• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Bersa .380

ChefW

imported post

Does anyone have any info on the bersa thunder in .380 ACP? I saw this little beauty on the net and was shocked by the price $230.00! Let me know

sprat

imported post

Chef

see my reply on the meeting # 3 thread. I would avoid the bersa, should you need mags or parts in the future they will be hard to find and the resale value is not there

go glock, sig or walther

sprat

sprat

imported post

DSF

very good except the chef say's he can't affort to get anything but something in the Bersa price range,

IMHO he can't affort to buy a bersa at any price. well he asked for opinions and I gave mine. I wish him all the best.

sprat

Jeff the Baptist

imported post

Wow this got me to actual register...

A few online reviews see Gunblast:
http://www.gunblast.com/Bersa_Thunder380.htm
Handguns:
http://www.handgunsmag.com/featured_handguns/bersa_thunder/
Chuck Hawks:
http://www.chuckhawks.com/bersa_380.htm
Les Jones:
http://www.lesjones.com/posts/001097.shtml

The Bersa Chapterhouse also has a lot of good bersa content and links to Bersa related forums:
http://www.geocities.com/bersa_thunder/

I don't own one, but I've thought about it. The online consensus is that the Bersa is a nice little blowback .380. Despite it's low price it has a good reputation for reliability and is pretty accurate. It is aluminum framed, so there is some concern about longevity, but it seems to hold up for at least several thousand rounds. Like Sprat said, it will never be worth lots of money. While holsters are more available than they used to be, even good spare magazines or new grips can be tough to come by.

It is competitive with similar guns of it's design type like the Sig 232 or the PPK/S. The sig is probably a better made gun, but it also costs over twice as much. The PPK/S isn't a better gun. Not only does the Bersa cost significantly less, but it has a better trigger, is more reliable, and doesn't slide bite like Walthers (or the sig for that matter).

The problems? Well it is a blowback so its kind of big and heavy for something that slings a .380 round. Kahr and Keltec both make guns of similar size that shoot 9mm (or shoot the same round but are smaller). But they cost more and are generally harder to shoot well. The bersa isn't big in absolute terms, but you probably want a holster not a pocket.

ChefW

imported post

Well I think I'm just gonna wait until my first trip back from afghanistan. With a little more coin in my pocket then I'm gonna get the semi-auto of my dreams. It's a fight between the XD-45 and the M&P .45 by smith and wesson. I just hope that I don't get tarred and feathered by the XD clan if i go with the smithy. Thanks for the info all!

RedRuger

imported post

I own both the Bersa 380 Thunder and the Bersa 380 Thunder Concealed Carry. I have put about 300 rounds thru the 380 Thunder and about 250 rounds thru the Concealed Carry with only one failure to eject. I have fired both standard FMJ and Corbon JHP. I would not consider these guns for extensive week to week range use, however I think they would work well as a carry gun.

The Bersa 380 Thunder has adjustable sights, good grips, and a nice feel at least to me.

The Bersa 380 Thunder Concealed Carry is slightly slimmer, has minimal (and I do mean minimal) fixed sights, and no sharp protrusions anywhere. The CC should be more than adiquate at ranges involving personal protection if you think that 380 is ok for personal protection.

I have seen them both reasonably priced at Acadame

ChefW

imported post

DSF Training wrote:
ChefW

When your ready to buy let me know, I'll put you in touch with someone who "may" find you a good price on what your looking for. Right nowhe's out of the country should be back in about a month.
Sounds good. I'll let you know.

stephpd

imported post

That xd clan better stop the tar and feathering. As a Taurus owner I'll probably be at the front of that line. Only thing cheaper is a hi-point.:shock:

Pauly

imported post

My wife carries a Bersa Thunder. It is a nice piece for the money. (hey, it's not a hot point) She has fired over 500 rounds through it since she got it in November. It jammed once or twice but I believe it was because she didn't have a firm grip on the gun. Once I explained the importance of 'tight wrist' she hasn't had any more issues.

dave_in_delaware

imported post

ChefW wrote:
...I just hope that I don't get tarred and feathered by the XD clan if i go with the smithy. Thanks for the info all!
stephpd wrote:
That xd clan better stop the tar and feathering. As a Taurus owner I'll probably be at the front of that line. Only thing cheaper is a hi-point.:shock:
OK, OK... how about just a small public flogging instead? :p

Just kidding guys! You are free to buy whichever gun you feel "good" about and works for you.

And welcome to the forum, Jeff!!

dave_in_delaware

imported post

I posted your "interest" in this gun over on XDtalk. I'll let you know what people think about it. Hopefully there are a few people w/ first-hand experience with it who can provide opinionson it for you....Actually you should be able to follow along here: http://www.xdtalk.com/forums/non-xd-other-gun-discussion-area/62139-bersa-thunder-380-acp-opinions-owners.htmlYou just can't post unless you become a member....

Also, go to http://bersatalk.com/forums/16/ShowForum.aspxand read up on other owners' posts....

Jeff the Baptist

imported post

Welcome to the forum Jeff the Baptist. Good post with references. Are you from DE?
Well like a lot of Delawareans, I'm actually from somewhere else. I grew up about a mile over the border in Pennsylvania, but my family went to church in Wilmington my whole life. I've lived in and around Newark for over a decade now, first as a college student, then grad school. I became a legal resident several years ago when I got a job in Maryland and Delaware became an excellent free(-er) state from which to commute.

But enough about me...

ijusam

imported post

Welcome Jeff,

ChefW, I have a bersa thunder .380 I bought as a pocket gun when my P3AT broke. it's a little large for a pocket gun but will work with loose pants. I have put about 200 rounds through it and haven't got any FTEs. I am getting FTFs. The weird thing is the FTF is straight up like a stovepipe fail to extract. happens about once every other mag and withboth the original mag and an aftermarket one. Its not a bad gun and at defensive ranges will put them where you need them. I sure hope it works through its problem.