• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

north carolina carry at work

F3RR3T

imported post

ill be moving up to NC the 17th (new hanover county)

if i have permission of the owner can i open or conceal carry on the business property?

DreQo

State Researcher
imported post

Depends on the business. If you're not prohibited from carrying there by law, my advice to you would simply be conceal and don't ask, don't tell.

I asked my old boss how he felt about me carrying, and he said it was fine. Then he asked that I conceal because people were asking questions, so I did so. Sometimes I had it in carry bag, and then he asked that I keep it on my person since the bag could turn up missing. So I got a hold of my P3AT, and it stayed in my pocket while at work. Well this guy ends up firing me after working for him for almost 3 months, and wouldn't give a reason. After I "informed" him that his behavior warranted me warning his clients that he was a nut case, he explained that he wasn't comfortable with a firearm in the workplace. This is the same guy that had me bring my cleaning kit over to show him how to clean his Walther PPK/s, and mentioned multiple times that he'd like to go to the range with me.

This is why I strongly suggest you just keep it concealed when it comes to your job. You never know how people are going to react, and some people just have issues. On that note, anyone know of any job openings in the area? :D

DreQo

State Researcher
imported post

You think? It was within the initial 90 days. As far as I know you can fire someone for any reason within the first 90 days and you're not even required to give a reason. Correct me if I'm wrong there..

.40 Cal

State Researcher
imported post

Employment at will doesn't have a time limit. Day one to last day on the job, NC is an employment at will state. That 90 day mark is mostly just to keep from offering benefits to someone they don't think will work out. The question is: did the company have a written no firearms policy? If not, then he had to give you a chance by telling you not to carry anymore. Were there other factors that he could use against you as an employee? Were there any complaints thatwere addressed? These are the questions you need to ask.

OTOH, what difference would it make? Get a better job and leave that one in the dirt.

BTW: IANAL, but I am a consultant for an HR company.

DreQo

State Researcher
imported post

Honestly I just think the guy has personal issues. I was making him an incredible amount of money (sales), and he was very pleased. We had had discussions in the past about how I would eventually be in a managerial position, and we often talked about our thoughts on improving the company. Then one weekend (I swear he was drunk) he e-mails me and says things aren't working out. The guy's a few eggs short of a carton.

I'll just leave it behind me and continue to live my life. If he continues to treat people that way, his business wont last long.

jack

Banned
imported post

.40 Cal wrote:
Smells like discrimination and a law suit. More than enough to bring him into court and test the limits of his liability policy. (these are things my job deals with ;))

Gun owners are not protected under any Federal or State anti-discrimination laws. Additionally North Carolina is a employ at will State, which basically means an employer can terminate you at any time for any reason or without any reason .

The exceptions being those covered by a collective bargaining agreement (union yes types) , and of course Federal & State Anti- discrimination laws (none of which protect gun owners).

Literally an employer could legally place an ad saying , "we don't discriminate against race, ethic orgin, religion or sexual orientation (that one depends on the particular State) but if you OWN and carry a firearm WE WILL NOT HIRE YOU. If we hire you and find out you own/carry a gun you will be immediately terminated."

We as the gun owner would have zero recourse, it's just not actionable under our current laws.

DreQo

State Researcher
imported post

jack wrote:
.40 Cal wrote:
Smells like discrimination and a law suit. More than enough to bring him into court and test the limits of his liability policy. (these are things my job deals with ;))

Gun owners are not protected under any Federal or State anti-discrimination laws. Additionally North Carolina is a employ at will State, which basically means an employer can terminate you at any time for any reason or without any reason .

The exceptions being those covered by a collective bargaining agreement (union yes types) , and of course Federal & State Anti- discrimination laws (none of which protect gun owners).

Literally an employer could legally place an ad saying , "we don't discriminate against race, ethic orgin, religion or sexual orientation (that one depends on the particular State) but if you OWN and carry a firearm WE WILL NOT HIRE YOU. If we hire you and find out you own/carry a gun you will be immediately terminated."

