• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Canada, U.S. agree to use each other's troops in civil emergencies

LEO 229

imported post

What emergencies have we had or happen that we would need Canadians to come rescue us? Aye?

Flintlock

imported post

LEO 229 wrote:
What emergencies have we had or happen that we would need Canadians to come rescue us? Aye?
It seems to me that there is no reason for this agreement to take place unless there was some intent on it's use. The administration and New Orleanshas received a lot of flak from the Katrina debocle and agreements like this after-the-fact worry me a bit. Several states have passed laws reafirming that guns will not be confiscated during a crisis, as if that "law" already didn't exist... The federal government passed a similar law - Homeland Security appropriations bills, H.R. 5441. A federal judge ruled after Katrinathat the confiscations were unconstitutional but the state and federal governmentswent ahead a passed these laws anyway. That's not to mention the Posse Comitatus Act, which states thatfederal troops cannot police our own citizens.

It is my belief that the option for improprietieswill always be left open if the situation is bad enough. Private security firms like Blackwater and troops from other nations like Canada are not bound by Posse Comitatus and it remains to be seen if they are bound by, or will abide by, these "newly passed" laws.

I live in a border state to Canada. Many of you do as well. I am separated from the rest of the continental United States. If something devastating happens, I am concerned that given the close proximity to our Canadian neighbors,their"use" of military personnelmay be more of an availableoption to our government than say if there is a problem in South Carolina.

LEO 229

imported post

If Blackwater comes to my door making demands... we are going to have a problem. :X

Tomahawk

imported post

LEO 229 wrote:
If Blackwater comes to my door making demands... we are going to have a problem. :X

They will be protected by some sort of deputization or law. I am assuming they'll have their bases covered, and resistance will be futile.

320x240.jpg

imperialism2024

imported post

Tomahawk wrote:
LEO 229 wrote:

They will be protected by some sort of deputization or law. I am assuming they'll have their bases covered, and resistance will be futile.

Except for those nasty .30-06 rifle rounds that blow right through body armor...