bottled and for sale) you can sample them again and see how they've improved.... Or, it's just a chance to sample more wines. LOL.

However you look at it, I know it's a fun time, and I don't even like wine!! Let me know somehow (PM, email, post here) if you're interested in coming with us, and we'll work out a date/time after we figure out our next OC meeting date.

And FYI: this is not an "official" OC event, as all the wineries are in PA, where I can't OC. But still, it'll be a great time nonetheless! And I'd be honored if I could share it w/ my OCDO friends.

Here's a little write-up about BotB:

BARRELS ON THE BRANDYWINE
March 1 & 2, 8 & 9, 15 & 16, 22, 29 & 30 • 12 noon – 5 p.m.
The six wineries of the Brandywine Valley Wine Trail will be showing off their brand new 2007 vintage during the month of March. On each Saturday & Sunday, these local winegrowers and vintners will open their cellars and tasting rooms for barrel tastings, tours, music, art shows, food, and other special events. Visitors may purchase a Wine Trail Passport (for $25) from any of the Wine Trail members, which includes a tasting at each winery, a Wine Trail logo glass and a complimentary Wine Trail “pulltap” corkscrew.

Each year the Brandywine Valley Wine Trail wineries come up with special activities for Passport holders during Barrels on the Brandywine, ranging from music and art shows to BBQs and barrel tastings. Some of the highlights of the 2008 event include a “Gumbo Kitchen” at Twin Brook, Cheeseburgers in Paradise at “Paradocxville,” juicy grilled sandwiches by Fat Cat BBQ at Va La, Vineyard Tours at Folly Hill, “Lucky Leprechaun Sales” at Kreutz Creek, and Barrel Tastings in the cellar at Chaddsford Winery.

VIEW SCHEDULED ACTIVITIES

PLEASE NOTE: On Easter Sunday, March 23 there will be NO Barrels on the Brandywine Activities scheduled for that day ñ however Kreutz Creek, Folly Hill, Paradocx, and Va La will be open for regular tastings..