• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Red Alert Guys!

Eagleeye

imported post

Link: http://thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=343109

Summary:

Guy OC's to Movies, gets approached by a Rather rude Manager and told about a hiden No-Weapons Sign.

Puts Sidearm in Car, Goes back to Watch Movie, is "Detained" by Police, Now Facing Charges of "negligent carrying of a concealed handgun".:banghead:

----------------------------------------------------

Either this is an attempted "Frame" by the Harahan LA Police (Which wouldn't suprise me), or they guy is making it up in order to Discredit OC'ers.

Not sure which myself.
(Note: If comfortador of THR is reading, i'm not calling you a liar, just pointing out a possibility, if it's true, please say so here)
http://thehighroad.org/member.php?u=63259

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Looks like he's getting good advice about getting a lawyer.

I can't remember my log-on over there. Anybody want to invite him over here?

deepdiver

Campaign Veteran
imported post

I am nineteen and living in the greater New Orleans area.
As Adam Savage on the Mythbusters would say, "Well there's your problem!"

I can't go to the New Orleans area ever again because if a cop would say anything to me about any type of violation I would be too tempted to say, "Isn't there a Walmart somewhere you need to be looting?"

Eagleeye

imported post

deepdiver wrote:
I can't go to the New Orleans area ever again because if a cop would say anything to me about any type of violation I would be too tempted to say, "Isn't there a Walmart somewhere you need to be looting?"
*Tries not to Laugh Hysterically*

Good one!
rofltl4.gif

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
imported post

deepdiver wrote:
Hahahahhahahah!

"Isn't your Mayor in enough trouble over mistreating gun owners?"

Eagleeye

imported post

And the Topic has Allready Snagged a newly registered Anti-OC Troll...

Username: ants

Here's 3 posts they made one right after the other.

Post #22:

Just a thought...

Quote: He then informs me, somewhat rudely, that the theater has a no weapons policy. It turns out they have a smallish sign on the bottom corner of a door that I have never seen anyone use in my many years going to this theater.

Since the theater is private property, and they had a no-weapons rule (it doesn't matter that no one uses that particular door, nor that you didn't see the sign, it was posted legally) I would bet the negligent carry charge is related to trespassing. In addition, the manager called the police to complain about your violation of their policy, which leads to...

Quote: When the handgun is being carried, brandished, or displayed under circumstances that create a reasonable apprehension on the part of members of the public or a law enforcement official that a crime is being committed or is about to be committed.

The crime, of course, is trespassing. That's what you committed by entering their property with a weapon. Ask your attorney about that. Maybe he can explain better.

Post# 23:

I gotta tell ya, friend, it's a whole lot better to be smart than to be in a mess o' trouble. You didn't intend to do anything wrong, but you sure got yourself in deep. Now, that wasn't very smart, was it?

The big mistake is to misunderstand "open carry". Just because Louisiana is 'open carry' doesn't mean you can carry everywhere with impunity. You cannot carry on private property if the property owner prohibits it.

Post # 24:

Final thought, my friend. Maybe your attorney (and I certainly hope you get what you pay for) can plea down to a very small minor violation and do some community service for the theater.
If you get convicted on a weapons charge, you can kiss your 2nd Amendment rights goodbye.
And you don't want to do that. So ask your attorney if there are creative alternatives to keeping your rights

Talk about Not only Throwing the Guy under the Bus, But also attempting to "Scare Him" Into thinking OC is technically Illegal and can result in a Disquallifying Conviction.

This guy makes me sick.

deepdiver

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Eagleeye wrote:
And the Topic has Allready Snagged a newly registered Anti-OC Troll...

Username: ants

Here's 3 posts they made one right after the other.

snip
That guy is almost wrong enough, out of line enough and jackass enough to make me want to register just to offer him my opinion. Almost ....

imperialism2024

imported post

cato wrote:
A tape recorder would have served him well. Hope he had one.

I'm not so convinced I buy into the usefulness of tape recorders. Either LEOs are going to follow the law, and the tape recorder won't be needed; or LEOs are going to follow thier own version of the law, and in that case a missing tape recorder or one smashed on the ground isn't going to do much good.

Or am I missing something? :?

longwatch

Founder's Club Member - Moderator
imported post

imperialism2024 wrote:
cato wrote:
A tape recorder would have served him well. Hope he had one.

I'm not so convinced I buy into the usefulness of tape recorders. Either LEOs are going to follow the law, and the tape recorder won't be needed; or LEOs are going to follow thier own version of the law, and in that case a missing tape recorder or one smashed on the ground isn't going to do much good.

I can think of 4 or 5 situations off the top of my head where a recorder caught bad behavior of LEOs. Sure a rogue cop might find it and destroy it, but they might not.

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
imported post

imperialism2024 wrote:
SNIP I'm not so convinced I buy into the usefulness of tape recorders. Either LEOs are going to follow the law, and the tape recorder won't be needed; or LEOs are going to follow thier own version of the law, and in that case a missing tape recorder or one smashed on the ground isn't going to do much good.

There is a middle ground where the LEO doesn't follow the law, but doesn't arrest. A voice-recorder makes unavoidable evidence to back up a complaint.

Numerous non-arrestpolice contacts have been reported where a voice-recorder would have caught themisbehaving officer'swords.

imperialism2024

imported post

Citizen wrote:
imperialism2024 wrote:
SNIP I'm not so convinced I buy into the usefulness of tape recorders. Either LEOs are going to follow the law, and the tape recorder won't be needed; or LEOs are going to follow thier own version of the law, and in that case a missing tape recorder or one smashed on the ground isn't going to do much good.

There is a middle ground where the LEO doesn't follow the law, but doesn't arrest. A voice-recorder makes unavoidable evidence to back up a complaint.

Numerous non-arrestpolice contacts have been reported where a voice-recorder would have caught themisbehaving officer'swords.
Fair enough. I'm guessing you're referring to the "don't open carry here again or else I'll bring you in on trumped up charges" threats and such?

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
imported post

imperialism2024 wrote:
Fair enough. I'm guessing you're referring to the "don't open carry here again or else I'll bring you in on trumped up charges" threats and such?

Exactly. Including, but not limited to, unlawful detentions, extra-lawful ID demands, discourteous lectures against OC, etc.

longwatch

Founder's Club Member - Moderator
imported post

I have a theory that in the youtube era we will find ever increasing levels of professionalism in law enforcement, but we must do our part to make it so.

Tomahawk

imported post

longwatch wrote:
I have a theory that in the youtube era we will find ever increasing levels of professionalism in law enforcement, but we must do our part to make it so.
I am surprised we haven't seen a wave of "anti-harassment of LEO" laws shoved in our faces yet, especially since we are expected to waive all our freedoms in the post-9/11 era. I think we will have to be vigilant to protect the First Ammendment as well once the police lobby and the legislatures get wise to this youtube phenomenon.