• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Chicago mayor in group pushing for gun laws in wake of NIU shootings

kmcdowel

imported post

Chicago mayor in group pushing for gun laws in wake of NIU shootings
Mayor Richard Daley and other elected officials pointed to the fatal shootings at Northern Illinois University and a Lane Bryant store as reasons to act as they announced their annual push for new gun-control legislation.

The officials Tuesday again said they will push a package of proposals that includes several bills that have repeatedly been introduced in Springfield, before meeting heavy opposition from gun-rights advocates.

“Gun violence is responsible for the deaths of nearly 30,000 Americans every year, many of them young people,” Daley said.

Oak Park Village President David Pope recited a list of shootings on school campuses nationwide in recent months, including the latest at NIU.

“If we can’t adopt somesensible legislationin the aftermath of what we just recently experienced in DeKalb, I have no idea when this is going to happen,” Pope said.

The National Rifle Association, which considers the annual legislative package an attempt to infringe on gun owners’ rights, declined to comment on specifics of the legislation or Daley’s remarks.

“We think it is poor form for a politician or a special-interest group to try to push a legislative agenda on the back of any tragedy,” NRA spokesman Andrew Arulanandam said. “Now is the time for the Northern Illinois University community to grieve and to heal. We believe there is adequate time down the road to debate policy and politics.”

Among the measures in the package of bills being pushed by Daley and others would require buyer background checks in private sales of handguns; impose more stringent requirements to safeguard firearms in places where there are children, and ban gun magazines that hold more than 10 rounds of ammunition.

Because this, of course, will keep guns out of the hands of criminals.

EDIT: forgot link

Johnyt101

imported post

I contacted one of my members of the Dupage County Board yesturday and kindly urged him to support the pro second amendment resolution that has been sweeping the state and he actually replied to me the same day. He said that he would be more than happy to help. He gave me his cell phone number and told me to call him today. So Ill give him a call and hopefully he can help get the ball rolling! If Dupage passes the resolution it would be huge and show Cook County that they are alone in their gun grabbing beliefs.

I_Hate_Illinois

imported post

Johnyt101 wrote:
I contacted one of my members of the Dupage County Board yesturday and kindly urged him to support the pro second amendment resolution that has been sweeping the state and he actually replied to me the same day. He said that he would be more than happy to help. He gave me his cell phone number and told me to call him today. So Ill give him a call and hopefully he can help get the ball rolling! If Dupage passes the resolution it would be huge and show Cook County that they are alone in their gun grabbing beliefs.
Hell yes!!! They are alone. Screw Crook County.

liquordepot

imported post

I am 2nd generation hunter and gun owner, and I am happy to hear about your plans for a gun range in Wood dale. I would bring my 20 and 17 year old sons to Gun World on Irving Park Road to target shoot, to teach them to respect firearms, like my dad taught me when I was a boy.
I am a 14 year resident of Elk Grove Village, and a business owner in the City of Chicago. I was a patron of Gun World on Irving park Road, until 'the godfather' and anti-gun activist Mayor Daley decided to steal the property right from under the residents and business owners of that area in Bensenville. Daley was overjoyed to close down Gun World in the name of his 'grand scheme' of progress.
It's sad that when an inner city child is gunned down in a drive-by in Daley’s crime, gang and drug infested city, he's all over the media babbling about how we have to confiscate guns from all people in Illinois. Well, let’s take the next step and confiscate knives because an elderly lady was stabbed on an inner city train platform, or take away all of the baseball bats because a kid was whacked with a bat at his little league game....THIS MAN DALEY IS TOTALLY OUT OF TOUCH! He’s the same genius made me spend over $13,000 to have a 4 foot tall black wrought iron fence installed around the parking area of my business in Chicago. STUPID! I personally am friends with Alderman Mike Zalewski <23[sup]rd[/sup] ward>, and even he was opposed to the fences in his ward.
I’m also a strong supporter of ‘concealed carry’ in Illinois. 48 states in the union now have some form of legal firearm concealed carry permits, and it’s statistically proven that in these states, the crime rate drops SIGNIFICANTLY!
Please defend mine and my 4 sons 2nd amendment right to bear arms, and let Gun World reopen in the wonderful town of Wood dale!!!!