We as the gun owner would have zero recourse, it's just not actionable under our current laws.
...which is why I strongly suggest you just don't ask your employer...ever.

F3RR3T

imported post

the reason i ask is im 18 and dont have a chl. and wanted to make sure i was within my right to conceal or open carry with the owners permission.

i rather get the ok from them seeing that this is a quarenteed 3000-4500 a month job

DreQo

State Researcher
imported post

Hmm so you don't have a permit, and you're wondering if you can conceal on someone else's private property? Is that what you're wondering?

F3RR3T

imported post

DreQo wrote:
Hmm so you don't have a permit, and you're wondering if you can conceal on someone else's private property? Is that what you're wondering?
yep ;)

F3RR3T

DreQo

State Researcher
imported post

Legally? Yes. Let me stress, though, that asking your employer permission could very seriously cause you to lose your job (my case in point). Normally, when asking permission, the worst someone could say is no. In this situation, however, I'm afraid "things aren't working out" is much worse than no.

Another option that you may or may not have considered is totake the time to weigh the risks and benefits of NOT carrying at work. Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but legally you can open carry in your vehicle, and then secure the weapon in your vehicle as you're exiting, without ever actually "concealing" the weapon.

I know you'd rather carry absolutely anywhere you legally can (as do I), but in this case the opinions of others may have to out-weigh your own personal desires for the time being. Whatever you choose to do, be careful and think it through.

F3RR3T

imported post

im not one on what ifs.

but say i am working at said business and someone is robbing us. may i legally draw and order them to the ground (i know i may not shoot until a equal threat for example him charging or pulling a weapon)

DreQo

State Researcher
imported post

If you or someone else are in immediate fear for their life, and cannot safely retreat, then you would probablybe justified in using deadly force to stop the threat. Deadly force is NOT the same as threatening deadly force. The only State I know of where "brandishing" your firearm to deter someone is legal is Arizona, and that was passed rather recently.

F3RR3T

imported post

DreQo wrote:
If you or someone else are in immediate fear for their life, and cannot safely retreat, then you would probablybe justified in using deadly force to stop the threat. Deadly force is NOT the same as threatening deadly force. The only State I know of where "brandishing" your firearm to deter someone is legal is Arizona, and that was passed rather recently.

SRY for the slow reply im packing and will be leaving for NC in the morning.

i can carry in my car as long as it is visible correct? ammo can be in the handgun "cocked and locked"< i carry a fullsize 1911

also im really nervous about OC there is no law i can make a copy of and carry with me?

also worried about going "armed to the terror of the public.

anyone around the fayettville area that OC's

DreQo

State Researcher
imported post

There's really no law to print out since since there's no law that says it's legal to open carry. The catch is there's no law that says you CAN'T open carry...so you can! :)

Keep the weapon visible at all times, stay out of the off-limits areas, and you'll be fine. Loaded, cocked, and locked is the way to be :D.

F3RR3T

imported post

DreQo wrote:
There's really no law to print out since since there's no law that says it's legal to open carry. The catch is there's no law that says you CAN'T open carry...so you can! :)

Keep the weapon visible at all times, stay out of the off-limits areas, and you'll be fine. Loaded, cocked, and locked is the way to be :D.

HMM whens the next time theres going to be a open carry lunch?

so if harrassed by the cops just tell them its legal because there is no law saying its not?

also whats going armed to the terror of the public

Doug Huffman

Banned
Washington Island, across Death's Door, Wisconsin,
imported post

So much for "im not one on what ifs." The devil is in the details, the 'what ifs' that make the difference between a job and freedom ("just another word for nothin' left to lose.")

A $60K per annum job, guaranteed, is worth a whole lot of 'what ifs.'

The Sailors that I worked with universally expected to make $50K at EOS. I wonder how many did.